Official Review: Strange Luck by Amie Irene Winters

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rachel_jacks
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Official Review: Strange Luck by Amie Irene Winters

Post by rachel_jacks »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Strange Luck" by Amie Irene Winters.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Strange Luck speaks to the child in all of us as we follow Daisy's journey through Nameless in this fantasy adventure novel. Daisy is a bright, almost-eighteen-year-old that works with her father in their "antique" shop, "Strange Luck". Daisy's greatest dream is to travel and have adventures, but her dad is in poor health and she must take over running the shop. While Daisy is very knowledgeable about antiques, she is not a believer in the items that come into their shop. Her family's shop will only buy/sell items that possess mystical qualities. One item in particular has caught her attention; it is a very old letter addressed to a "Mr. Farnsworth". Daisy has been forbidden from opening this envelope, same as every other family member before her. On this particular day, Daisy and her best friend, Roger, have an encounter with a man claiming to be a relative of the addressee, Mr. Farnsworth. This man is adamant that he get the letter today. Daisy is more compelled than ever to open the letter and see what's inside. Daisy's belief in magic and mystics is challenged the moment she opens that letter and she enters a world where dreams become reality.

Winters is a first-time author, but she created an amazing work of art with this story. Much like the Defeater, Winters has a creative mind and excelled at putting her thoughts into words. She has created realistic characters for her story and then expanded that into an unrealistic, fantasy world. The plot is full of adventure, fun, and a little romance in the midst of a fight between good and evil.

As I read, I found that the writing style in this novel reminded me of Cohen's style in Land of Stories. It is very well-written, but has a juvenile feel to it. It suggests that the target audience would be around children ages 8 to 12. I wouldn't say that's a hard limit, as I quite enjoyed the book. However, the vocabulary and the dialogue used are for a younger audience. There are a couple of mildly graphic scenes later in the novel that might deter readers lower in that age range, especially if they are not used to reading about or seeing violence. My suggestion would be for an adult to read it first and decide if it is appropriate for their child.

There is a great lesson about believing in yourself that is woven throughout the story. Daisy is more than skeptical about magical anything. If someone told her she could fly, she would laugh. On her journey, Daisy learns that she can do anything she believes she can do. So, if she believed she could fly, then she could. Roger, the optimist in the story, was a huge supporter of Daisy. He was her rock. The message to readers is about having faith in yourself and being a good friend.

The only complaint I have about this novel is that it is not on my (tangible) bookshelf. Strange Luck by Amie Irene Winters is definitely a 4 out of 4 stars book. I am definitely hoping from more from Winters!

Strange Luck
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like rachel_jacks's review? Post a comment saying so!
Journey beyond the jacket.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”