Hunger games volunteer?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
karigirl84
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karigirl84.html

Re: Hunger games volunteer?

Post by karigirl84 »

I enjoyed the Hunger Games series, and I also have two sisters, that would be a really hard decision to make. I would really like to think that I, without hesitation would stand up and take their place, but I just don't know. I love them both but the horrors that awaited Katniss just make me cower inside. I most likely would have overthought the situation so much that by the time I made a decision it would have been too late.
Calliekins
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Calliekins »

I would take the place of any of my family members with no doubt of hestitations
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

I don't have siblings, and I'm definitely not confident in my survival skills... or rather, I'm confident in my survival skills, but the idea that I might have to defend myself and have a chance of hurting someone instead of just incapacitating them makes me nervous.
amakovec
Currently Reading: Under the Dome
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amakovec.html

Post by amakovec »

I don't have a little sister, but I do have a little brother. We have been through a lot together and if he was chosen to participate in the Hunger Games, I would volunteer without giving it a second thought. I definitely would do anything I could to keep him safe even if that means putting my own life at risk.
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 »

That's a really interesting question because it is really easy for me to say yes without being in the situation. Honestly if it was my daughter, I know I would volunteer in a heartbeat. No questions ask. For my sister, I'm not sure because she has some spunk. I think I would be really sad but my sister is also close to my age so I think we both would've had the same chance. Since I have a daughter and husband, I don't think I would be able to volunteer myself for that especially since she doesn't have a family. She is single with no ties.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I don't have biological siblings nor do I have any children, so it is hard for me to imagine wanting to save a sibling or a child's life and to volunteer in their place. This is probably an unpopular response, which might change if I were in the actual situation, but I would say that no, I do not think I would volunteer.
Abailey717
Currently Reading: The Winner's Crime
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Abailey717 »

It's hard to say exactly what I would do in such a heated situation because I've never been in a situation like that. I would like to think that I would volunteer for her, I mean I would volunteer for her but you never know how you're truely going to react. I could get so nervous my mouth disobeys my mind and clams up. So much that I am unable to voice my choice and by the time I did it might be too late. I hope that if it came down to it I would not fail her and be able to speak up.
Bri2000
Favorite Author: all authers
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri2000.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Bri2000 »

I have both brothers and sisters younger than I am, and would volunteer for them even if I thought I wouldn't make it till the end. Just so they could have a chance to live another year. But at the same time would anyone want to live a year in that situation? Wondering if they might do something wrong and get punished, chosen at the next reaping, or dying of hunger. :?:
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
Meggie Lou
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meggie-lou.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Meggie Lou »

This is a hard question to answer. I’d like to think that I would volunteer for my younger siblings, but at the same time I know that at least one of them would have more of a chance than I would at surviving the games. I am not what you would call an outdoor kind of girl. I prefer curling up with a good book ?
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

I want to say yes, but to be honest I wouldn't volunteer. I only have an older sister and, while I love her, she can take care of herself way better than I can. I'm too much of a coward and too weak to volunteer, even if it breaks my heart to have the other person go. I wish I was brave enough to volunteer.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

Stephgoud wrote:That's a very hard question. I don't have a sister so It's hard for me to volunteer for her. But at the same time, I wouldn't be able to see my little sister get killed. The heart that Katnis has for her family, is incredible and she has the courage too. If I was her, I would of done the same! I would of volunteered. Family comes first!
I feel the same exact way! It is so hard to imagine, but I can't imagine watching my young, fragile sister be murdered.
sophiemer642
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 97930">The Popularity Papers (The Popularity Papers #1)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114

Post by sophiemer642 »

If Prim is my younger sister, I would most definitely volunteer for her. I have two younger sisters, and evem though they are ridiculously annoying, I believe it is my job to protect them. If Prim was not my younger sister, I doubt I would have volunteered. I would have a family to look after, and they would be very upset seeing me torn to shreds by tributes of other districts.
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

I'd like to think that I would volunteer. I feel like this would be a chance for me to better provide for my family (if I could win).
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
Shireks Nancy
Currently Reading: My Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shireks-nancy.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Post by Shireks Nancy »

I don't think I would have volunteered, it is one thing to love your sister, and completely another thing to give up your life for her. The courage to die on behalf of another person is only reserved for fictional heroes.
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I think I would. I think I'd do it for my little brother. Although it honestly would've been a super impulsive thing and I'd constantly be like, "why did I do that?". Basically, because I have the same skill set as a twelve-year-old. There's also the chance that I'd be in too much shock to do anything until after I couldn't. Then I'd live with regret and think I'd have had more of a chance of surviving than I really do.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”