Official Review: Code Name: Dodger by Eric Auxier

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Official Review: Code Name: Dodger by Eric Auxier

Post by ananya92 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Code Name: Dodger" by Eric Auxier.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Code Name: Dodger (Operation Rubber Soul) by Eric Auxier is a young adult novel which follows the story of fourteen year old Justin. It is the first installment in the series. Justice Malcolm Reed, or Justin, as he prefers to be known, is a street smart, mischievous orphan living in Brooklyn. He and his group of friends invite trouble all too often, but his latest escapade where they stole the school bus in the middle of night and went off on a three-state spree, might have just been a bit too much. He isn’t sent away to juvenile prison, as he fears, but is instead taken away for a psychological experiment. Unexpectedly, Justin lands straight in the middle of a CIA operation, which is connected to his father’s murder. Will Justin discover the secret his father meant him to find, or will he get eliminated the same way his father was?

The author has weaved an uncomplicated, yet interesting plot for the readers. Initially, I felt that the plot was similar to some other young adult spy thrillers I had read, since it features a familiar combination of an orphan whose parent was murdered, who receives training to become a spy and who seeks revenge for his father’s murder. However, a multi-dimensional protagonist sets apart this book from the rest.

The author’s smooth and almost flawless execution of the plotline, gives the novel a refreshing advantage over other novels in this genre. The story is fast paced, with well choreographed action scenes and bits of simple humor to keep the reader entertained. For instance, when Justin is informed that he’ll be taught “highly specialized skills such as covert surveillance, intelligence gathering, unobserved target area penetration, self defense, and enemy disposal techniques”, his mental response is “I had to admit, the guy had lots of fancy names for spying, stealing, fighting and killing”.

Justin’s character is a bit of a puzzle, and pleasantly so. He has clearly experienced a hardened life on the streets, but he isn’t attracted to drugs or becoming part of a street gang. In fact, he pulls his friends away from that kind of life, too. On the other hand, he is up to some mischief every other day and escapes from his orphanage at the first opportunity. As a lead character, he has a strong sense of good and bad. His self-assuredness isn't an annoyance, and coupled with his sensitivity, it charms the reader. Another facet of his character which is quite likeable is that he doesn’t burn for revenge; he just wants justice for his father and doesn’t want to end up killing anyone.

The author has sketched some other interesting characters in this novel like Bob, the CIA agent who shelters and trains Justin. Justin looks up to him with a mixture of a father figure and a teacher. The author portrays the yawning gap in Justin’s life after his father died, in short snippets, like when Justin says that all he ever wanted in life was to go fishing with his father. Justin hopes that Bob will fill that void in his life.

Through characters like Justin’s friends Randy and Doug, or Mira, an illegal immigrant who is forced into prostitution, the author hints at the contrasting realities in New York, focusing on the deplorable condition of people who live in the fringes of society.

Although it was exciting to picture Justin outsmarting the government and criminals alike, I found it a bit irrational that a mere fourteen year old could be that ingenious. Another aspect that left me little dissatisfied was Justin’s equation with Bob. Though I understand Justin’s need for a parent, I found their relationship a bit cold for Justin to have conceived such a notion. I hope the author delves deeper into their relationship in the subsequent novels.

Apart from these couple of issues, I found this book fairly enjoyable. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars, and recommend it to young adult readers, especially those who appreciate action thrillers.

Code Name: Dodger
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ananya92's review? Post a comment saying so!
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

Very detailed review, Ananya. You were clear why you couldn`t give this good book 4 stars. You also intrigued me - I think I will search for the book and read it.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
ananya92
Currently Reading:

Post by ananya92 »

Thank you :)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, insightful review. I like how you pointed out the little things that made you decide to take away a star, while still highlighting the positive parts of the book. By the way, it's nice to read two reviews (yours and Tanaya's) of books from the same series. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
ananya92
Currently Reading:

Post by ananya92 »

Now that you mention it, I have to check out Tanaya's review as well.
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

Loved the review! You were very clear and informative!

-- 22 Oct 2015, 16:46 --

Loved the review! You were very clear and informative!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
ananya92
Currently Reading:

Post by ananya92 »

Thank you. :)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I also enjoyed reading your review! It seems like this is a book that I would enjoy, so I might have to add it to my to-read list. Thank you for an informational and wonderful review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
ananya92
Currently Reading:

Post by ananya92 »

Thank you :)
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Post by debo9967 »

Well detailed and interesting review, though a bit long, I guess ;)
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover
ananya92
Currently Reading:

Post by ananya92 »

Ha, ha, thanks! :)
esthersamone
Favorite Book: Small Change
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esthersamone.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by esthersamone »

Thanks for this review. It is informative.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”