Official Review: The Middle Kid by William Peskett

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Include the name of the book, and if possible the author's name, in the title of the topic. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
RooneysReviews
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rooneysreviews.html
Latest Review: "Magpie" by M.A. Reyes

Official Review: The Middle Kid by William Peskett

Post by RooneysReviews » 24 Sep 2015, 20:53

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Middle Kid" by William Peskett.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Middle Kid by William Peskett is a delightful fictional narrative about a young girl named Alex and her account of growing up as a middle child. She has two brothers, whose names are Bo and Conrad. Bo is the oldest brother who aspires to be an Olympic swimmer. Conrad is an unconventionally bright child, who is the baby of the family. Alex’s parents are happily married. Her father works as an accountant and her mother is the CEO of a small, but successful, bank.

This novel begins when Alex was young. Her parents worked early in the morning and a live-in caregiver stayed with the children. Through the story, she watches her brother Bo’s struggles to become a champion swimmer as well on Conrad’s difficulties with school. She loves to sleep and dream but, most of all, she loves to draw. This is often her escape when life as the middle child becomes too difficult.

Alex’s story is a journey through adolescence. Her words are simple and witty, but reflect the innocence that is only seen in childhood. Each sentence is a wonderful description of humanity and an enlightening tale of how difficult both childhood and adulthood can be. The story progresses through Alex’s education and her dreams of becoming an author and artist. Her parents’ struggles are highlighted in a way that makes everyday tasks seem menial in a child’s mind. Peskett does a wonderful job making Alex’s feelings feel both real and relatable.

The Middle Kid is brimming with themes about life, childhood, growth, and forgiveness. Alex often feels neglected, as if her older and younger brothers consume most of her parents’ attention. She adapts with maturity beyond her age as she expresses forgiveness towards her parents with a simplicity that many could aspire to. Alex’s tale reminds parents that children are people in their own right, with dreams and heartaches of their own.

I rate this novel 4 out of 4 stars. There is no set plot, since it is written similarly to a diary narrative, but that does not cause the reader’s attention to wander. Each story that Alex recounts from her young and growing mind is enlightening in many ways. She understands that Bo’s hard work towards swimming will come with rewards and that success must be earned. Even as an inexperienced artist, she is able to see her own potential and create a wonderful masterpiece in the form of a children’s book. I would recommend this book to anyone of any age. It is truly an enjoyable and inspiring read.

The Middle Kid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like RooneysReviews's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Magpie" by M.A. Reyes

HalcyonFlower
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading: Hearts In Atlantis
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halcyonflower.html
Latest Review: "Not a Blueprint: It's the Shoe Prints That Matter" by Nina Norstrom, Author
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by HalcyonFlower » 02 Oct 2015, 20:51

Haha, it's like the reverse of second child syndrome. This seems like a great read and I'll note it for future reading. Thanks a bunch for the informative and concise review!
Latest Review: "Not a Blueprint: It's the Shoe Prints That Matter" by Nina Norstrom, Author

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 324
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: A Prescription for Madness by Linda Fawke

Post by bookowlie » 08 Oct 2015, 08:24

Nice review! I am not a big fan of books that have a diary narrative, but you made this one sound interesting. Well done.
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: "The Yoke" by Darrell Dunham
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya » 08 Oct 2015, 08:48

I agree with bookowlie. Diary-style books aren't typically my thing, but you made a very convincing case for this book in your review. It sounds very promising. Nice job!
Latest Review: "The Yoke" by Darrell Dunham

tularula789
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Currently Reading: In the Arms of Stone Angels
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tularula789.html
Latest Review: "Survive the Night" by Benjamin Card
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by tularula789 » 24 Nov 2015, 19:05

This was a nice review. :) Though diaries aren't really my thing, and I prefer set-plots, this looks like a really great book! You made it sound very inspiring, in ways of life lessons and otherwise, so thanks for this fantastic contribution. :)
Latest Review: "Survive the Night" by Benjamin Card

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”