Anna dressed in blood - Kendare Blake(slight spoilers))

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Topcho
Favorite Author: J.R.R.Tolkien
Currently Reading: z2
Bookshelf Size: 853
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topcho.html
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly

Anna dressed in blood - Kendare Blake(slight spoilers))

Post by Topcho »

Title : Anna dressed in blood
Author: Kendare Blake
genre: horror, ya, ghosts

Story:
Cas took over his father's job after his death. Nothing unusual. Well, maybe except the fact that his father could kill what was already dead, and yet he was murdered by a ghost. Now, with the black knife in his hand and the blood running in his veins, Cas sends away from this world those souls stuck in it. He doesn't pretend he sends them to a better place, for he doesn't know. All he knows is that they don't belong here, they hurt the living, so they must go. Travelling with his mother from town to town, Cas receives a note for a particular ghost -the one of the murdered 16 years old Anna Korlov . Anna dressed in blood. Ghost more powerfull than anyone else Cas has ever encountered; if he can win against her, Cas is sure, he will be able to stand against his father's killer. And yet for a first time Cas isn't sure he will be able to win, for more causes than one.

After thoughts:
Anna dressed in blood was awesome. Truly awesome. I read it as an e-book back when I didn't have a more handy reading device, and I was glued for my laptop for hours. I just couldn't stop reading, and thanks goodness the second book wasn't out back then, or the heat of the machine on my lap would melt me.
We see the story from Cas' point of view, and author's decision is to tell it in present tense. I usually really dislike this, but this time, it felt just in the right place and helps the reader build his vision of Cas. He is a very calm, controled person, who would take his time, even if it's few months, to prepare, research and organize everything, before executing his plan to deal with the ghost. The way the story is delivered in those often short present tense sentenses, it's like you see how he registers every detail .
Cas does everything he deems needed to get the job done, whether this means getting on terms with the school queen bee, relying on some magic more black than white, or killing for a second time murder victims. He does feel sorry for them, but never lets this stop him. Even after addmitting for himself that he feels somewhat different for Anna, his decision to kill her remains.
Anna, on the other side, is not your good little Casper. She's kinda a bad ghost. Tearing up limbs, splitting people in too, keeping a house full of dead bodies, this kind of bad ghost. Yes, in the end she does it because of the madness of her curse, but still pretty creepy. And rather cool. I can't help but compare this book with the Replacement, as it was classified as a teen horror too, but in horror terms this is so much better.
There are some high school and teen party moments, but they were rather good. Nothing cheap or cheesy. The other almost-main characters, school's queen Carmel, attacking the ghost with a baseball batt, and the mind reading witch Thomas were also cuties, fresh and cool. And let's not forget Cas' mom, the white kitchen-witch
I said it, and I'll repeat it - the narration was really awesome and had a great impact on me. Following Cas' thoughts and changes was intriguing, and I thought it really cute how to the end of the book he started calling Anna "My Anna" .
So with no doubts, I give Anna 5 stars. I'm only sorry I can't make my best friend read this book. She's too scared to watch Ghost Whisperer and refused to listen to my babling for this book even before I get to the flesh eating ghosts and dead cats.

~~~
Prompted by the October genre of the month, I was going through my horror TBRs for ideas and I stumbled on this old review of mine from 2012. I was so excited about the series back then, and right now, I am again riled up! I hope to read Queen of nightmares, the second book, soon. Have any of you read this duology? Any thoughts to share? I'd be so happy to hear them!

P.S. This is my first unofficial review posted here, so hope you like it! :oops:
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly
ElenaHVy
Favorite Author: Undecided
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elenahvy.html
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by ElenaHVy »

I have the first and second book. I also give it 5/5 stars. I found it freaky (as in scary). I usually don't like anything scary because I don't sleep after, but I do admit Anna Dressed In Blood and its sequel was very well written.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds good, thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Morgan_Malone
Currently Reading: Queen of Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-malone.html
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine

Post by Morgan_Malone »

I don't read many ghost books but this one was great! I like how it's not this ghost that is just hanging around talking to the main character but not really threatening. Like you get to see from the beginning how dangerous some of these ghosts can be and I loved it. Also the book could get pretty creepy at times which I enjoyed.
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine
CaitlinE
Currently Reading: The Monstrumologist (The Monstrumologist, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitline.html

Post by CaitlinE »

I just finished reading this book (a little late, I know), and I was surprised by how much I loved it! It was the perfect amount of creepy without keeping me up at night!
fhenixx_13
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fhenixx-13.html

Post by fhenixx_13 »

It's been a while since I read this book but I liked it very much.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

Sounds like a good one to read for Halloween. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

Nice review!
AThousandLives
Currently Reading: Of Neptune
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athousandlives.html

Post by AThousandLives »

*SLIGHT SPOILER ALERT*
I was really sceptic about this book before buying it and I remember that I had mixed feelings about it when I first started it. But actually the book was GREAT especially the second one. The whole love story between the two main characters is surprising and scary and mesmerizing all at the same time. The fact that it is an imposssible love didn't stop me from hoping that the ending will be a happy one. It really surprised me how much I ended up loving the books and I really hope we will have more books from Kendare Blake because I loved the writing style.
sophiemer642
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 97930">The Popularity Papers (The Popularity Papers #1)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114

Post by sophiemer642 »

I read the first book. It was great and suspenseful. I'm about to start reading the second book. I hope it is as good as the first one, because a lot of sequels tend to ruin the story, in my opinion.
DarleneCabrera
Currently Reading: Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlenecabrera.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by DarleneCabrera »

Wow. Im not into suspense kind of books but this sure is interesting. Will try and read this. Thanks for the review.?
Life has a way of testing a person's will, either by nothing happen at all, or by everything happen at once.

-Paulo Coelho
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
valegrissom
Currently Reading: The Paper Magician
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by valegrissom »

This series was outside the realm of what I normally read. While I didn't consider it scary, it definitely leans more on the side of the Horror genre than I'm used to, and the second book really had some tense scenes. It was a bit of a surprise how much I enjoyed this series. I would read more by this author, and recommend it to anyone who likes darker fiction.
Sydney Lee
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-lee.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sydney Lee »

Oh man I loved this book when I first read it. It was one of the first books I read after truly getting into reading. That was a great story with great characters. And I loved the second book, too. Dang, that story is amazing.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”