Review: I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
OnceUponABibliophile
Currently Reading: Snow Like Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 580
Reading Device: B00746W9F2

Review: I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson

Post by OnceUponABibliophile »

I’ll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson is tragically beautiful tale about a set of twins, Jude & Noah. Their story alternates being told by Jude and Noah at two different times in their lives. Noah’s narrative takes place when the twins are between the ages of 13 and 14 while Jude’s takes place in the present at the age of 16.

Noah and Jude were very close. They were practically inseparable as if they were the same person. However everything starts to change a year before the twins go to high school. Their mom is intent on getting them both into CSA, a prestigious high school for artistic students. Noah wants to, scratch that NEEDS to get in so he can finally be among people like him. Jude, on the other hand just wants to go to public high school with all the normal kids.

Noah at 13 is an extremely talented artist. He lives his life between the pages of sketchpads instead of out in the real world. Noah slowly finds himself falling in love with the boy next door. Jude at 13 is the outgoing popular girl. She’s a thrill seeker who wears short skirts and red lipstick much to the chagrin of her mother. By 16, a tragic event alters the twins in distinctive ways leaving them no longer speaking to one another. Each has become a completely different person. However, what they don’t realize is that they both have incomplete versions of what really happened to change everything.

I was drawn to this book immediately because it was about twins. I am a twin so I find all things twin related fascinating. As I begin reading I realized that that while this book is over 300 pages it only has 8 chapters! If you are like me in the sense that you don’t like to put a book down in the middle of chapter this might be frustrating for you.

Jandy Nelson’s writing style in this is very metaphorical. If you’re not a fan of “flowery” writing then this might not be the book for you. However, if you can get past the long chapters and the fluffy writing style I think you will find this book enjoyable because the story is very good! I commend Jandy for being able to write chapters narrated by two different characters sound distinctly unique. Noah and Jude both have a voice that comes through loud and clear while reading.

This book is all about family relationships, self-discovery, second chances and how one tragedy can affect a group of people in profound ways.
garima597
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-garima597.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by garima597 »

I have read this book and i really liked it. It shows a great bond between a brother and a sister & their great affinity for nature and painting. It is an amazing book.
G@RIMA :techie-studyingbrown:
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Even though I couldn't get into this book until about halfway through it, I really liked this book. The turn of events were unpredictable and unrealistic, but the artistic writing was enthralling. Great review!
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Your review has me wanting to pick up this book. I would love the twins theme, as there are many sets of twins in my family going back. Twins have a special bond, undoubtedly, and I'd like to see where Jude and Noah end up (and what caused the estrangement). Thanks for a very well-written review. I enjoyed it.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

This has been on my book list for a while. Glad to read someones take on it and that people are enjoying it. I also don't like putting a book down in the middle of a chapter but I've gotten better at making myself stop!
Thanks for adding this forum!
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

I have not read this book but it sounds very good, and tells a story about guilt and lying. I want to get a copy of this to read.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”