Young Adult books/author suggestions.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ursula_Minor
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ursula-minor.html
Latest Review: "The Hidden Planet" by Rob Chicken

Re: Young Adult books/author suggestions.

Post by Ursula_Minor »

I really enjoyed Mariko Tamaki and Hiromi Goto's "Half World" series, which is YA fantasy/sci fi. Also "The True Meaning of Smek Day," which is the book that the popular film "Home" is based on.
Latest Review: "The Hidden Planet" by Rob Chicken
Ravenwolfsm
Currently Reading: Dark Wolf
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Ravenwolfsm »

In regards to a YA book or series, the Warrior Cat series by Erin Hunter came to mind. The first book is called: Warriors #1: Into the Wild (Warriors: The Prophecies Begin). It's about a young house cat/kitten, who becomes interested in a group of wild cats living in the nearby woods. I read the first book and bebame absorbed in the story. Erin Hunter brought me into their world and I didn't want it to end!
g-fitton
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-g-fitton.html

Post by g-fitton »

Depending on what genre you are interested in I have a few suggestions.

Lois Lowry's, 'The Giver' is a great read following the story of a boy in a dystopian society in which the citizens cannot lie, see colour or feel emotion the way we do. The book is part of a series 'Gathering Blue,' 'Messenger' and 'Son' and it one of those rare series when each subsequent book is even better than the last. Unusually, the books don't follow one character, or even the one community, but instead very loosely link with each other meaning you are always learning new things about characters and are never left trudging through mundane plot lines.

Alternatively, Ruta Sepetys' historical fiction novel 'Between Shades of Grey' is a thought-provoking and enthralling book if you are looking to read something a little different. Although it is beautifully written, it is not an easy read; it follows the story of a Lithuanian girl deported to Siberia in 1941 with her family. The description is brutal, and the characters heart-felt, making the story eerily authentic. This is a fiction novel however the events it is based on are true. One of those books that has you thinking about it weeks after you read the last lines. Recommended: Age 15+
bade-toska
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bade-toska.html

Post by bade-toska »

I'd suggest Partick Ness, specifically the Knife of Never Letting Go which is the first book to the chaos walking series. He is a brilliant writer and his characters are absolutely relatable. The setting is in the future where humans have fairly recently colonized Mars. However, the settlers are very similar to the first pilgrims in America and they lack modern/futuristic technologies. They rely mainly on farming and are completely cut off from Earth (which is much more technologically advanced). There is also something weird about the atmosphere on the planet that causes the thoughts of boys and men to be heard aloud. And for some reason the main character's village has no women in it. Anyway, gosh, the main characters are young and struggling in this world and Ness makes it fascinating to read. Although the plot appears to be complicated, you easily forget that this story is happening on a different planet in the future. Definitely try reading it!
ChristaLee
Currently Reading: The Night Circus
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00ATGDU7A

Post by ChristaLee »

Sherrilyn Kenyon's Chronicles of Nick series
Jennie92814
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennie92814.html

Post by Jennie92814 »

Paper Towns. The ending saddened me a little, but that's okay. It was worth reading though me some life lessons.
smythemilie
Currently Reading: The Operator
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smythemilie.html
Latest Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem

Post by smythemilie »

Bella Forrest has a really great series, the first book is called The Gender Game. It's a futuristic world where men and women live separately (unless married). They have different governments and different cities. Definitely worth a read.
Smythemilie
Mountainbreeze23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mountainbreeze23.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by Mountainbreeze23 »

A Patch of Blue by Elizabeth Kata was written years ago but is still relevant. It should be read by all young people. It is beautifully written.
Kayla McColl
Favorite Book: The Legacy
Currently Reading: Pillow Thoughts
Bookshelf Size: 999
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-mccoll.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Kayla McColl »

There are two YA Author's that I absolutely loved!
Susan Ee her Penryn and the End of Days series was just spectacular!
Also The Declaration Trilogy by Gemma Malley was just an amazing insight into how the world would become if there was a drug to prolong lives.
As you can tell I really enjoy dystopian YA series.
fortaevers
Currently Reading: Song of Achilles
Bookshelf Size: 394

Post by fortaevers »

Roshani Choksi with The Gilded Wolves series definitely worth a read.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”