Review: Gone by Michael Grant

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elliej99
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliej99.html

Review: Gone by Michael Grant

Post by Elliej99 »

Grants book gone and the sequels that follow tell a dark and unforgiving tale of a world where people older than the age of 14 cease to exist, where children are forced to fight with each other for survival , trapped in a dome like cage cutting them off from the outside world and trapping the danger in.
The chilling novels put a modern twist on William Goulding's Classic Lord of the Flies and captures your attention with the fast paced plot and strangely relatable characters in a seemingly impossible situation.
These books would fascinate many readers, from fans of the hunger games, to hardcore Stephen King admirers.
Last edited by gali on 20 Jun 2018, 00:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited out Offical
Kailani_Fox
Currently Reading: The Navigator II
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kailani-fox.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Post by Kailani_Fox »

It was unique how Grant circled the story around the perspective of a thirteen year old, one that seemingly lived a normal life before the incident. I agree with your view on the plot’s pacing, it was quick and kept you on your toes.
ms07
Currently Reading: You Think It, I'll Say It
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms07.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by ms07 »

I think that Gone was a good concept. The novel showed the struggle for power that occurs in people of all ages. I like how you pointed out the similarity to The Lord of the Flies. I didn't even think of that when I was reading.
Saralu727
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Saralu727 »

I read this book as a teenager, a little older than the main character Sam was in the story. I loved the character development in this story and how Sam goes from a quiet normal kid to the infamous hero. The plot was never dull and the story was more mature than I thought it was going to be. It's slightly more intense and gory. I thought at times the author portrayed the kids with thoughts and actions that a thirteen year old was too young to have. The characters were more mature, around an older teen than a first year teen, and their minds were more complex than I would believe thirteen year olds would be. Nevertheless, the story is incredible and this was only the first book in the series written by Michael Grant. The novels only get more exciting and suspenseful from here!
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

The Gone series is a wonderful read. The character development was great and the plot and story line were engaging.
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
Sav Sparkman
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

I really enjoyed reading this book. It has a fascinating story line and, without spoiling anything, the impact the major event has on the world is a really cool concept. I read the second book as well, but had a hard time getting into the rest of the series. I think I was just desperate for the mysteries to be explained, so I had a hard time reading through the minor plot points. I will definitely be going back in the future and trying again!
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”