Review of Finding Chaz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Park Cherri
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Review of Finding Chaz

Post by Park Cherri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Finding Chaz" by Anisa Ashabi.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The story of Finding Chaz is about middle school life and growing up as an adolescent who is becoming more aware of social issues. One or more of its themes include teen pregnancy, bullying, friendship, and sexual harassment. These are modern-day issues that affect teenagers. The protagonist, Roxie Nazari, resides in Chester, a tiny town, and attends Chester High School. Sexual harassment by Charles (also known as Chaz) has affected Roxie, her best friend Hanna, and other female students at the school. Despite the numerous reports they have made about him, nothing has been done. Roxie and Hanna speculate that the reason he always appears to get away with it is that his mother also works as a teacher at the school.

When Chaz ruined her chance to date her crush, Blake, that was the straw that broke the camel's back. She was forced to act independently as a result of this. She sought revenge, but it backfired, landing her and Chaz in the same room for a one-month in-school suspension. Roxie's life changed drastically as a result of this tragedy. She started to view things differently. Continue reading Finding Chaz by Anisa Ashabi to learn why Chaz harassed Roxie sexually and how Roxie changed after this.

Anisa Ashabi tried in this book. Both teenagers and adults will be able to read, comprehend, and appreciate the narrative because of the manner in which she wrote it. Getting a glimpse into high school life in the state brings me immense satisfaction. Here, we experience things differently, such as not being able to face a teacher. It's lovely to see a different perspective on the educational environment. I adore the author's plain writing style. The book moves quickly and avoids pointless details. The narrative has a lighthearted and straightforward tone. My favorite character is Roxie. She is quite relaxed, which I appreciate. She rejects the preferences of the majority and is comfortable with her differences. Furthermore, she and Hanna, her best friend, complement one another well. Hanna is the composed and mature one of the two, while Roxie is the wild one. While Hanna is involved in all of her extracurricular activities, Roxie takes none of them seriously.

I also adore how she gets along with her older brother, Nick. They are not just siblings; they are more like sisters. They communicate openly and give each other advice. I also adore the plot and character growth. Nobody was able to identify this as the switch's location without assistance. With the exception of her best friend and Nick, Roxie used to be someone who didn't tolerate other people, but she is now beginning to show some tolerance. She matured and started showing interest in international events, which surprised me. The line “You have to be on the outside looking in to diagnose the problems” is one that Nick mentioned that I really like. Because you were inside of it, you couldn't see it. Most political, religious, and interpersonal concerns that we may encounter are resolved in this way.

No justification exists for me to give this intriguing and entertaining book anything less than 5 out of 5 stars. This is the kind of book that I appreciate since I can learn from it. Anisa Ashabi is a talented author. The length of the book is the only drawback I can think of. It's excessively long and could make the reader drowsy. I also saw only one error. It has been professionally edited. However, there is some profanity used in the novel.

I'll suggest this to everyone who likes reading teen fiction. Both teens and adults can use it. This is for you if you enjoy young adult literature.

Finding Chaz
View: on Bookshelves
Michael Valentine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Diotima by Bernard Kuckuck

Post by Michael Valentine »

I love the themes in this book and I think that's what makes the book unique. Thank you for this beautiful review.
Jibu Mathew
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jibu Mathew »

Finding Chaz is a gripping and emotional novel that explores the bond between siblings. The protagonist's determination to find her brother is inspiring, and her journey is full of unexpected twists and turns. The author's descriptions of the various characters and settings are vivid and engaging. The plot is well-structured, with a good balance between action and introspection. The relationships between the characters are complex and authentic, with a sense of depth and nuance. The writing style is clear and concise, with a good pace that keeps the reader engaged. Overall, Finding Chaz is a powerful and thought-provoking novel that will appeal to anyone who loves a good mystery or a heartfelt story of family and redemption. It is an excellent read for anyone looking for a book that is both thrilling and emotionally resonant.
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

Very unhealthy for Roxie. I hope chaz doesn't escape punishments. This book is eventually interesting and a must read. Thanks for the review.
3mperor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3mperor.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by 3mperor »

A very excellent book! And you did a great job breaking down the essential parts to get readers interest !
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I think young adults would find one or two things to learn from Chaz and Roxxie's story. But, I will pass this by. Wonderful review well done.
Boluwatife Ade Aderogbin
Favorite Book: The Inner CEO
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boluwatife-ade-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 4%

Post by Boluwatife Ade Aderogbin »

Young adults are faced with differently challenges and the decision they are directed to take at this stage will have effect on their lives. This is a wonderful review.
Chibee Glory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chibee-glory.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Chibee Glory »

Your review is interesting, this novel reminds me of a popular movie I watched when I was younger. The story is unique and will like to read it.
Chiamaka_Glory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiamaka-glory.html

Post by Chiamaka_Glory »

I love the fact that modern day books keep on writing on contemporary social vices such as sexual harassment, bullying and teenage pregnancy. Thanks for a great review.
Declan Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-declan-shelby.html

Post by Declan Shelby »

Reading this book was so amazing for me because I felt it was very relatable and the concept of the message was well portrayed by the review.
Mozi Ken
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozi-ken.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Mozi Ken »

Sexual harassment is not something to be dealt lightly with. Schools shouldn't take reports like that seriously, even though it's just a rumor. I'll like to see how the girls handled Charles. Good review.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

The story of Finding Chaz is a story that everyone especially young people to read to gain knowledge on the social challenges killing the world today. Good job.
Oluchi Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi-samuel.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Oluchi Samuel »

This book touches a lot of social vices. Sexual harassment really affects the victim and I feel sad that Roxxie had to go through that.
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

This book seems to detail on a lot of vices persistent in high school and I'd like to learn why Chaz harassed Roxie and how she changed. Interesting review.
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

This is an interesting young adult story that depicts bullying and other acts of misbehavior. I’m curious about what changed Roxie’s views during the suspension. Great job!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”