Young adult book recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dianabooks
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 20

Re: Young adult book recommendations

Post by dianabooks »

If you love mystery and supernatural powers then you should read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin. The main plot is about trying to find out what happened the day all her friends died and she survive.
Cralafir
Favorite Book: Rites of Passage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cralafir.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Cralafir »

I would recommend all Kasie West books. My favourites are By your side and On the Fence, but they are all actually equally great!! She writes young-adult romance books.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Abbie Pine wrote: 25 Jun 2015, 12:39 "How To Build A Girl" by Caitlin Moran. It's hilarious and witty and actually has some really important life lessons in it.
Haven't heard of the book. Will check it out. Thanks!
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

dianabooks wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 11:10 If you love mystery and supernatural powers then you should read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin. The main plot is about trying to find out what happened the day all her friends died and she survive.
I loved the first book in the trilogy, but frankly, rest of the books were a big disappointment. Hodkins left out the thrill factor and started focusing on the romance, which was a bad move in my opinion.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

Cralafir wrote: 29 Jul 2018, 12:07 I would recommend all Kasie West books. My favourites are By your side and On the Fence, but they are all actually equally great!! She writes young-adult romance books.
I've only read two of her books, Lucky in Love and By Your Side. I felt like her pattern was repetitive. But super cute for sure! I didn't really like lucky in Love though, the protagonist made some stupid decisions. By Your Side was better - especially loved the character of Dax!
klwoodford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klwoodford.html
Latest Review: Pembrim by Bree Lenehan

Post by klwoodford »

Various books by Sarah Dessen are good. One of my favorites is Someone Like You. I also love Dreamland and Just Listen. Dessen addresses tough topics such as abuse in relationships, drug use, and typical peer pressures in these coming-of-age novels.
Lareka
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lareka »

I would recommend "the Darkest power" series and the " darkness rising series by kelley Armstrong. I LOVE these books. You never know whats next and it leaves you wanting more.you should definitely read this series.
acupofsubtletea
Currently Reading: A Study in Charlotte
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acupofsubtletea.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by acupofsubtletea »

Anything by Rainbow Rowell, but especially Fangirl. I felt like it so accurately represented my feelings about the transition between high school and college, especially as someone who deals with a lot of anxiety. Rainbow Rowell is just spectacular at writing fun books that also have a lot of really important meaning.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

Foolish Hearts by Emma Mills. It's YA contemporary. It has swoony romance and amazing portrayal of family and friendship. The writing is incredible and engaging.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I enjoyed the Divisa Series. Anyone who likes YA novels and the paranormal would enjoy this. It's about a half-demon family and their relationships with normal humans. Really good series!
Olivia Grace
Currently Reading: Happiness is All We Want!
Bookshelf Size: 310

Post by Olivia Grace »

The Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas, it is a great combination of fantasy, action and even some romance. I love the story and the characters!
J_D_Allen
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by J_D_Allen »

John Grisham's Theodore Boone kid lawyer series. He makes this kid seem pretty spectacular. He is smart, funny and overall great character for this type of series.
Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Juliar252 »

For fantasy, I would recommend the Red Queen series by Victoria Aveyard, the plot was intriguing and exciting but also served as a cautionary tale of classist systems. For inspirational I would highly recommend anything by Mitch Albom, his books are always uplifting and are written with a light, easygoing pace.
Mandy Males Cole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandy-males-cole.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Mandy Males Cole »

As a former middle school teacher, current elementary teacher, and mother of three teens, I've read LOTS of young adult fiction. There are so many great books out there that I could create lists and lists, but I'll just mention a few lesser known titles that I really enjoyed:

Walk Two Moons
by Sharon Creech
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi
Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary
Because of Winn-Dixie by Katie DiCamillo
The Cay by Theodore Taylor
Holes by Louis Sachar
Kinderlyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Kinderlyn »

Throne of glass series by Sarah J. Maas. It's is a great series about women empowerment with age appropriate, high school like, romance. There are assassin's, kings, queens and magic that has vanished from only their land. It's a book series you won't want to put down.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”