Young adult book recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vivisbooks
Currently Reading: Shadow Kiss
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivisbooks.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Re: Young adult book recommendations *spoilers*

Post by Vivisbooks »

I love this book so much. It is a lose beauty and the beast retelling. Sarah J. Maas' writing is great. Feyre is a hunter trying to keep her family alive after encountering some financial difficulties. In Feyre'so world a promise is law. Of course, there's another side to this world she lives in, which is inhabited by immortal fairies.
One day, Feyre goes out into the woods hunting. She ends up killing one of the fairies. Little did she know that a High Lord would be after her for it. Tamlin, the high lord, takes Feyre captive to repay the debt of the fairy's life.
As time goes on we discover that this isn't a true capture, although thanks to Feyre's stubbornness she gets herself actually captured. Leading to making deals/promises that might doom her.
Loverockers
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... lations</a>
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loverockers.html
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott

Post by Loverockers »

okay so this doesn't particularly classify as YA, but I liked the book Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen. It was plain and simple, but at the same time was refreshing and feel-good sort of book. If you have a young tween sibling, do make them read this book :D
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott
BookLover451
Currently Reading: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover451.html

Post by BookLover451 »

I don't know if it's been listed already or not, but I would highly recommend The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan. I love the Percy Jackson series and the last book ends the series really well. For anyone who enjoys Greek mythology with a modern application or a funny sassy teenage narrator, this book and series is for you!
ArsenicCookies
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 292">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arseniccookies.html
Latest Review: "Just a Few Inches" by Tara St. Pierre

Post by ArsenicCookies »

One of the YA books that I read in school has really stuck with me, even though I haven't read it in years. The book is Only Child by Jesse Osburn. The story is about a boy named Peter who is about to turn 18. His parents start acting strange and Peter uncovers more and more clues that point to some serious family secrets. The book is pretty eerie and I can still remember specific details about the story a little over a decade after I've read it. I really recommend it!
Latest Review: "Just a Few Inches" by Tara St. Pierre
SarahNewtown
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahnewtown.html

Post by SarahNewtown »

The Heir to the Sky by Amanda Sun. Creative story about a new world I hadn't read about before. Seemed original to me, but of course I haven't read everything :techie-studyingbrown:
lydialeigh71
Favorite Author: Robin Jones Gunn
Currently Reading: The Mask of Perpetuity
Bookshelf Size: 717
fav_author_id: 5926

Post by lydialeigh71 »

I would recommend the Christy Miller Series by Robin Jones Gunn for teenagers to learn how choices made have consequences. The reader will become so involved with the characters that they will be "Forever Friends". When I first read this series (as an adult) it reminded me of my teen years. I wish I had "Christy" to help me thru some issues when I was going thru my own teen years. :techie-studyinggray:

-- 31 Aug 2016, 19:47 --

I would recommend Robin Jones Gunn's Glenbrook series for young women after college. Learning how to develop healthy relationships and keeping God as the foundation. :techie-studyinggray:
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

A book I would recommend is This Is What Happy Looks Like. I think it's an excellent work that connects with people more nowadays because of the inclusion of the internet. They originally start talking online and I think that's relatable, even more so for teens.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
RtheReaderheart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rthereaderheart.html

Post by RtheReaderheart »

This Song Will Save Your Life -Leila Sales
Amazing Book you wont be able to put it down
Dinneen+1998
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dinneen-1998.html

Post by Dinneen+1998 »

Legend by Marie Lu
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Post by Jeyran Main »

I recommend The lunar chronicle series by Marissa Meyer and The Selection Series from Kiera Cass. They are very enjoyable to read and will take some time to finish.
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
StephThyng
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephthyng.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by StephThyng »

Any book by Jodi Picoult. Specifically, Tenth Circle or Nineteen Minutes are exceptional! She also teams up with her daughter to write Between the Lines and Off the Page.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
coffee_and_books
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-coffee-and-books.html

Post by coffee_and_books »

Anything by Walter Moers is sure to be entertaining. The City of Dreaming Books, The Labyrinth of Dreaming Books, The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear, and the Alchemaster's Apprentice are all marvelous reads that really use your imagination. They're funny and definitely whimsical!
Phoenix Butterfly
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoenix-butterfly.html

Post by Phoenix Butterfly »

Sleep No More by Aprilynne Pike. It's a really good mystery with a supernatural twist. Well written and fast paced.
Selbster
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-selbster.html

Post by Selbster »

Mosquitoland by David Arnold. This book is amazing with great characters, plot twists and a kick-ass adventure. You will love Mim, Walt and Beck and certainly wish you were a part of the gang traveling through good ole' America.
Half_Hatter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Wings</a>
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Half_Hatter »

I love to read young adult books and have read many, but I would like a few recommendations because I'm at a stale mate in my reading. Does anyone have any recommended books?

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”