Young adult book recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Re: Young adult book recommendations

Post by Ashley 1820 »

Angels and demons is a thriller by Dan Brown.Absolutely fantastic! Dan Brown is a real page turner.And another one goes named The alchemist. A classic by paula coelho.He describes world's many truths and situations in a different aspect.I would recommend these books to any booklover who enjoys different stories.... :)
Lustrious-Librarian
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lustrious-librarian.html

Post by Lustrious-Librarian »

The Clockwork Scarab: A Stoker & Holmes Novel by Colleen Gleason

I've just started this series but I love the story so far. The author has chosen to use descendants of the well know Sherlock Holmes and Bram Stoker! In the book, Mina Holmes and Evaline Stoker must work together to solve a series of murders. Several young women have been found dead and in each girls possession was a scarab beetle. Throw in a little time travel and you get a real page turner.

So far its got a little of everything - girl power, suspense, mystery, crime, the paranormal, science fiction / fantasy.
realmorgan1124
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Long Live The Pumpkin Queen
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-realmorgan1124.html

Post by realmorgan1124 »

so a lot of my favorite books are a part of a series and the series completes it, I will just go ahead and recommend a few of my favorites.

The Uglies series by Scott Westerfield
The dreamhouse Kings series by Robert LiParulo for those who like the scary
The Life As We Knew It Series by Susan Beth Pfeffer for those who like easy reads
The Beautiful Creatures novels by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
The Alchemyst by Michael Scott
Dead is the New Black by Marlene Perez, although I must caution you that when the main character changes after a couple of books it just isn't as good. The first book is the best
For the more mainstream, you could also read the Divergent series or the Hunger Games series

So now let's go on to the single books
Looking for Alaska and Paper Town by John Green if you haven't read those already
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (by far my favorite of the bunch)
The Vampire Stalker by Allison Van Diepen for the ones who like the experience of alternate dimensions.

Thats just a small samplings of books so hope you enjoy!

-- 13 Nov 2016, 16:39 --

so a lot of my favorite books are a part of a series and the series completes it, I will just go ahead and recommend a few of my favorites.

The Uglies series by Scott Westerfield
The dreamhouse Kings series by Robert LiParulo for those who like the scary
The Life As We Knew It Series by Susan Beth Pfeffer for those who like easy reads
The Beautiful Creatures novels by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
The Alchemyst by Michael Scott
Dead is the New Black by Marlene Perez, although I must caution you that when the main character changes after a couple of books it just isn't as good. The first book is the best
For the more mainstream, you could also read the Divergent series or the Hunger Games series

So now let's go on to the single books
Looking for Alaska and Paper Town by John Green if you haven't read those already
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (by far my favorite of the bunch)
The Vampire Stalker by Allison Van Diepen for the ones who like the experience of alternate dimensions.

That's just a small samplings of books so hope you enjoy!
ChelseaJohn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelseajohn.html

Post by ChelseaJohn »

One book I personally would not recommend is The Lovely Bones. It's not a bad story overall, but I just felt it was a bit crude. I read it at a very young age and was not impressed with the sexual aspects of it. But - to each his own.

A series I enjoyed was FableHaven by Brandon Mull. It's a series I liked in my early teens yet still entertains me many years later.

I would also recommend checking out Peter and the Star Catchers.
annieapple123

Post by annieapple123 »

On the Jellicoe Road - Melina Marchetta

Beautiful young adult book with so much depth!
This is the kind of book to read if you're in a slump, it really got me into reading again after a period of being not so good at it. You really feel the characters and the story jumps between two generations of teenagers with each set slowly telling their part of the story!
E_MarMatt95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-marmatt95.html

Post by E_MarMatt95 »

I cannot help but recommend the Twilight Saga. More specifically, New Moon by Stephanie Meyer. Her take on vampires and shape shifters is, in my opinion very original. Sparkly vampires and horse sized wolves? Who doesn't want a horse sized wolf as a pet? Especially if he turns into an enormous sexy man? Sign me up. While my recommendation, I'm sure, is far from original, I stand by it 110%. SM is a fantastic, imaginative writer and I loved her novels from day one, hopping from foot to foot while I waited for the next to hit the shelves.
grn_tea

Post by grn_tea »

Fan Girl by Rainbow Rowell.
Fan Girl is a great story about what its like to be so tied to another person that sometimes its hard to break away and be your own person. The author, Rainbow Rowell, has a great sense of timing and tone, and of mixing humor with pathos, which makes for a fast read. This is a great book for anyone going off to high school, college or going to experience something new and they're a little afraid at making that first step.
aimlessreader
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimlessreader.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by aimlessreader »

I would not recommend the House of Night series by P.C. Cast. It is poorly written, full of cliches, and the main character is a special snowflake mary-sue.
Psychedelia
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2809">The Alchemist</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychedelia.html

Post by Psychedelia »

I absolutely loved The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henríquez. It definitely falls between the gray area of young adult/fiction. It deals with the hardships that immigrants in the US, particularly from South America (legal or illegal) face on a daily basis. I think that this a rather important read considering the way things are today.

That being said, I could not put the book down once I started reading it. The book has multiple first person POVs. They all have their own stories, but their stories also tie into the other stories in the book. This is what made it really addicting for me, and I finished the book in one sitting.
Alpha_Betty
Currently Reading: The Underground Railroad
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alpha-betty.html

Post by Alpha_Betty »

Here are a few YA titles both I and my high school students have enjoyed this year:

Aaron Starmer - Spontaneous
Seniors at an affluent NJ high school start to spontaneously combust--literally. Dark, but absolutely hilarious. If language, teen drug use or sex turn you off, this one's not for you.

A.S. King - I Crawl Through It
This one defies easy summary--just know that King is one of the best YA authors out there. All her books are worth your time, but this one is weird and deep and special.

Jennifer Niven - All the Bright Places
Violet and Finch meet as they're both about to jump from their high school bell tower. Later paired up for a school project, grieving Violet and troubled Finch strike up an unlikely relationship. Sounds a little "been there, read that", but this is beautifully written, and offers one of the best portrayals of a bipolar teen I've read anywhere.
animatedwolf3432
Currently Reading: Too Far
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-animatedwolf3432.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper

Post by animatedwolf3432 »

I highly recommend Falling in Honey by Jennifer Barclay. It is an autobiography about a time in her life when she decided to move to a Greek Island. There are lots of ups and downs, falling in and out of love, and ending up right where she wants to be: happy.I thoroughly enjoyed it, even though I was told I wouldn't. 10/10 in my mind.
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
bellarosa
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellarosa.html

Post by bellarosa »

Clearly this is all based on opinion, and I get this may be very definite, but while we're saying YA books we DON'T recommend; anything by John Green. I enjoy his Crash Course videos, but I can't get with his writing. I see the writing as very pretentious and pandering and purposely "edgy". I, personally, haven't found literary merit in his work.
The Virgo Speaks
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-virgo-speaks.html

Post by The Virgo Speaks »

Any and all books by Sharon Draper. Her books are very relate-able and captivating to a young adult/teenage audiences. I have read 3 of her works, all of which are apart of trilogy: Tears of a Tiger, Forged by Fire, and Darkness Before Dawn (These may not be in order)
princess-bookworm
Currently Reading: Infidel
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princess-bookworm.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by princess-bookworm »

One of the best YA novels I've read was Dreamland by Sarah Dessen. It was a gripping, emotional novel that held my interest the entire way! The characters were believable, the story was interesting, and it was about something that happens to young girls every day. Definitely, definitely recommend!
noorsawhney
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noorsawhney.html
Latest Review: "Aluria" by Tyler Cook

Post by noorsawhney »

I would definitely recommend Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo, and also the sequel Crooked Kingdom. The plot is lively and imaginative, the writing is captivating and all the characters are really well fleshed out and developed. There is also clear and realistic character development across the two books, which I find not many authors do well, but Leigh Bardugo does excellently.
Latest Review: "Aluria" by Tyler Cook

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”