Young adult book recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessiePhill
Currently Reading: The Glass Castle
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessiephill.html

Young adult book recommendations

Post by JessiePhill »

This is plain and simple, just name a young adult books that you would recommend or not recommend reading. The genre and length don't matter, just tell why.

I will start...

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. It is I good, page turning book that will give you a new perspective on everything.
Eyre-thee-well
Favorite Author: Kate Morton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2881">Jane Eyre</a>
Currently Reading: Far From The Madding Crowd
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eyre-thee-well.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 4893

Post by Eyre-thee-well »

Probably not an original recommendation, but I can't help it: The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins.
Great pacing and non-stop action. Memorable characters and quote-worthy lines. First person POV really shows Katniss to the fullest (something the movies can't completely do, though I think they hold up really well.)
“I will keep the law given by God; sanctioned by man. I will hold to the principles received by me when I was sane, and not mad—as I am now."
― Charlotte Brontë,Jane Eyre
Abbie Pine
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbie-pine.html

Post by Abbie Pine »

"How To Build A Girl" by Caitlin Moran. It's hilarious and witty and actually has some really important life lessons in it.
Slincol1
Currently Reading: Wild Invitation
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slincol1.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Slincol1 »

The Hollow trilogy by Jessica Verday. It was an amazing series to me that kept my attention and had me wanting more. And the twist at the end is something you did NOT see coming and that's hard to find anymore.
Max Tyrone
Favorite Author: William Faulkner
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading: Pastoralia
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-max-tyrone.html
Latest Review: "Design Of Life" by Martyn Anthony Rich
fav_author_id: 8089

Post by Max Tyrone »

Although I've read very few young adult novels, I would recommend (beside Catcher in the Rye, cough, cough) Kaui Hart Hemmings's The Descendants. I believe the novel is something different in the category in that it brings an adult's perspective on young adults set in the face of tragedy in the modern world. It's not as grim as that--(perhaps more so at times)--for there are moments of that adolescent spirit captured and told through a man who has lost that part of his life and can only live in the consequence of adulthood, save for the daughters that keep him leveled. It's a nice novel. And if you get the chance, watch the movie. George Clooney. 'Nuff said.
"No battle is ever won ... victory is an illusion of philosophers and fools."
- William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury
Latest Review: "Design Of Life" by Martyn Anthony Rich
bookwormiam2010
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bookwormiam2010 »

I recommend The Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead. Do NOT watch the movie first. I have yet to see the movie but form what I've heard it bears no comparison to the books and as a bookworm I can agree with that. I adored this series because it never ended, the characters never stopped growing or developing and just when you thought it was over, that there was going to be this nice tidy little sum up there was a cliff hanger and the promise of something more. Once you've finished this series then proceed to read Bloodlines. Same world, different starring characters. More drama, romance and action!

I also recommend To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I attempted reading it once and I thought it too dry. I take it back. I took another chance reading it and fell in love with it. I don't know if I caught the symbolism in it. Sometimes its nice just to read a book for the story ya know? In this case it was the first court room drama I ever read without feeling like I was going to put myself to sleep. The characters are enjoyable but none so much as Scout. Least that's my opinion. So this is what I recommend and I hope you'll take a gander at em.
m15ery
Currently Reading: The Dangerous Days of Daniel X
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m15ery.html
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY

Post by m15ery »

When I saw this topic, a book I recently read instantly popped into my head. I have to agree with the poster because even before I finished reading the opening post, Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher was the book I was going to suggest. It was a quick read because it's the type of book that you don't want to put down. The book is narrated by a teenage girl via pre-recorded cassette tapes, and an interesting addition is that you can actually go online and listen to the "tapes". It adds an even more realistic and haunting quality to the words you read.
JaimeGeorge
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaimegeorge.html

Post by JaimeGeorge »

I don't know whether it is young adult but Harry Potter? I just can't get over how imaginative and creative that book series is!
There has been a lot of hype concerning John Grisham. I'm not a fan of sad books but does anyone think it is worth reading?
meganxxcooper
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meganxxcooper.html

Post by meganxxcooper »

I recommend "Fangirl" by Rainbow Rowell. It is so witty, relatable, and entertaining! The characters are hilarious especially Levi. Most booknerds :wink: understand the perspective of Cath as a Fangirl for a book, so it's perfect for me and many others.

Secondly, "Throne of Glass" by Sarah J Maas is an exceptional read. Celaena is an assassin in a death camp until she is rescued, only to compete to be the King's personal assassin. The characters are valiant and Celaena is such a kick-butt female character.

Both reviews are on my page for more information. :D
roxy262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxy262.html

Post by roxy262 »

Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson

Loved this book! I read it when I was in 9th grade during high school and I love it to this day :)
melbuhtoast
Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby
Currently Reading: The Goldfinch
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melbuhtoast.html
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn

Post by melbuhtoast »

I was excited to see this thread - I love YA. Eleanor & Park is one that is a favorite these days. The raw emotion it takes the reader through hits you right in the heart.
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn
Nabilah_reads01
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nabilah-reads01.html

Post by Nabilah_reads01 »

I enjoyed the first two books of The Matched Trilogy by Ally Condie.

I found the world she created to be very interesting. It's another dystopian series.
Royal Bibliophile
Currently Reading: Falling Kingdoms
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-royal-bibliophile.html
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Royal Bibliophile »

Honestly one of my personal favorites is the White Rabbit Chronicles by Gena Showalter.
First in the series is Alice in Zombieland, where you will be introduced to Alice Bell, after having her life turned up side down by a tragic accident that killed her family included her beloved little sister, and her misfit group of friends known as the ‘slayers’ and their heartthrob bad-ass leader Cole Holland. I thought that Alice would fall down the rabbit hole and land in a Wonderland filled with zombies. However, the Alice in Wonderland references is fairly light. Instead Showalter created a vision that is one of a kind, the common zombies of dead flesh eating brain has never really been my cup of tea but I found Showalters version enticing and original. I literally hung on every word throughout all three books!

It is definitely worth picking up and exploring Ali's story.
Lovely_Loreley
Favorite Author: Donita K. Paul
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 776">Light of the Oracle</a>
Currently Reading: The Blue Fairy Book
Bookshelf Size: 370
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovely-loreley.html
Latest Review: "Vanished in Berlin" by Gry Finsnes
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 13786

Post by Lovely_Loreley »

- The Daughters of the Moon series by Lynne Ewing! I really enjoyed this series to the very end, which isn't something I can say about a lot of YA series (they just always seem to go downhill after the first few books in my opinion). It is about a group of girls with special abilities, trying to keep themselves and everyone else safe from an ancient evil while also attempting to deal with mundane issues like high school and boys.

- I'm not really sure why, but the book Saint Iggy also popped into my head...I read it in high school so I don't really remember why I enjoyed it so much. It definitely stuck with me, though.

- Someone already mentioned a book by Laurie Halse Anderson, but check out her other works too! She has a really powerful writing style and writes a variety of different things :) I personally enjoyed Speak, Prom, and Fever 1793. Haven't read Twisted yet, but it is on my list!
Latest Review: "Vanished in Berlin" by Gry Finsnes
j_brower
Favorite Author: Jack London
Currently Reading: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-brower.html
fav_author_id: 2993

Post by j_brower »

The Cirque Du Freak series by Darren Shan. It is full of fast paced action and has a deep plot. It utilizes many original ideas and immerses the reader.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”