Young adult book recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kecaesar1
Currently Reading: Missing Pieces
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kecaesar1.html

Re: Young adult book recommendations

Post by kecaesar1 »

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas is a great Young Adult novel! Feyre, young huntress, is forced to enter the Fae realm as retribution for the life of a young fae man she killed. Once there, she falls in love and realizes the Fae are not so different from the humans they despise.

-- 25 Jun 2016, 15:35 --

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
Rox000
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rox000.html
Reading Device: B00SHZJ6BO

Post by Rox000 »

Here are a couple hopefully you see some you haven't read :) :

Hold Still by Nina LaCour
Looking for Alaska by John Green
Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler
The Iron Fey Series by Julie Kagawa
The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson (I read this one in one night and I love it, its a quick but powerful read)
The Ghost Files by Apryl Baker
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the NIghttime by Mark Haddon

I hope you go out and read these if you already haven't!
Stand_tall
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stand-tall.html

Post by Stand_tall »

Paper Hearts (can't remember who it is by) is a very good book, that is if your okay with poetry. It's a quick read and follows two girls capture during the Holocaust and forced into camps. So if your okay with a book like that then I would recommend. Side note: It really doesn't go into detail about how the bad camps actually were.
Lecura j
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Runes</a>
Currently Reading: Immortals
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Lecura j »

I would recommend the vampire diaries books they are a lot different to the tv show. Also horror high if you are a fan of R. L STINE he does some of those books
Farahanisyasmin_

Post by Farahanisyasmin_ »

Hi guys, I'm new here!!! Kinda excited to venture out in this community btw :))))))) One of my favourite & by favourite i meant it like i reread it like 5 times now i think, Slammed Series by Colleen Hoover. Damn that book is too good to be true!!! I highly recommend it, you wont ever regret reading it aaaaahhh
christi3louise
Currently Reading: Red Queen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christi3louise.html

Post by christi3louise »

Dear Nobody by Berlie Doherty - I read this when I was about 14/15 and it was one of the most emotional books I've read. Brilliantly captures a young teenage relationship and the overwhelming emotions and circumstances that all come into play when you're at such a pivotal age. This book had me crying a lot, and I love a book that moves me to tears!
sleepingbeauty621
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sleepingbeauty621.html

Post by sleepingbeauty621 »

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
I love the way it is written. The book is written in a near journal entry style, which makes it an easy read. Also, the voice used by the main character, Melinda is fantastic. She comments on things exactly how you would expect a teenage girl to react.
A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah
This is the true story of a boy soldier during the Sierra Leone Civil War. The writing is clear and it will hold the attention of even the most difficult teen readers. It is very violent though, so be warned.
ScarletKB

Post by ScarletKB »

I would recommend the Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa. Fantasy. Romance. Adventure. What more could you ask for? How Kagawa melds fairy tales with technology is brilliant!
knmayer610
Currently Reading: Crystal Crowned
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knmayer610.html

Post by knmayer610 »

Air Awakens series by Elise Kova. I stumbled upon it on Amazon a few months ago and was very hesitant because of the anime cover (not a huge fan of anime). I let it sit on my Nook for a few months and finally decided to give it a try. It got fantastic reviews from people who had read the Throne of Glass series (a MUST read as well), so I dove right in and I couldn't stop reading. I found the story refreshing after so many vampire books and faerie novels that it cleansed my palette. The fifth and final one comes out in two days and I haven't felt this excited about a book since Harry Potter.
gh0stboyy

Post by gh0stboyy »

I HIGHLY recommend the book "I'll give you the sun" by Jandy Nelson. The writing style is so unique and her descriptions always left me in awe of what words can do. It tells the story of 2 twins who grow apart and then try to repair their relationship. It isn't like anything I've ever read before. I'm especially fond of how the writer treats teens with respect. A lot of YA lit infantilizes us and tries to dumb things down. Her characters are smart and have complicated emotions.
Ink0_0
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Ink0_0 »

Without a doubt The Knife Of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness, the whole Chaos Walking series is epic, and just generally every Patrick Ness novel.

The world building, character relationships and the whole concept of the novel is astounding.
You will never want a villain to die more than Aaron.
And you'll never ship a duo more than Tod and Viola.
For anyone, that doesn't want your average YA dystopia.
These books have so many twists and turns, it will backstab your emotions, rip out the butterflies in your stomach and stamp all over them.
OKAY the second book may appear to be slowing down in the middle BUT PUSH THROUGH, there's a purpose and it's soooooooooo worth it.
Utterly unpredictable.
If you want a concluding book (Monsters of Men) that will emotionally traumatise you - read Patrick Ness's masterpiece. OH THE FEELS :shock2: :shock2:

Trust - like the characters you DESPISE in the beginning you start to love and you're like DAFUK not one predictable or one-dimensional character.
HoldenCaufieldsMom
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holdencaufieldsmom.html

Post by HoldenCaufieldsMom »

The Grisha series by Leigh Bardugo is AMAZING. If you liked Percy Jackson, this is a more grown up version that ties German folk tales with the author's imagination. Leigh Bardugo created an entire world that captivates you from beginning to end. It's the story of an orphan girl that discovers a converted power in the midst of a warring nation that will do anything to hone in that kind of power.
huskylover5
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huskylover5.html
Latest Review: "Generations Beyond" by J.A. & P.W. Stinger

Post by huskylover5 »

The Outsiders by S.E Hinton is a good YA book to read. There is some violence but i just could not put the book down when i read it. It follows the life of a 14 year old boy and his two older brothers as they try to find their way through life after their parents are killed in a car accident.
The story is amazing and its soo worth the read! :)
Latest Review: "Generations Beyond" by J.A. & P.W. Stinger
SkyStealer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skystealer.html

Post by SkyStealer »

Totally the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas! The characters are so badass!
Clary7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clary7.html

Post by Clary7 »

I hands down recommend the Gray Wolves Series by Quinn Loftis.

One of the biggest reasons why I would say is because for a lot of teen girls it can be very relatable. There are three main characters, all teenage girls and through out the series different books focus on different characters. I have found that at least one of the three best friends you can relate too. Also the fact that it is just an amazing series that I have read over and over along with many of her other books.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”