Young adult book recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shaggy-Reads
Currently Reading: Bound in Flames
Bookshelf Size: 393
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaggy-reads.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Re: Young adult book recommendations

Post by Shaggy-Reads »

As an avid reader I have many series that I have read and enjoyed. These are those I would recommend:

The Gemma Doyle Trilogy by Libby Bray is imaginative and exciting. I couldn’t read them quick enough.

The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
These are a new take on the fairytales we all grew up with. Now more sci-fi than a true fantasy they are a great mix of both with the authors unique perspective.

Septimus Heap:Wizard Apprentice Series by Angie Sage. This series has spinoff books that elaborate on popular characters and further evolve the story and world Sage has created. Very fun and enjoyable with plenty of action that keeps you reading.

A Court of Thorns and Roses Series & The Throne of Glass Series both by Sarah J. Maas
After reading these then finding “The Assassins Blade”-prequel to throne of glass series. I would go back and read the prequel first and then go forward. Great characters, mix of fantasy with an intelligent and believable plot/storyline. Maybe not the fantasy parts but the children taken in and taught for the finders purpose is very believable. Love both series!

New YA author Sabaa Tahir has a winning series with her “An Ember in the Ashes Series” that begins with a book of the same title and is followed by Torch in the Night. The 3rd book will be released shortly. I can’t wait. Factions of people separated by class and children trained to be soldiers from birth if born into the “right” houses and leading class of people compared against those oppressed peoples makes this a gripping and action filled story of an unlikely heroine and cast of characters who are both good and bad/weak and strong. Some are more one way than another but are greatly written. One can’t help but love to hate the harsh female commandant of the Training School for soldiers. Grab these quickly!

Lastly, I strongly recommend The Vampire Gift by E.M. Knight. I immediately fell in love with the main characters, plot, and fantastical would hidden within the real. This series is enjoyable for any who loved The twilight series. This is a bit of a different tale but enjoyable.

Enjoy your reads and let me know anything new you have found and enjoyed. Looking forward to new authors and interesting series to come. Read On!

“Choice is always there even when there seems to be none; choose wisely. You are a product of those choices.”
“Choice is always there even when there seems to be none; choose wisely. You are a product of those choices.” :lire4:
Shaggy-Reads
Currently Reading: Bound in Flames
Bookshelf Size: 393
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaggy-reads.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Shaggy-Reads »

As an avid reader I have many series that I have read and enjoyed. These are those I would recommend:

The Gemma Doyle Trilogy by Libby Bray is imaginative and exciting. I couldn’t read them quick enough.

The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
These are a new take on the fairytales we all grew up with. Now more sci-fi than a true fantasy they are a great mix of both with the authors unique perspective.

Septimus Heap:Wizard Apprentice Series by Angie Sage. This series has spinoff books that elaborate on popular characters and further evolve the story and world Sage has created. Very fun and enjoyable with plenty of action that keeps you reading.

A Court of Thorns and Roses Series & The Throne of Glass Series both by Sarah J. Maas
After reading these then finding “The Assassins Blade”-prequel to throne of glass series. I would go back and read the prequel first and then go forward. Great characters, mix of fantasy with an intelligent and believable plot/storyline. Maybe not the fantasy parts but the children taken in and taught for the finders purpose is very believable. Love both series!

New YA author Sabaa Tahir has a winning series with her “An Ember in the Ashes Series” that begins with a book of the same title and is followed by Torch in the Night. The 3rd book will be released shortly. I can’t wait. Factions of people separated by class and children trained to be soldiers from birth if born into the “right” houses and leading class of people compared against those oppressed peoples makes this a gripping and action filled story of an unlikely heroine and cast of characters who are both good and bad/weak and strong. Some are more one way than another but are greatly written. One can’t help but love to hate the harsh female commandant of the Training School for soldiers. Grab these quickly!

Lastly, I strongly recommend The Vampire Gift by E.M. Knight. I immediately fell in love with the main characters, plot, and fantastical world hidden within the real. This series is enjoyable for any who loved The twilight series. This is a bit of a different tale but enjoyable.

Enjoy your reads and let me know anything new you have found and enjoyed. Looking forward to new authors and interesting series to come. Read On!

“Choice is always there even when there seems to be none; choose wisely. You are a product of those choices.”
“Choice is always there even when there seems to be none; choose wisely. You are a product of those choices.” :lire4:
Rubyreads
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rubyreads »

Ephemeral Destiny by Tayo Lilian

I love reading new writers and I have recently (actually always) been scouring for YA fiction with an ethnically diverse set of characters, which are whimsical and beautiful. I have just finished reading Ephemeral Destiny by Tayo Lilian and I can't say I am disappointed. Just what I wanted. It's about seven African American teenage sisters who inherit their grandfather's greenhouse and they have to look after it by sleeping in it from dusk until dawn. The garden is beautiful, filled with African flowers. The girls have their different shifts and get up to some weird and wonderful moments inside, sometimes sad and a little depressing. The girls are fairy-like but with real-life issues. Probably a modern-day fairy-tale is the best way to describe it. I like all the characters, Harmony is the one identify most with, as I experienced bouts of melancholy growing up because of family issues.

It's not full throttle to the metal but moves at a nice pace and has stunning moments. Love pets so that's another tick, you don't read many books with African Americans with pets in. It's a quiet book, with genuine laugh out loud moments, sorta cool and quirky, which I've wanted to see more of from characters of color. Definitely a
good read.
Hamza Razzaq
Currently Reading:

Post by Hamza Razzaq »

There is an amazing trilogy in which the first book is The knife of never letting go. The book is amazing and completely enthralling especially with the whole idea and plot being something never really witnessed before and the whole rollercoaster ride was just epic to read.
The knife of never letting go by Patrick Ness
sasireader21

Post by sasireader21 »

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart was one of the best books I have ever read. A plot twist comes at you from out of nowhere, you can connect to the main characters, and the book can really play with your emotions. It is a realistic fiction novel, focusing on the children of a rich family while they are vacationing on their summer island.

The Michael Vey series by Richard Paul Evans (starts with the Prisoner of Cell 25) is a fantastic book series. During the seven book series, we follow the lead character, Michael Vey, as he discovers his abilities to control lightning and discovers how he and other children were granted these powers. This is more of a sci-fi young adult book, with superb protagonists and magnificent antagonists. Michael Vey is a must-read series this summer, no doubt.
BookishCoffeeBlog
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog »

I would definitely have to recommend the novel, Strange the Dreamer, by Laini Taylor. It is one of my most recent reads that I gave a perfect rating. I would recommend the book because of the incredible writing, characters, and world-building. The story is definitely a slow-burn but I would recommend that you stick with it because it is super beneficial. I gained so much from this book! :D
xolorey
Currently Reading: Nightlord Book One
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by xolorey »

A Date with Darcy (Bookish Boyrfriends, #1) by Tiffany Schmidt.

For life-long book nerds like myself, there are a lot of really relatable situations (usually in the MC's head)! Tiffany Schmidt is a great author who uses a lot of wit and humor, mixed in with the hint of magic? I def suggest! 3/4 stars for me!
butterbean
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterbean.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by butterbean »

I recommend 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. It was published in 2009 but it still a fascinating YA read. Some describe it as a modern 1984 set in Tokyo---it certainly has an Orwellian, dystopic feel to it, but it is also a mystery and a romance as the characters move through the plot learning about themselves and their world. Those who like Japanese style fiction would love this book too.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Lesser known YA book - Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang. It is wonderfully crafted, and is a beautiful, haunting, yet hopeful tale of survival and friendships.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

Slincol1 wrote: 25 Jun 2015, 13:22 The Hollow trilogy by Jessica Verday. It was an amazing series to me that kept my attention and had me wanting more. And the twist at the end is something you did NOT see coming and that's hard to find anymore.
Yes! I adore this series! I admit, I judge books by their covers and the original cover (with the girl and the black choker and the flowing hair) caught my attention. Very few people have heard of it, much less read it. I especially love the choker as an allusion to Irving's The Adventure of the German Student (for those who have not read it, Washington Irving plays a significant role in this series).
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

Royal Bibliophile wrote: 01 Jul 2015, 15:04 Honestly one of my personal favorites is the White Rabbit Chronicles by Gena Showalter.
First in the series is Alice in Zombieland, where you will be introduced to Alice Bell, after having her life turned up side down by a tragic accident that killed her family included her beloved little sister, and her misfit group of friends known as the ‘slayers’ and their heartthrob bad-ass leader Cole Holland. I thought that Alice would fall down the rabbit hole and land in a Wonderland filled with zombies. However, the Alice in Wonderland references is fairly light. Instead Showalter created a vision that is one of a kind, the common zombies of dead flesh eating brain has never really been my cup of tea but I found Showalters version enticing and original. I literally hung on every word throughout all three books!

It is definitely worth picking up and exploring Ali's story.
Did you read the fourth one? It doesn't follow Alice. I started it but I couldn't stay interested because I felt the story was done and I didn't really need more of it.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

Kate_Guinn81 wrote: 24 Jul 2015, 11:09 I have to recommend the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. They're futuristic re-tellings of classic fairytales like Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel, and Snow White. But with cyborgs. I've read the first three and am impatiently waiting for the fourth book to be released.
A million times yes! I spent the last few years studying YA Lit and ended up writing my dissertation on Post/Transhuman studies in YA fairy tale retellings because of this series. I love Cress and Thorn so much, and Iko is adorable! I especially like that Meyer doesn't beat you over the head with the fairy tale foundation
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

Hogwarts girl wrote: 31 Oct 2015, 16:03 I'm gonna recommend the book series Dorothy must die. It's a young adult fiction book which is why I'm posting here and it's awesome. The author is Danielle Paige and her writing is pretty good. I enjoyed this twist on the wizard of oz. Dorothy in this book is basically evil and this girl is taken from Kansas to oz to help in defeating Dorothy. In my opinion it's worth a read.
I enjoyed these books! I may have actually liked the novellas more than the actual novels... I love the twist on Oz and the inclusion of other elements from Baum that are often overlooked or omitted in other adaptations.
dianabooks
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by dianabooks »

A book seriers that I highly recommend reading is The Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare. There is a romance but that isnt the main plot of the story. The romance involves a love triangles but this isnt a cliche love story it has a lot of plot twist. Which is why I recommend it!!!
dianabooks
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by dianabooks »

If you love mystery and supernatural powers then you should read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin. The main plot is about trying to find out what happened the day all her friends died and she survive.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”