Young adult book recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
smythemilie
Currently Reading: The Operator
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smythemilie.html
Latest Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem

Re: Young adult book recommendations

Post by smythemilie »

I would recommend The 5th Wave series. It is quite long but the trilogy always bring new aspects with each book - it is a post-apocalyptic earth and it follows the lives of a couple young adults and how they cope and live in the new world. My description doesn't do it near the justice it deserves but it is worth the read.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

The Pigman by Paul Zindel. It always makes me cry.
Gigareads
Favorite Author: Morgan Matson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gigareads.html
Latest Review: The Dream Keepers by Linda Keen
fav_author_id: 4123

Post by Gigareads »

I love everything by Morgan Matson, my favourite is Amy and Roger's Epic Detour. I love road trips and reading this felt like I was on one. I enjoyed learning about different places I've never been to before, while at the same time being entertained by the story unfolding as the two main characters get to know each other.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo is an amazing Young Adult novel! It really takes a break away from a lot of YA tropes and gives a new and exciting story for the reader! 4 out of 4 stars from me.
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

meganxxcooper wrote: 29 Jun 2015, 16:28 I recommend "Fangirl" by Rainbow Rowell. It is so witty, relatable, and entertaining! The characters are hilarious especially Levi. Most booknerds :wink: understand the perspective of Cath as a Fangirl for a book, so it's perfect for me and many others.

Secondly, "Throne of Glass" by Sarah J Maas is an exceptional read. Celaena is an assassin in a death camp until she is rescued, only to compete to be the King's personal assassin. The characters are valiant and Celaena is such a kick-butt female character.

Both reviews are on my page for more information. :D
I am actually reading Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell right now and agree with you completely! As for Throne of Glass, I liked it less than I like Fangirl, but can agree with you about the characters.
~Roxie~
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

If you are looking for a true page-turner that is thought provoking and full of action, read Scythe by Neal Shusterman!
~Roxie~
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I would recommend "The Seven Realms" series by Cinda Williams Chima. It's got it all: magic, romance, betrayal, a great protagonist... Definitely a must-read.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

Anything by Sarah J. Maas, but personally I recommend the Throne of Glass series. It's fictional and magical, but extremely fun.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
HanSmith97
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hansmith97.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 1 by Claire Youmans

Post by HanSmith97 »

dorebri2020 wrote: 25 Jul 2019, 08:23 Anything by Sarah J. Maas, but personally I recommend the Throne of Glass series. It's fictional and magical, but extremely fun.
I would agree that Sarah J Maas is amazing, but I would also recommend her A Court of Thorns and Roses series! It's one of the best series I've ever read.
Sarziesarah
Currently Reading: Ghostly Manners
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by Sarziesarah »

Harry Potter by J K Rowlings,born at midnight byCC Hunter Brave new world,secret circle, vampire academy,alpha girls, eagle elite, going down in flames,lux series and the least goes on.
jamibozz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamibozz.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by jamibozz »

Stalking Jack the Ripper.

Haven't gotten too far into it, but it's really progressive and witty.
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

I used to be an avid YA reader but I think I've grown out of it now. I have a few recommendations, I don't enjoy romance very much so for those of you who like their romance in the background, I think you'll find these interesting:
- The Escape From Furnace series: not well known at all, but really just so fantastic! It follows Alex who gets himself into juvenile prison for some making some really bad decisions but this prison turns out to be a very, very bad place. I loved this because it shows Alex, a really not-so-great-kid turn into a pretty decent one, how he forms friendships in the middle of hell, and their undying drive to make it through. It's funny, thrilling and emotional, just brilliant.

- After The Snow: Not well known either. Set in the future, but not science fiction. It follows the journey of 15-year-old Willow whose entire family goes missing one day, and how he navigates through being completely lost, not just physically but also mentally, and shows how decent people just help each other even when things are pretty bleak.

- Lockwood & Co.: The writing! I love the writing so much! Although the last book I did not enjoy very much, I loved the characters. It's hilarious, thrilling and full of mystery.

- Life of Pi: Not exactly YA, but does feature a 16-year-old protagonist. Gorgeous writing, and a very unconventional MC with a brilliant story about fighting through the odds when you're cripplingly lonely.
HarryPotterLibrary22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrypotterlibrary22.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by HarryPotterLibrary22 »

jamibozz wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 22:42 Stalking Jack the Ripper.

Haven't gotten too far into it, but it's really progressive and witty.
How did you find the series in the end?
Taniya Robinson
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Taniya Robinson »

I would love to recommend books of John Green like 1.turtles all the way down
2.fault in our stars
3.looking for Alaska
4.let it snow
And
5.fangirl by rainbow Rowell
6.harry potter
And more......
Hope this helps you :P
nanglada
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanglada.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by nanglada »

meganxxcooper wrote: 29 Jun 2015, 16:28 I recommend "Fangirl" by Rainbow Rowell. It is so witty, relatable, and entertaining! The characters are hilarious especially Levi. Most booknerds :wink: understand the perspective of Cath as a Fangirl for a book, so it's perfect for me and many others.

Secondly, "Throne of Glass" by Sarah J Maas is an exceptional read. Celaena is an assassin in a death camp until she is rescued, only to compete to be the King's personal assassin. The characters are valiant and Celaena is such a kick-butt female character.

Both reviews are on my page for more information. :D
"Throne of Glass" is an amazing saga that every single person who likes YA books should read.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”