Review of The Summer of Grace

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Review of The Summer of Grace

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Summer of Grace" by Karen Jones.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Elizabeth Grace, whose mother gave her the name, is taken to the farm with her dog, Brown Hound, to live with her grandmother and her cousin, Jane. She seeks refuge in her dog when her mother shouts at her. She opens up to both her great-grandmother and grandma at the farm since she feels more at peace there. She respects Jane and their friendship, and they regularly argue and reconcile just like friends. She runs across Marcell's strict personality and makes an effort to figure out what led to her bad habits. Grace utilizes her independence to her advantage, visiting unfathomable places and doing the unthinkable alongside Jane to find a solution to her troubling thoughts regarding Marcell. Grace subsequently discovers that Marcell's habits are more complex than she imagined and that Marcell's behavior is connected to her past. What are Marcell's hidden secrets? Read this book to find out more.

The Summer of Grace by Karen Jones explicitly addresses racism's causes and effects, as well as injustice and discrimination against people of color. Karen Jones explores a wide spectrum of emotions in this book, which has amazing twists and turns that keep readers interested. This novel was not boring because each character was depicted straightforwardly and concisely. The story is set in 1950s New Carolina on Miss Emily's farm and follows Elizabeth Grace and Brown Hound on their adventure. This engaging story by the author demonstrates the power of a curious young girl who is determined to learn and safeguard what is valuable to her at any cost.

Karen Jones hypnotizes her audience with a series of events. On every page, she keeps her readers guessing as she takes them on a fun adventure. The story depicts Grace's desire to endure at any cost to make others happy at the expense of her happiness. Despite opposition from people around her, particularly her mother, she perseveres. She overcomes her anxiety and learns how to deal with stressful situations. Grace's summer on the farm turned out to be a memorial display that went from her arrival at the property to her discovery of dark, hidden secrets, even though she had no idea how her time there would develop.

The most intriguing aspect of this novel to me is that, although Grace and Jane were barred from learning certain secrets that were meant to remain hidden, they both maintained a positive attitude toward their curiosity and worked together to discover things in their own small but significant ways. I especially appreciated the presence of her dog, who acts as an emotional supporter for Grace.

There is nothing I dislike about this book; each character was masterfully designed to shine in their unique way without taking up too much room, and this made me feel very connected to the story. The author's writing style is outstanding, and how she's able to tell this intriguing subject through the eyes of a ten-year-old child piqued my interest even more, and I enjoyed every aspect of this novel.

The events in the book are organized in an orderly fashion and recounted from the first-person point of view. This book will captivate readers since it builds suspense in their minds and provides comedic relief to soothe the tension built up while reading. As a result, I rate the book five out of five stars. The book is extremely well edited. I found no mistakes in it. I recommend this fascinating narrative to readers who enjoy adventure stories.

The Summer of Grace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Agbata Trust
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Agbata Trust »

I love the themes of this book. And I see the book as an easy and straightforward read without any complications. I am looking forward to reading this book.
Prisca olu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisca-olu.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Prisca olu »

This is so much going on in this book but it still beautifully organised. Having to keep a positive attitude despite odds is a virtue I admire in Grace. This is a great review.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

"The Summer of Grace" by Karen Jones seems to be an interesting book about life in the farm. I will read to find out Marcell's hidden secrets. Thanks for the review.
Chibee Glory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chibee-glory.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Chibee Glory »

What could Mercel be hiding from Grace? Her bad character was difficult for Grace her friend to change. From your review, Grace's attitude toward influencing people around her is admirable. Nice review!
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

Grace is an intriguing character. She is able to mix with people. Thanks for this review. The author did a lot in making me understand this book. That's great. Looking forward to reading this book.
Park Cherri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

I love the themes entailed in this book especially friendship. What secrets could they be hiding from Elizabeth? What did she and Jane discover? I’ll love to know this.
Park Cherri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

I love the themes entailed in this book especially friendship. What secrets could they be hiding from Elizabeth? What did she and Jane discover? I’ll love to know this.
Edwardsjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edwardsjay.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Edwardsjay »

I admire the detailed description of friendship in this review, well done.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

The story has an interesting plot and at the same time passed vital messages across. I enjoyed reading your review and look forward to reading the book. Well done
Oluchi Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Oluchi Samuel »

I loved that the author touched various social vices in this book, and also the various themes it contained. This book seems like quite an entertaining read. Great review.
Adeolaoskydeelight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeolaoskydeelight.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Adeolaoskydeelight »

This is an interesting storyline, thou it has so many characters but the author did a great job with their development. Great review
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

This is a great summary of this novel. We must know that the words we alter to our children have effects on them. Elizabeth couldn't confide in her mother but in her dog when her mother scolds her, this is an example of what happens when we don't care about the emotion of our kids. Great review!
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

This seems like an interesting book. I'm curious to find out where this story leads and the unique aspects that separate it from other books of the same genre. Nice review
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

This plot is interesting and will be an excellent read. Thank you for a well detailed review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”