Mortal Instruments TV Show vs. Movie

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Re: Mortal Instruments TV Show vs. Movie

Post by Swiftmover07 »

The T.v show recieved enough to make a second season! Though granted everything is getting thrown off from the books i think the actors are getting better in their rolls. I have this strange need to watch this show even though i don't think it's very good and you can tell its low budget i just can't help myself lol. I can't believe they woke up Clarys mom so early! Like wtf and new shadowhunters from the cup! Ggrr

Ok weird rant over.
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice
Bluebird208
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird208.html

Post by Bluebird208 »

I loved the series, but the movie and tv show are severely lacking in what I loved about the book series. The tv show is kinda fake, as in the special effects are terrible, but at least it's following the correct plot line. The movie however had decent special effects, but didn't follow the original plot line at all. See the dilemma? In conclusion to this, I think i'm just going to stick with the books.
[creativecluster]

Post by [creativecluster] »

ok I read all the books, I watched the movie when It came out and I watched the first season of the tv show. That being said books to movie or television is rarely done to justice, I think that I did like the show more then the movie and I also like the characters in the show that they picked better then the movie. I am excited to see the next season and what is to unfold they are doing a pretty good job with the story line so far so hopefully it doesn't take a turn for the worse.
knmayer610
Currently Reading: Crystal Crowned
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knmayer610.html

Post by knmayer610 »

I was so disappointed by both the movie and the tv show. I literally would let the tv show sit on my DVR for days at a time because I dreaded watching it. I LOVED the books but they always picked these characters that made the show seem like they were trying way too hard. Maybe they would both be better if they had increased funding, but I guess we won't see until next season. Plus I honestly just couldn't get over Clary's macaroni-orange hair. :roll2:
Kavyah
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavyah.html

Post by Kavyah »

No matter how good the movie is . It is sure to dissapoint atleast one person by not living upto their imagination. The book was way better as it leaves a reader to create his own scene
Ink0_0
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Ink0_0 »

WOW There is as much to say about this debate as there are pages in this epic series.
Now let's start off with the disclaimer that although this post may appear extremely negative about Cassandra Clare's work and the adaptions; the sole fact I read each instalment without fail one by one over the space of around 2 months (considering vast size of the Shadowhunter world) shows my love for the series.

There is so much a loathed about this movie but I'll keep it to my top two peeves; the plot and the PATRONISATION.

Clare built a fictional universe within these books, the sear scale of which was never going to be replicated in 90minutes of screening. I went into the movie knowing that much. However, I was not expecting the colossal downpour of WRONG the movie presented. I understand that the interconnecting story arches, inner politics of Downworld and complex emotions of the minor characters, were going to have to the scaled down or sacrificed for the movie to keep its pace. However, when you have such a captivating plot prewritten and adored by thousands at your fingertips, why not use it? Was I the only person that felt like I wasn't watching a book adaption? That the writers had kept the character names and the words 'Downworld' and 'Shadowhunter' and abandoned the rest?

Okay, establishing the inaccuracy of the movie, let's put that aside for a second and talk about the target market. Now, on the surface, I can understand how a young adult series about Vampires and Werewolves can appear perhaps.. twilight Esq (Like just another one of those tween fads). But anyone who has read Cassandra's work knows that's not the case. Some of the deeper themes and challenges the novels pose are extremely mature (race, abandonment, torture) and besides this, the horror of the books. Many aspects that set this series apart and raise the general reading age are the horrific events and descriptions (demon babies c'mon). The movie was so incredibly PATRONISING to the fans and to me myself.
What made this more disappointing was the simple fact that I love Lilly Collins, and Robert Sheehan just is Simon in every way. The movie had the actors, the money, the material, all the tools to be an incredible franchise... HOW DID IT ALL GO SO WRONG!

I could talk about this series forever, every aspect, and most likely will...
Direct me to the forum dedicated to William Herondale anyone???

-- 18 Jul 2016, 22:38 --
knmayer610 wrote:I was so disappointed by both the movie and the tv show. I literally would let the tv show sit on my DVR for days at a time because I dreaded watching it. I LOVED the books but they always picked these characters that made the show seem like they were trying way too hard. Maybe they would both be better if they had increased funding, but I guess we won't see until next season. Plus I honestly just couldn't get over Clary's macaroni-orange hair. :roll2:
That god damn orange hair!!! :shock: :hand: :roll2:
They all looked too pristine, so implausible. I don't know how Clare managed to make the shadow world so human and believable - all I know is she needs to give the directors some lessons.
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

I have yet to see the tv version but i know some people love it more than the movie. I myself wasn't impressed with the film adaptation, i made it through the first 15 minutes and bailed. :(
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Vivisbooks
Currently Reading: Shadow Kiss
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivisbooks.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Vivisbooks »

I love the actors that they chose for both the movie and TV show. I like the idea of making the Mortal Instruments into a Tv show although they are missing key parts of the story line in the TV show, which frustrates me.
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

I didn't hate the movie - even though I did wish that it had followed the book plotline better. I know that the TV show aimed to follow it more, but I watched the trailer and I just felt like the acting wasn't good at all compared to the movie, and I haven't watched the actual show because the trailer itself was so offputting :/
BookSavvy90
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksavvy90.html
Latest Review: "The Saltwater Ghost" by Shiela Jane

Post by BookSavvy90 »

I love the Mortal Instruments to death so when I found out the movie was finally happening I got very freaking excited. Then I went to the theater and saw it and well...I was not happy. For one I agree with you that they messed up big time by having Hodge give Valentine that idea and basically spoiling the big reveal of the third book; that irked me to no end. I actually had to fight the urge to get up and scream at the screen: NO ONE'S SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT YET YOU [INSERT SWEAR WORD HERE]!!!! I also found movie Jace to be rather dry when it comes to personality (no offense to Jamie Campbell Bower, I love him and I think he's an amazing actor) especially since we all know Jace as this cocky, sarcastic, sassy little punk we can't help but love. I loved Simon though, he was a total cutie.

As for the show so far it's pretty cool. Sure they changed A LOT but some of those changes actually work. I especially love that they casted people who actually look like the freaking characters. Dominic Sherwood as Jace= YES! He is amazing. I mean I wasn't sure at first but overtime he really grew on me. BTW am I the only one who noticed that the people in charge actually listened to the fans demand and didn't give Dom contact lenses? I swear his unique eyes just adds to Jace's character and I love it!

Okay since this is turning into a fangirl rant I'm just gonna shut up now.

Later Shadowhunters!

:)
Latest Review: "The Saltwater Ghost" by Shiela Jane
nicoledr
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicoledr.html

Post by nicoledr »

As a big fan of the books, I was really excited to hear that they were coming out with a movie. After seeing it I had come to the conclusion that it was "just alright". I didn't exactly feel as though they did the story justice. As for the television show, I think it could have been done better.
mhamby00

Post by mhamby00 »

I only watched the movie once. It was a couple of years after it came out and I thought it was good at the time. When I went on to read the series I didn't like the movie at all anymore. The movie missed so many major events that, in the books, affected the series greatly. I then watched the first season of the TV show and it was better, but one thing that was a major mistake was Dorothea. For all those that haven't read the series this wouldn't appear as a mistake but it was one of the first mistakes I noticed. Even though the series was off on some things it was still better than the movie and I definitely enjoy the show much more.
Lishaagray
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Lishaagray »

They didn't really follow the book as expected. I feel like the characters could have been better picked, while the movie was enjoyable to watch it doesn't really follow the book emotions, style etc. I would recommend reading the book, the movie was not trash its just not an A list movie.
nanglada
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanglada.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by nanglada »

Though the movie wasn't terrible, it was far from great. About the TV show, I liked that the casting looked exactly like the characters, but that is it. Everything else about that show is terrible, the acting, the special efects, the plot that is nothing like the book's. I couldn't get past season 1 because it made me cringe so bad.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

Honestly the movie destroyed the hype of the book. I did not like it at all. Hope the TV series does not disappoint me.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”