The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
betterreadthandead
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-betterreadthandead.html

Re: The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

Post by betterreadthandead »

I've never really been a fan of alien or extra terrestrial stories but this one grabbed me right away and I absolutely loved it. I've actually read it more than once just because I enjoy the story so much. I can't wait to see the movie. It's out now, has anyone seen it? I haven't seen very good reviews on the movie so far unfortunately.
ashleyink1809
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashleyink1809.html

Post by ashleyink1809 »

Fantastic storyline with the perfect amount of plot twists. Just when you begin to think the author can't possible top his latest punch-in-the-gut-darkest-of-the-dark-world-shattering scenario he does. I especially enjoyed the way the author jumps from one character to another to provide them each a unique voice and perspective. I couldn't put this book down!
LittleZed
Currently Reading: Rock
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlezed.html

Post by LittleZed »

Im a bit hesitant to read this story, I've heard mixed opinions about it, some saying they couldn't grasp the many different changes in perspective, whilst others really enjoyed this style. I think I will at least try it out before I see the movie, and I might have to save it for a rainy day when I have absolutely nothing else left to read.
candcandy19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-candcandy19.html

Post by candcandy19 »

What I found interesting about the book was that it was told from different perspectives but it didn't tell you who's perspective you had to read more into the chapter to tell who was telling you what was happening, also it helped if you remembered what happened to the characters last, overall I liked the book.
book_geek
Currently Reading: Black Ice

Post by book_geek »

My review on The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

Overall rating: 5/5.

This book was unlike anything I have ever read (in a good way). When I read the synopsis on Goodreads I was like: "Huh, this seems legit, I'll read it." And of course, the other reason was the cover *duh*. So this book was amazing. The main character didn't irritate me (which is really surprising, as a lot of MC girl characters do), the two guys were hot, attractive, cunning and fresh, the plot was FREAKING AWESOME like I didn't think it would be about aliens but when I realized that it was I was like: "Oh hell no, Im definitely not putting this book down now!" The setting of this book was really good, too.The amount of detail that Yancey used literally made me feel like I was there next to Cassie.

And of course, there's the whole sibling vibe to which I can very deeply relate to.

Basically, I loved this book. I can't of a single flaw/thing that would bring down my rating. Seriously.
brie32
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brie32.html

Post by brie32 »

I recently read the 5th wave because the movie was coming out. I knew that if I went and saw the movie first, I would never read the book. There I was, 2 days before the movie release trying to get through the first few chapters. I didn't like it at the beginning, it was to slow and not catching my interest. Once I got 4 or 5 chapters in though, I couldn't put it down. I ended up finishing the book that same day. I loved the book which made me excited to go see the movie as well. I went and saw the movie the day it came out. All I can say about that is, it definitely didn't live up to my expectations, at least the book was great!
Lara1412
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lara1412.html

Post by Lara1412 »

I loved this book. I finished reading it in December and I remember how I was really in love with it and told all my friends to read it. In my opinion the writing was great and the plot was interesting and it really pulled me in.
toryrose_13

Post by toryrose_13 »

I've read this book and its sequel, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. The characters were so easy to connect to and I love the author's style of writing. The way he spaced out the perspective views throughout the novel was brilliant and made for much more interesting reading. I will say my mother is reading it currently and says, "From a mother's perspective it's a bit depressing. Basically all my worst nightmares have been put into words and I'm not even a fourth of the way through." All in all, this is a wonderful book and I'm eagerly awaiting the third installment!
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

I didn't know that this was a book. I tried to watch the movie last night and I didn't get through it. I'm not a person that has trouble with devoting my attention to something, but with this movie I just couldn't get into it. I will not be reading the book for a couple of reasons. The dislike for the movie, and very seldom do I read and watch the movie of a piece. I find it ruins one or both.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
knmayer610
Currently Reading: Crystal Crowned
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knmayer610.html

Post by knmayer610 »

I actually listened to the whole first book on audio on vacation this past holiday season. I was really excited to "read" the book once I saw the trailer because I thought it looked really interesting and who doesn't love aliens? Throughout the book though I found most characters annoying and I struggled to really care for them. I also found myself finally getting the hang of what was going on to only find out that things weren't as they seemed, and then the things that weren't what they seemed were also not really that either. Even into the second book I still have no clue if there are aliens or whatever. I have the third one sitting in my Nook and I have a feeling it will be there a while...
ladibugjudi1

Post by ladibugjudi1 »

I read The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey with my 15 year old granddaughter. I loved the 1st and 2nd books in the series, but the 3rd book left me with a "is that all there is" type of feeling. The suspense and characters were so diverse in age, yet survival was inherent in each of them.
VFitz
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vfitz.html

Post by VFitz »

This was a great read. I enjoyed being in Cassie's head. Yancey creates such a stark dystopian world that Cassie lives in. It makes you wonder what plot could develop in such a lonely landscape. I loved the relationship with her brother and seeing what drives her to not give up. I sometimes found the descriptions a bit long but the fast-paced ending made up for it.
Katie Birch

Post by Katie Birch »

Lara1412 wrote:I loved this book. I finished reading it in December and I remember how I was really in love with it and told all my friends to read it. In my opinion the writing was great and the plot was interesting and it really pulled me in.
I think as well as you. Great book!
jaymecarruthers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaymecarruthers.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by jaymecarruthers »

When I first heard about this book, I actually was not at all interested. Then, I saw a trailer for the movie. I personally like to read the book before seeing the movie, and the movie looked AWESOME. So, I checked out the book. It took me a little bit to get into it, but once I did, I couldn't put it down. I actually really liked this book!
Sophi57
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophi57.html

Post by Sophi57 »

I love this book. I really like that Yancey isn't afraid to mention bodily needs in passing. I personally haven't found a lot of authors that do that.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”