REVIEW: Red Queen (Red Queen #1) by Victoria Aveyard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
heathersusanne
Favorite Author: JD Salinger
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heathersusanne.html
Reading Device: 1400699894

Icon REVIEW: Red Queen (Red Queen #1) by Victoria Aveyard

Post by heathersusanne »

Just when I thought I was done with the post-apocalyptic teenage hero/love story, I read this book. Yes, Mare (Mare like the horse? Marr-ay? I don't know) Barrow is a "special girl" and yes, the fate of the world lies in her hands, but Victoria Aveyard does an excellent job of weaving the story around, leading the reader in different and unexpected directions.

I am definitely disappointed that I happened to catch this series at the very beginning, because otherwise I'd be binge reading all of the books. Can't wait for the next one.
Devonaira
Currently Reading: The Death of Danny Daggers
Bookshelf Size: 1255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-devonaira.html
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Devonaira »

This was a cover buy. I’m going to admit that right now. I bought this book purely because the cover was gorgeous in hardback and I wanted it.

THIS BOOK BROKE MY HEART. It also broke my brother’s because when I made him read it he came into my room at 1am, screamed why at the top of his lungs and left again. He still whimpers whenever I mention it.

I read this book in 3 days. The only reason it took me so long was that those 3 days consisted of babysitting triplets, a trip ti the zoo with said triplets, and a birthday party. All of which I really didn’t want to do because Red Queen was just on my mind constantly.

I knew this book was no holds barred the minute the riot happened and then the thing with Gisa. Which made me scream out loud. I’m being vague because I refuse to spoil. This whole book was so beautifully written and really enveloped you into the world. My favourite character was actually Kilorn. Which, for those of you who have read the book will know, I was panicking and screaming quite a bit over him. Next favourite is Maven. Yeah this book was definitely meant to destroy me. But it destroyed me in a good way. I cannot wait for the sequels.

Also I'm also extremely anxious for the next one. Which we have to wait for until February 2016. But it just gives me a reason to reread this book in January again. I'd recommend this to everyone.
mnm1246
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mnm1246.html

Post by mnm1246 »

I found this book right before checking out during a routine Barnes and Knobles run. And thank god I did! Loved this book! I have trouble getting into dystopian YA novels, but this book was so interesting. The characters were interesting and had actual depth (something I find hard to find in many YA books). And let me tell...the ending! DID NOT SEE THAT COMING! A must read. I can't wait for the rest of the series. :D
heathersusanne
Favorite Author: JD Salinger
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heathersusanne.html
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by heathersusanne »

In case anyone is interested, the second book of the series has been announced, but no cover or title has been released. Victoria Aveyard is releasing clues to the title on her blog, however. Here's the link to the latest clue if you're interested. http://victoriaaveyard.com/post/1217699 ... een-2-clue The release date for the second book is February 9, 2016.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

These reviews and comments have made me want to read the book even more. I have seen it in the store/library and wasn't sure if I would like it and picked up other books instead. This may be on my next purchase list.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
meganxxcooper
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meganxxcooper.html

Post by meganxxcooper »

Now I want to read this even more! Barnes and Noble trip soon to come hopefully!
OnceUponABibliophile
Currently Reading: Snow Like Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 580
Reading Device: B00746W9F2

Post by OnceUponABibliophile »

I just finished this book the other day and I absolutely LOVED it!!! The world building is so incredible and the characters are dynamic. The title of the next book is "Glass Sword" and the cover is just as beautiful as the first! It is one of my most anticipated releases of 2016 :D
randanicole

Post by randanicole »

My copy finally came in the mail today! So excited, I can't wait to sit down and read this one.
StefanieB312
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stefanieb312.html

Post by StefanieB312 »

I absolutely love this book. I was torn up by the twist. I stayed up all night to finish this book, even with class the next day. As soon as I finished, I forced my best friend to start it just so I would have someone to talk to about it. I cannot believe how attached I got to people, and how upset I got over the twists. I cannot wait until the next book. February is too far away!
BookerK
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookerk.html

Post by BookerK »

I completely agree with you! I feel like I read so many fantasy and dystopian books that all start to mesh together, but I really enjoyed this one, and I can't wait to see how the other books turn out!

-- 05 Jan 2016, 11:26 --

I absorbed this book in a matter of a couple days. I found the beginning of the book to be a little slow because the cover mentioned that the main character was going to discover an ability that she didn’t know she possessed, but despite me finding it a little slow it was still enjoyable. I feel like she explained the world and the different abilities in a way that didn’t make the necessary information tedious. I feel like I learned with the main character rather than simply being told.

Death, love, deception, and hope... the Red Queen is set in the country of Norta. Ruled by the elites known as the Silvers. All Silver have a special ability that they believe proves their superiority over the Reds. Norta has been at war with the Lakelander’s, Silvers who also send out their savants to battle, for almost a century. Instead of using their own men and women who are blessed with special abilities the Silvers use the lowly Reds sending them to the war front at the age of eighteen, unless they hold one of the rare apprenticeships.

A rebellion, known as the Red Guard, has taken root and initiates bombings in the capital and on military bases in an attempt to get the attention of the king. They are trying to show the Silvers that even though they bleed differently, silver and red, and don't have any special abilities they are still equally important.

But then there is Mare Barrow; she has lived in the slums, the Stilts, her entire life. Mare is seventeen and with each day that passes, she resigns herself to the fate of being conscripted into the army like her three older brothers. But through a strange string of events she discovers a power within her that she never thought was possible, a power that will change the course of her life forever.

A Red with a special ability has always been thought of as impossible. Could Mare be the key to equality or will this new discovery tear Norta apart?

I really enjoyed the Red Queen. It explained the ideas and characteristics well, and the plot kept me invested and constantly wondering what was going to happen. There was rarely a dull moment, and I am excited to see where the second book, Glass Sword, takes the trilogy.
Raven1128
Currently Reading: What's Left of Me
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raven1128.html

Post by Raven1128 »

So I absolutely loved this book. At first I thought it was following a sort of Hunger Games path, but it turned out to be much much better. The psychological games and twists in the plot were unpredictable and fun to read as Mare tackles obstacle after obstacle.
mbieber13
Currently Reading: Fallen
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbieber13.html

Post by mbieber13 »

In the beginning of this book I also thought it was going to be very similar to the Hunger Games series, but was pleased to find it turned into something different and became an addicting read that I found it impossible to put down. I am counting down the days to February 8th, 2016 when book #2 will be released.
Jemmagurl
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Jemmagurl »

The read queen was amazing by far, it surpassed my expectations. Another heroin That Females can relate too ! bring them onnn !
sass-jay23
Currently Reading: Kisses from Katie
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sass-jay23.html

Post by sass-jay23 »

I am going to be that person. I wasn't fond of this book. The female protagonist was that same un likeable character whose only redeeming quality is she is putting her life on the line for her family. Too many of the characters elicited no emotion from me which is disappointing. I, too, admit this was a cover buy. Then as I read the inside flap I was really intrigued! It sounded so interesting! But I am tired of this female character that keeps being used in dystopian novels. This book's plot was outside of the box so I expected more from her characters. But there is potential. The series is only beginning and there is a lot of room for the characters to grow, along with the author's technique to approaching characterization. I remain open minded about the proceeding novels.
Lorirainbowbright
Favorite Book: An Ember in the Ashes
Currently Reading: Burning Midnight
Bookshelf Size: 249
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorirainbowbright.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Lorirainbowbright »

I really want to read this one. Its a book I have but have to get throw a few more books first. Love the reviews they make me want to read this book even more.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”