REVIEW: Red Queen (Red Queen #1) by Victoria Aveyard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ccranston
Favorite Book: The Last Time I Lied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccranston.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Re: REVIEW: Red Queen (Red Queen #1) by Victoria Aveyard

Post by ccranston »

There's going to be a Red Queen movie!!! I'm excited to see the Queenstrial scene! Hopefully the movie does the book justice. Who would ya'll like to see in the cast for the movie version of Red Queen?
Natalie_Taylor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-taylor.html
Latest Review: The Eclipsed by Dara Kent

Post by Natalie_Taylor »

Mare is insufferable. I was unable to connect with her and lacked empathy for her plight. The love triangle is trite and overdone. The classicist theme was unsubtle. And the writing and pacing were terrible. Like so many books, this story had so much promise, and I really felt like it fell very short.
lindsaysherlock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsaysherlock.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by lindsaysherlock »

When I first read this book, I loved it SO much. A few years later I read it again and was underwhelmed, anyone else experience this? I think my tastes have just matured.
ccranston
Favorite Book: The Last Time I Lied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccranston.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by ccranston »

I know a lot of people like to re-read books, but I just can't. For any book, no matter how much I loved it, I'm just not as excited about it the second time. Maybe your taste has changed or maybe you're like me and only enjoy the novelty of a book.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I seem to be one of very few people that wasn't immediately drawn in to the story. Dystopian is not my go-to but I generally do not mind the genre. I got about 15% in to ththe book before moving on.

The cover is gorgeous and the premise was promising. I keep telling my husband he would probably like it because he reads similar tales, but he hasn't taken the bait just yet. I think he will once he finishes Stormcaster. I'll eventually get back around to it, though.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
ReeKirro
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ReeKirro »

I thought Red Queen was amazing. Somehow it captured my attention within the very first chapter and for most books that is a very hard thing to accomplish. I would love to finish reading the rest of the series once I can get my hands on the rest of the books.
CCO1999

Post by CCO1999 »

Reading Red Queen was an interesting experience as you're put into a story that already in motion and have to figure out all of the pieces as you go along. While it might have the same tropes the many young adult novels have, and some even suffer from, Victoria Aveyard manages to weave this delightful tale that keeps you intrigued the whole way. The ongoing mystery of how Mare got her powers along with the tensions that arose as she tried to keep who she really was a secret from the other nobles made for a compelling narrative. It is a very well-written book with an ending that keeps you grasping for more without feeling unfulfilled. I am definitely looking forward to reading more in this series on the future.
PoisonWhiteRose
Currently Reading: Lion Heart
Bookshelf Size: 1967
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poisonwhiterose.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by PoisonWhiteRose »

I liked the book well enough but it didn't live up to my expectations. I was hoping for an epic book throughout. But the entire series was just blah. Don't get me wrong, it's a very good series. It just didn't hit any bells for me.
Rebekah the Reader
Currently Reading: Dating an Alien Pop Star
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekah-the-reader.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by Rebekah the Reader »

Could anyone offer advice?

I recently picked up the first official novel in Victoria Aveyard's Red Queen series, and I found it amazingly interesting. At the back of the book, there was a preview of the next book in the series, and as I was looking for the book, I found out that the series has a companion Novella, which I'm having trouble finding. Is the novella vital to the storyline, or can I read the next book in the series without having read it?
EvaKSoni

Post by EvaKSoni »

You can read the next book of the series without reading the Novella. I have read 3 of the 4 books so far and I have not picked up the Novella even once. The author does a good job of explaining what is occurring in each scene of the book and I understood everything that was going on without having to read the Novella.
EvaKSoni

Post by EvaKSoni »

I had to re-read Red Queen to fully appreciate what the author is trying to portray to us. I feel if we put out dislikes aside and actually try and become one with the Character then we will find ourselves enjoying the book much more than we had originally believe we could’ve.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I read them all and I was a bit disappointed with the ending. It doesn't stand out amidst other YA books, but it certainly isn't one of the worst.
Mat_Tea
Favorite Book: The Girl With All the Gifts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Mat_Tea »

I have mixed feelings about the Red Queen series. Although I absolutely adore the first book that not only kick started the series but also peeked my interest in books all together, the following two books, Glass sword and Kings cage, lack in comparison. I definitely recommend the series for upcoming bookworms and if you’ve already tackled the first three why not just finish the series?

War Storm I liked just as much as Red Queen and I understand why the middle books felt so long and it’s because they were meant to set the terrain for War Storm after all you can’t have a war without an Army.
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

Unfortunately, this series was a flop for me. I greatly disliked the characters and found that the book relies on many tropes. Either way, the cover is still great!
~Roxie~
kwatkins75
Favorite Book: Red Queen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by kwatkins75 »

This book is in my top 5 favorites and believe me when I say I've read hundreds of books. Once you read the first chapter you will be unable to put it down. So may twist and turns things your mind could never have thought.I read this book in just a couple of days, it was so interesting. Usually, I like to take my time reading books to really take in everything happening, yet I couldn't seen to put this down. It was as if I was watching a movie and I was afraid I would miss something. This book is a perfect medium for almost everyone. It has its romance, thrillers, mysteries, and so much more. This book will hit you deep as its main conflict is much like conflict we have today and have had since the beginning. After reading this i can almost guarantee you'll be after the next in the series.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”