REVIEW: Red Queen (Red Queen #1) by Victoria Aveyard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Re: REVIEW: Red Queen (Red Queen #1) by Victoria Aveyard

Post by Mannie913 »

I finished the Red Queen yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. I do like the story. At first I was a little disappointed because it sounded so similar to the Selection to begin with; like the main character's name. In the Selection was America but Aspen always called her Mer and the main character in this one is Mare. I would pronounce them the same. Anywho, I was happy with how it changed.

It had a hint of the Hunger Games in it but not too much to pull me away from the story. I am not happy with Mare. I didn't have a full idea of Maven being such a traitor but I was really disappointed in her decisions. When it came to the assassinations, I knew it wouldn't bother her afterwards because she is thinking of all the people these few lives would save. This happens all the time during war even though we don't like to admit it. I appreciate that she wasn't viewed as the best person like most characters are. I don't think I would personally want to be her friend. She's really rough around the edges.

CAL. Oh Cal. I love him. I don't believe Mare deserves him. He is truly good and I think during his reign he would have been able to figure out a way to treat the Red's better. He was already working on it. It was clear he felt for the Reds since he was going into the villages at night to listen and see. He gave her a job. He took her to see her family. He tortured the rebels because that's exactly what they are. He is a Crown Prince. He can not just let these prisoners free just because the girl he likes doesn't like to see him do his job. I felt Mare is very selfish. She was constantly complaining about her situation and telling the Princes they have nothing to fret about. Mare didn't consider the things that Cal and Maven had to go through with their parents being royalty and so strict. Like when they had to go to the front to become 'men'. It clearly broke Maven but Cal was clearly trying to fix it. He was going to go to the front line and fight with the Reds. That counts for so much.

I hate how she tried to use him to get to his dad. If she hadn't done that, I think he could have forgiven her even though she was part of the rebellion because it was clear Maven was playing her. But when she decided to turn around and use Cal....that shattered their relationship. He was a friend protecting her for as long as he could in the Bowl of Bones which I don't even think she deserved. This just shows how great of a man and King Cal would've made to his kingdom.

I am anxiously awaiting my 2nd book in this series to be delivered so I can see how Mare makes this up to him. I am glad Shade is alive. I think this will have a love triangle between Killorn, Mare, and Cal. I think Cal still loves her but he's not sure how to get past it and trust her. I don't think they will get back together. I predict her getting with Killorn.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Dinanakrach
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dinanakrach »

I loved the red queen . I just finished reading it yesterday. I never expected the end. Well I was reading the book I was always off my seat . It very will written that today I Bought the second book glass sword but haven't still started it yet . This second time I will read one of your books. I think I am in love .
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

Huge fan of this series as well, but I'm sad to say that the second book wasn't as good as the first. I haven't read the third one yet, but we'll see!
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

I loved this book! I've heard good things about the reat of the series as well so I plan to read them all. :D

-- 16 Mar 2017, 14:23 --

I loved this book! I've heard good things about the rest of the series as well so I plan to read them all. :D
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

I love books like these. Fantasy/ Dystopian novels are my favorite. I have to see if I can buy this soon to read.
DDunstock
Currently Reading: Casimir Bridge
Bookshelf Size: 281
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ddunstock.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by DDunstock »

I enjoyed Red Queen, but did not enjoy the sequel, Glass Sword. I hated Glass Sword so much that I haven't even thought about King's Cage yet. It's on my bookshelf and the Type A in me says that I of course need to finish! But... yuck.

But Red Queen was solid!
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
BooksandMisadventure
Currently Reading: The Silent Wife
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by BooksandMisadventure »

This is one of those books that stays with you long after finishing it. I had just finished reading some of the books by Sarah J. Maas and was worried it wouldn't live up to my standards, but it did. I related a lot to Mare, a strong and confident 17 year old. Loved how Mare doesn't need saving and learns to harness her own powers. Highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a book about love, betrayal, magic, and alternate realities.
toribyers13
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toribyers13.html
Latest Review: What the River Wants by Arthur Byrd

Post by toribyers13 »

At the beginning of this book I sensed that "Selection" vibe too, and I was pleasantly surprised when it drifted away from that storyline. Also, I totally agree with you!! Cal is just amazing, and Mare makes me so upset! While I love the way she is willing to fight for her family, I hate that she can't see the harm she's doing. Well, she may see it but she doesn't care. Maven truly surprised me and made me incredibly angry... But in the end, I think I am the most angry at Mare. Poor, sweet Cal. :(
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I loved the book Red Queen, but I didn't like many of the other books within the series. Hopefully I will be able to enjoy War Storm.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I absolutely loved these books. But every time a new one comes out I have to re-read the previous ones to refresh my memory. It happens with every series I get into that hasn't already been completely published.

Unfortunately for me, I thought King's Cage was going to be the last book. The entire time I kept thinking, "there's only so many pages left, where is this going?" I haven't gotten to War Storm yet.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I too read this book in a matter of two days and found it compelling. The cover is pretty amazing. I enjoyed the diverse characters and was actually surprised by some of the twists and turns. The end felt a little rushed to me and I was not sure it was believable for them to escape. However, I look forward to reading the second one.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

I have a really big tbr right now but this series is next on my list. They look so good and I keep hearing such great things about them.
ASB_1
Currently Reading: Andalusian in jerusalum
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asb-1.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by ASB_1 »

Thanks for posting. I’m definitely gonna read this books.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Aixa Miller
Currently Reading: Wicked Designs
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aixa-miller.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Aixa Miller »

Thanks for all the reviews, it makes me get up and finally read my copy. I'm glad to hear that there is a sequel. I wonder if there are more? I'm definitely going to see. :D
Angel_aubrey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Angel_aubrey »

Although at first this book reminded me of “The Hunger Games” because of the mood and the setting of the story, it also had a lot of unique and interesting factors in it. You could really tell that the story focuses on discrimination among social classes, and the effect of what power will bring to an individual if he/she has it.

This story centered on Mare, a red blood who acquired special powers. In this, we can say she was very unique and it brought interest to the king and queen. The story was very interesting as it progresses.We can see a hint of “forbidden love” between the characters and how they were able to oppressed their feelings for one another for they are wed to another. But this book totally made me emotional especially in the ending. There was definitely a twist in the ending, it was very unexpected at the same time I was able to understand why that character did that. It had a cliffhanger in the end which makes you so excited to read the next book that comes along with it.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”