The Luxe Series, Anna Godbersen, SPOILERS

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
abourque
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Luxe Series, Anna Godbersen, SPOILERS

Post by abourque »

I read this series years ago when I picked up the first book of the series. I typically read more supernatural type books or dystopian realities but this series really intrigued me. It takes place in America in the end of the nineteenth century. The series follows two sisters who are very different. The oldest is quiet, sweet, and very reserved. The younger is rebellious, outspoken, and willful. They are in New York society and their mother is a widow trying to marry them to wealthy men. There are many surprises in the series and the sisters take their own paths behind closed doors with men their mother would not approve of and lifestyle choices they make on their own. The book gives a great balance of this perfect society everyone wants to portray and the dark secrets everyone hides. I loved how the sisters made choices on their own and didn't just swoon over any guy. They are both ambitious and strong characters. I could not stop reading the books! The series could move a little slowly (it's not a story of action) but was always full of gossip and drama. Great story about the society during the time and the vast difference between that society and the servants and poor working for themselves. I would recommend this series to anyone!!
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

I liked this series a lot, I did feel at times that it got bogged down in details. Dresses, dresses, and more dresses. They did keep me in suspense though--especially the forbidden romances!
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I loved this series! Everything about it was great; the plot, the characters, the setting. The series stays interesting from the first book to the last and by the last book I learned to love almost all the characters even the ones that I disliked in the beginning. I also really enjoyed Anna Godbersen's other series called Bright Young Things.
_hbanga
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 8">Perfect Chemistry</a>
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hbanga.html

Post by _hbanga »

I love the Luxe series, it was so much fun to read it was very scandolous and I loved following the lives of Elizabeth and Diana and loved how different they both were. The story reminded me of if Gossip Girl was set placed in the 19th century. Probably am going to reread it again :D
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I definitely prefer more fantastical paranormal books, but the covers of this series got me! I usually don't read much historical fiction, but Godberson's writing is engaging. I devoured the series and I'm glad that others have read them, too. Has anyone read her other series set in the 1920s?
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”