Review of The Outside Club

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Review of The Outside Club

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Outside Club" by Jeff Baker.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Outside Club by Jeff Baker uses the narrative of 13-year-old Payden Thain to tell the tale of the town of Manger. Prior to Payden's birth, two children were missing, leaving the town's residents to spend most of their time indoors and only venture outside when absolutely necessary. Children were not seen in the park or on the streets, and the adults also were afraid. Everyone had a more active online life than they did offline. Until Minka Sharpe, a new girl, walked into the community, everyone carried on as before. Payden and Minka became friends, and Minka shared with him her ambition to start an outdoor club where kids could leave their houses, play, and engage physically with one another. Payden and two of his friends, Jada and Reuben, readily agreed to assist her. Did they complete their mission? What became of the two missing children? Get your copy to find out more.

The book begins as a typical coming-of-age story before turning into a stunning thriller with a ton of surprising turns along the way. I took away some wonderful life lessons from this book, one of which was that living well and making a difference in the world is more profitable than leading a pointless existence. This book also stresses the value of forging enduring friendships and appreciating the present. Despite the emotional anguish, I experienced halfway through the novel, I wouldn't have wanted it to end any other way because it was so pleasant. I was completely absorbed as I read about how this new girl and these guys intended to open the outdoor club. This book goes into great depth on all the difficulties they faced when attempting to launch the club. As I turned the pages to learn who the assassins and kidnappers of those kids were, I was on the edge of my seat.

Minka Sharpe is my favorite character; she demonstrated that maturity is not solely reliant on age, and her altruism and empathy were also quite admirable. I adored the way the author infused life into her personality. She was so brave, and I could feel every emotion she was experiencing. My interest was sparked more by the book's audacity. I grew even more in love with her personality as a result of her gift to Payden. In this book, the author deftly blends love and action. I was astonished to learn who was responsible for the disappearance of those kids. Excellent writing is used by the author. I've never felt bad about reading this book.

Everything about the book is wonderful. I adored how vividly the author portrayed each individual. Because of how well the book was written, at times I thought I was watching a movie, and the details made it simple for me to picture the plot. Some people might find the profanities offensive, but I didn't find them offensive because they served to highlight the characters' current state of annoyance. I'll congratulate the author for his imaginative writing. I must express my gratitude to the editor for finding no mistakes in the book. The book is excellently edited.

I rate the book 5 out of 5 stars since it is exceptionally creative and I learned a lot from it. I could identify with a few of the book's characters. I advise all ages to read this book, especially those who are giving up on their aspirations and life goals. They'll undoubtedly like the book.

The Outside Club
View: on Bookshelves
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

This book sure has an interesting plot. I like Minka's courage and the friendship between her and Payden. I hope they complete their mission. Wonderful review welldone!!!
Park Cherri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

I love Minka’s courage. Her bravery saved the whole community from being holed up inside. I really hope their mission is fulfilled and the murderers were apprehended.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

The title and the dark cover with the bright red ball pulled me in. The review has been excellently written and this book sounds like a must-read. I can't imagine being cooped up in a house permanently with mainly the online world to keep me company. I would love to find out how this wish developed and the struggles they endured to try and make it work. I love that there is more than one storyline in this keep and it keeps you intrigued from the start to the end!
Chris Don Nwaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-don-nwaka.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Chris Don Nwaka »

I love how these youth came together to bring to an end the calamity happening in the land. But my favorite character is Minka Sharpe who brought the idea. good job.
Emeka Emordi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-emordi.html
Latest Review: God is Willing by Charlene Murray

Post by Emeka Emordi »

In a town where fear has grounded both old and young ones, I wonder how the kids will be able to accomplish their mission. This tale will be an interesting one that I would love to read.
Moo Reny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moo-reny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Moo Reny »

Reading your review, Minka Sharpe is also my favorite character I like that she demonstrated that maturity is not solely reliant on age, and her altruism and empathy were also quite admirable. I also like the way the author infused life into her personality.
Adeolaoskydeelight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeolaoskydeelight.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Adeolaoskydeelight »

I admire Minka's character so much, she practically exhibited an act that can be emulated. Wonderful review
Chris Walter Mason
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-walter-mason.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Chris Walter Mason »

I have fallen in love already with this book. My favorite character in this novel is Minka, her initiative brought freedom to the land. I will give this book a try. Good job.
ArdentPeruser
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ardentperuser.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by ArdentPeruser »

This review makes me want to read the book.

The town of Manger seems to be in its sort of lockdown because of the missing children. The newcomer made it a mission to change this situation. It is inspiring as the story shows that this set of teenagers will become the hope of their town to uncover the mystery of the lost.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

Minka's character is a reflection of true leadership. As the saying goes "Age is just a number"
Young as she is, she's still reliable and mentally mature.
Grace Elkana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-elkana.html
Latest Review: Humanity Works Better by Debbie Cohen, Kate Roeske-Zummer

Post by Grace Elkana »

Change is hard to readjust to, especially when people are already accustomed to a lifestyle over time. I already see Minka meeting an obstacle as she tries to implement change of lifestyle for the kids.
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

A book that talks about how town residents spent most of their life online following the incident of two children missing In the town, but everything changed when a new girl name Minka enter the residence and had the plan to open a club where all the children could come out and had fun. The book was written well and excellently edited. Thanks for the great review.
Sandra Ijeoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-ijeoma.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Sandra Ijeoma »

I appreciate that your review of this intriguing book piqued my interest. Given the unidentified causes of their dread of coming out, Minka's fearlessness in proposing a solution that will encourage physical interaction among people is astounding. I am eager to read this book.
CrossK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

Wow, what a fantastic review this review has given me some insight about some interesting part in the novel. Tremendous work.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”