Review of 4th & Long:

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fawmi FJumana
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawmi-fjumana.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of 4th & Long:

Post by Fawmi FJumana »

[Following is a volunteer review of "4th & Long:" by Garrett M Stapleton.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Matthew Gordon is a child with Down syndrome. But he passed on all assessments and evaluations of the formative years. His evaluations allowed him to enrol at Chelsea High School, where his mother worked. Matty faced the difficulties of high school life to a certain point with the whispers, giggles, and finger-pointing. He had no real friends in high school. This was when the new football coach gave him the job of water boy in the Rams team. This brings a bit more trouble with the starting quarterback, Brian, for Matty. But from a certain point, Matty became a very valuable player on the Rams team, helping them achieve their victories. Matty forms new friendships and experiences new changes throughout the season. 

4th & Long: A Gridiron Parable by Garrett M. Stapleton was such a joy to read. This young adult novel follows Matthew from his birth to his sophomore year in high school. Though the first page of the book, with how Lindsey and Paul met and Matty's formative years, felt rushed, the author went back to a moderate pace after that. Though I haven't watched a football match ever, I enjoyed the detailed practice sessions and the matches. The plot of the book was well fleshed out for a short read.

What I liked the most was the simple language the author employed in the story and how the author detailed everything within a few pages, as the book was short. I also liked how Brian realized his attitude toward Matty was wrong and changed. I loved the character development in the book and how the character of Matty grew out to be. Even the side characters were given good development. And how Matty made lasting friendships and was comfortable with them was so beautifully detailed. I felt as if I were there with the characters throughout the book. 

The only thing I wish to change is adding numbers to the pages of the book. Other than that, there was absolutely nothing I disliked in this book. I enjoyed this very short but moderately paced young adult novel. 

I would say the book is professionally edited, as I have spotted only a few words with missing letters in my reading. I give 4th & Long: A Gridiron Parable a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. I didn't deduct a star because there was nothing I disliked in the book and the errors were very minor and few. I would recommend the book to readers who like football and high school themes and also to teenagers because of the message the book has for them. Anyone in general who enjoys a short read with love, friendships, and warmth would love this book. 

4th & Long:
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”