Twilight Series by Stephaine Meyer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stumbleindevotion
Currently Reading: Let the Right One In
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stumbleindevotion.html

Re: Twilight Series by Stephaine Meyer

Post by stumbleindevotion »

I remember when New Moon came out and I borrowed it from a friend and cried three or four times when I first read it. It was great to read as a teenager but I don't think I could ever go back and read it now. New Moon and Breaking Dawn were my favourites of the series, with Eclipse being my least favourite. I just wish she had finished Midnight Sun!
kitsune1997
Favorite Author: Derek Laundy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitsune1997.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by kitsune1997 »

Oh I loved the series too! But I hated the movies, I was forced to watch them with my best friend and I detested them.
I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.
Jorge Luis Borges
NotNowImReading
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-notnowimreading.html

Post by NotNowImReading »

I am a 40-something-year-old woman. Did I want to read the Twilight books when my friends insisted? No. Did I get sucked in immediately and couldn't put them down? Yes. Did I swoon over the thought of sparkly, cold to the touch, chivalrous vampire Edward? Yes. Am I proud of this? No.
dragontattoo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragontattoo.html

Post by dragontattoo »

I was in middle school I think when Twilight first came out and my best friend recommended it. I fell in love and bought each book as it came out. We would often have our own little book club about the series as well. It was really fun. I was a big reader back then. I'm glad people are still enjoying the books.
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

I also read the series before it came out on film. I enjoyed the books. I think someone at work recommended them to me. I was home over a long weekend following minor outpatient surgery. I read the entire series by the time I went back to work. By the time I finished the second book I started asking my family to go buy me the next one so I would have it when I was done.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
batkinson6490
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Illustrated Edition
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batkinson6490.html
Latest Review: "High Hopes" by Sue Lilley
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by batkinson6490 »

I am also a lover of the series. I read the books, then watched the movies, then read the series again. Definitely prefer the books like most do. I must say 90% of the time I prefer books over movies anyways but the Twilight Series is definitely a book series that could have had better movies. I know it had to fit a certain audience but hey, at least we still get the books yeah!! I can still change the characters faces around in my mind when I read the books. :lol: :P
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times when one only remembers to turn on the light."
Latest Review: "High Hopes" by Sue Lilley
SABernier12
Currently Reading: The Stand
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabernier12.html

Post by SABernier12 »

I loved this series, even as an adult. However, I recommend only reading the books and not watching the movies. The books were so enchanting and the way the movies portrayed the characters didn't do any of them justice. I think any person with any reading preference can enjoy these books as long as they begin reading them with an open mind. *warning* you will wish you were a vampire!

SABernier
RobinStock
Currently Reading: A Court of Thorns and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinstock.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by RobinStock »

There was seriously something magical about the Twilight books. I could not put them down. I read the first book and when I finished, literally ran out the door so I could go buy the next three. I skipped half a day of work to finish Breaking Dawn. It was the Twilight series that renewed my interest in writing, honestly. I know many people hated them, but I just loved them. My daughter is reading them now (she's 13) and she loves them too.

P.S. I jokingly say, often, that I think they sprinkled an addictive substance on the pages. I still can't explain why I loved these books so much, but they changed my life. Seriously.
sarah242k
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah242k.html

Post by sarah242k »

I really do love this series. Kinda funny story. When the Twilight thing blew up, I was totally against it. I mean, sparkly vampires, please. But, one of my best friends just loves it. I had been trying to get her to read Harry Potter for I don't know how long. So she proposed that if I read Twilight, she would read HP. She got to book 5 and I decided I better hold up my end of the deal. I fell in love!! Such a well written series. I've considered re-reading but haven't managed the time to dedicate to it again. Oh, and she loves HP too!! Yay!!
SS_83

Post by SS_83 »

May Contain Spoilers

To be honest while I read all four books I was disappointed. Especially when looking back at what I recall.

A girl with low self-esteem, described as plain, and in nature a middle aged old soul at the age of 17 falls for a 104 or 105 year old vampire frozen at age 17.

Now in the first book its relatively innocent and sweet other than the whole watching her sleep and stalking. In the second book Bella deals with heartbreak and has a "midlife crisis" at age 18. In the third book Bella continues to have midlife crisis and commits infidelity while engaged. Yeah... I am not too sure how soulmates or "greater than a soulmate" work but I doubt one would stray from someone so powerfully connected to you. Meyer's concept and mention of soulmate also conflicted with the concept of imprinting that she created. Then the final book. Bella becomes Super Vampire. She is shown as too perfect and powerful in this book.

The obsessive, controlling, manipulative and bratty natures of the characters were a turn off throughout the series. For being professionally published this book wasn't very well written. The author's syntax seemed awkward even to me (and I can't write at all).

Overall would I recommend the series? With a warning that don't spend money on it and borrow it from the library first. While I may not have liked the Twilight Saga most people who have read the series loved it.
mforrester

Post by mforrester »

I definitely agree with the original post. I loved the books, they described a high school love, and what every girl hopes for, but they had the vampire aspect to give it a bit of edge. They were definitely well written, but I feel like the movies took down the original plot of the books by a lot.

I will, however, admitthat as the movies went on, they got better as the budget went up and the fight scenes unfolded they definitely did it justice.

Overall, good series.
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

I read the books before seeing the movies. It is hard not to compare the books to the movies but I have told myself many times to pretend they are two separate things. This helps me to actually enjoy the movie even if I think the books are better. The series was written well and I enjoyed reading the books. I even pulled an all nighter to finish the last book because I couldn't put it down.
ghudson

Post by ghudson »

I read the books before watching the movies too. I really enjoyed it. It indeed is a well written series. :)
Mamma_J
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Currently Reading: Uprooted
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamma-j.html
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Mamma_J »

I too read this series before they were made into movies. I began reading them because my preteen daughter had heard all the hype and wanted to read them. I was warned that the content could be a bit racey, so I wanted to know what my daughter would be reading. I found that the books were quite enjoyable. I enjoyed the interaction of the characters and the plots as a whole. I was a bit put off by the vampire descrepencies, being a Dracula fan, but those were minor.
The more adult content was mainly in the last book, but wasn't overwhelming. I let my daughter read the books and made sure I was there to explain things that I thought needed clarification.
Overall, it was a good romance story with a fictional twist. I would recommend to anyone, with a caveat that some parental involvement made be needed for younger readers.
adria_charles
Currently Reading: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adria-charles.html
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman

Post by adria_charles »

I also read the books before the movies. I remember reading the books and absolutely loving them. I became a huge fan of Twilight. Then the movies came out and I was utterly disappointed. It is already hard enough for me to wholly enjoy a movie that was previously a book I read, but for some reason the movies basically ruined the story for me. I have yet to go back and read the books again. I have had my eye on them recently and have been pondering my ability to pick the series back up. This forum makes me think something somewhere is trying to push me to do just that. To let me know that the movies did NOT ruin the books.

I am definitely someone that has a hard time separating movie from book. I wish this weren't so.
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”