A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah Maas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kecaesar1
Currently Reading: Missing Pieces
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kecaesar1.html

Re: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah Maas

Post by kecaesar1 »

A Court of Thorns and Roses is my absolute favorite book, although it is a bit mature for younger YA readers due to a great deal of sensuality. Sarah J. Maas has done it again; her writing was beautiful in A Throne of Glass, and she has yet to disappoint.

In the beginning, Feyre lives with her crippled father and two older sisters in a hut outside of a village. Feyre is the family's sole provider, and she often travels deep into the woods in order to find game to hunt to feed her family. The entire mortal world is also threatened by Prythian, the fae realm whose borders are very close to the village. Fae occasionally get around the wall encasing Prythian into the mortal world and wreak havoc. One day, Feyre shoots and kills an oversize wolf in the woods, ignoring the consequences of her actions until a large fae creature arrives, demanding her life in exchange for the life of the wolf, who was really a fae man in disguise.

The arrival of this fae creature begins a retelling of Beauty and the Beast, as Feyre struggles to hold on to her humanity despite living with creatures she considers monsters and having her eyes opened to the world of the fae, which is really not so different from the mortal world. One wrong choice, however, may have dire consequences and end the world as Feyre knows it.

The characters are very well developed, but unfortunately Feyre loses some of her strong will along the way and becomes reliant on a lover, but this is remedied in A Court of Mist and Fury, the next book in the series. I would definitely designate this book as a five-star read.
SARAH01
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah01.html

Post by SARAH01 »

This book really surprised me. I love where it brought me tho, magical!
AHeartOfWords
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aheartofwords.html

Post by AHeartOfWords »

This Book Has Ruined MY Life!!!!! From the first moment I opened up this book I was unable to put it back down. Since reading this book a month ago i have been unable to find any other books that interested me. I have to keep going back and rereading this book over and over again... Im addicted and I can't stop.
niahime roberts
Currently Reading: Errant Spark
Bookshelf Size: 493
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niahime-roberts.html

Post by niahime roberts »

If you enjoy this book from Sarah J. Maas, then you might also enjoy her other series; Throne of Glass. The protagonist in this series is extremely talented, strong and most surprisingly female, her name is Celaena Sardothien. This series is probably one of the best Fantasy series that have been put out recently.
AllThatIsLeft
Currently Reading: Dreamless
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reading Device: B00XKBY94O

Post by AllThatIsLeft »

I started with Throne of Glass series first, then moved to ACOTAR, which I liked, but didn't love. I gave it a chance because I thought Sarah J. Maas was a rising author. Throne of Glass series really captured me.

When I read A Court of Mist and Fury, the reader in me died when the last words of that finished. I had reading depression for a month! I recommended the book to my friend because I couldn't be the only person to suffer from it. I had to read it twice again, before I could move on from the story.

This book is at the top of my reading list, I absolutely LOVE IT! I will probably read it again before the year is over. I highly suggest reading this book, if you enjoy female leads, progressive character growth, and unexpected twists and turns. To the point you dont know who you want to win or lose.
briellanoelle

Post by briellanoelle »

An old tale spun and twisted into a new story. A book that had me fanning my face and pulling out my hair all at once. I couldn't put it down, finishing the book in the early hours of the morning. A Court of Thorns and Roses, a bold take on one of my favorite stories, Beauty and the Beast, was magnificent. But it was more than a tale of beauty and a beast, it was about deception and magic and shortcomings that all melded together to create this masterpiece. I was in love with this book, and I am so excited to read the acclaimed sequel. 
     Feyre is the sole provider for her family after they lost their fortune eight years before the novel takes place. The only way to keep her family from starving is to hunt. But after she takes down a wolf in the woods, a beast comes for her in the night claiming that she either go with him or die. In a world with Faeries and dark magic, Feyre can only count on the word  and promise of this beast that she will not be harmed once she crosses into Prythian, the realm of the Faeries where humans have not gone in centuries. It isn't until she reaches this land that she learns who her capture really is, Tamlin, the High Fae of the Spring Court. There are many secrets and plots that keep Feyre in the dark about the evil that is rising across the sea and the blight that causes the magic of the Fae to revolt and work against them. There is an evil that wants Feyre and the rest of the human world gone. But as she slowly finds herself falling in love with Tamlin, the dangers that surround her only grow more powerful. 
     A classic beauty and the beast story is always my favorite. It was my favorite fairy tale growing up and once I realized that this novel was a spin on that story, I fell in love with it. But it was more than that classic tale. It was rough and sensual and magical. Feyre is a character who is very easy to love. She is willing to spend the rest of her life with a beast in order to protect her family, much like Belle in the classic Beauty and the Beast. However, the curse that is places on Tamlin and his court is much more complicated than the one on the beast from the Disney tale. Tamlin is dark and powerful, raw and sensual all at once. Each moment he had with Feyre left me gushing. It was more than the romance that left me enchanted, it was the world that Sarah J. Maas created. The world of the Fae is one that I believe should never be put on the big screen for the sole reason that the movie industry could never do the Fae world justice. It is beautiful, a world that holds such a strong foundation that perfectly sums up the book. Following Feyre's journey through the book I felt like I was stepping into her shoes and walking through the orchards and the manor, taking in the colors and scents and sounds of this new world. 
     It was more than Feyre's love for Tamlin that I adored, it was her spirit, hard and powerful that kept her fighting for him in the end of the novel. The world of the Fae is complicated and when Amarantha's curse was revealed I was practically screaming at Feyre for not confessing her love for Tamlin when she had the chance. But it did lead to the suspenseful challenges that proved Feyre's love was real and powerful enough to break the curse. There are so many character's that I love and learned to love as I read the novel, some of which I anticipate will have a bigger part in the sequel. I am definitely looking forward to getting my hands on a copy of A Court of Mist and Fury. 
Last edited by Gravy on 13 Oct 2016, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited out "official review"
alex-l
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-l_111501.html

Post by alex-l »

This is totally on the books I have to read list!
aleskarose_

Post by aleskarose_ »

This book has destroyed me as it gave me the epitome of a book hangover. Not only did it give such an amazing story, but this story holds amazing characters that continued to develop up until the very last page.

I cannot stress enough how wonderful this book is an recommend it to those who enjoy a rich and beautiful re-telling of a well known classic. A book for those who enjoy an amazing lead who faces her own demons of all levels.

A book that I picked up randomly because of the amazing cover that made me wish my flight was shorter so I could find/buy the next book!
EnceeBooks_3722
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enceebooks-3722.html

Post by EnceeBooks_3722 »

Sarah J Maas did it again! This is definitely one of my all time favorite books. It was a combination between Beauty and the Beast and The Iron Fey. I literally could not put the book down. The beginning was a little bit boring, but after reading a few more chapters I was obsessed with the novel. The outline of this plot was very well executed. Everything was planned out perfectly, and it was honestly getting better and better throughout the story. the characters were very original and I will definitely be reading this book again. Obviously will be giving this book a 5 out of 5.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I really wish I could be on the same page about Maas' writing! I have tried multiple times with her Throne of Glass and Court of Thorns and Roses series and I just can't get into them. I finished multiple books in the Throne of Glass series and only the first Court of Thorns and Roses and I find them so predictable, the characters so one dimensional, that I have given up on her! I was really hoping for a great fantasy series from Maas and I have been disappointed both times.
PriaMor99
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading: Throne of Glass
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priamor99.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by PriaMor99 »

A Court of Mist and Fury and ACOTAR are definitely one of the best books I've read. I like the way Sarah Maas describes things and the settings. I am IN LOVE with Rhys. He's such a dark, mysterious and likeable character! I can imagine how beautiful he is! Omg! I like how Feyre developed as a character. I can't waiting for the next book! So many hopes on it. Definitely want to see Feyre becoming the badass female she was born to be. Rhys+Feyre FOREVER! ❤️❤️❤️
Bookaholic_Love
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookaholic-love.html

Post by Bookaholic_Love »

Im currently trying to read this book, i have both but im in such a reading slump at the moment i cant seem to read.
I've heard so many good things about it too i just want to read it but I can never get past the first page (which already was interesting but i just ran out of steam.)
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

So I had the Throne of Glass series on my to read shelf for ages thinking it might be a bit too young for me....seriously I can't believe how wrong I was! I thought the first book may have been the youngest...but then the characters were young but then BOOM I was hit with this incredible story...So i dove straight in to the ACOTAR and i actually think ACOTAR is the better written, the better plot and I prefer it ....(I still love throne of glass). In Throne of Glass i sometimes rolled my eyes at how certain plans fell conveniently in to place suddenly (because Celaena or Rowan had already thought way ahead) whereas Feyre rolls with alot and thinks on her feet. Which I love. I also lost the change from Third person to First. It feels so intimate...though i feel I would have loved some from the male POVs!

But my god I love everything she writes....
Kayona Nicole
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayona-nicole.html

Post by Kayona Nicole »

I read A Court of Thorns and Roses and A court of Mist and Fury earlier this year and oh man. I could not get over ACOMAF! I enjoyed ACOTAR and it entertained me, earning it five stars on Goodreads, but ACOMAF sucked me right in and didn't let me go even after I finished it! It deserves endless stars. The character development, the world building, the introduction to new characters, and just everything about ACOMAF made it my #1 read of 2016. I read Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas but never continued on with the series, and not because I didn't want to but because I didn't have the time to commit to a whole new series that had four books out so far, so I decided to give it a rest. I picked up A Court of Thorns and Roses and didn't even realize it was by the same author and read it in the middle of April. When ACOMAF came out I had a strong desire to continue on with the series, and boy am I glad I did. No other book has ever made me feel the way that A Court of Mist and Fury did. I had the biggest book hangover I've ever had, and immediately after finishing it I opened it back up and reread some of my favorite parts. Then I went onto Tumblr and followed all the ACOTAR and ACOMAF dedicated blogs I could find. It has the highest rating for the amount of ratings it has that I've ever seen on Goodreads. ACOMAF is full of everything you could ever want in a book and I recommend to anyone who asks for book recs.
Suvarna
Currently Reading: Extreme Exposure
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Suvarna »

I am a big fan of fairy tale retellings. Naturally, once I heard that A Court of Thorns and Roses is a Beauty and the Beast retelling, I was intrigued. This book is one of the best Beauty and The Beast retellings that I have ever read. The “Beauty” in A Court of Thorns and Roses is not sweet or even very beautiful. The “Beast” is actually pretty kind and is only a beast when angered. I really enjoyed how the book is similar, yet so different from the original.
The writing was slow paced and intriguing (sometimes it was annoyingly slow). It is the perfect blend of action and these romances that break your heart.
I am yet to read A court of Mist and Fury. Cant Wait!!
In all, I would recommend this book to anyone who loves YA books!!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”