Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ellen may
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellen-may.html

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Post by ellen may »

A botched attempt to create the perfect human race means that men die at 25 and women die at 20. Young girls are been abducted and forced into polygamous marriages in a desperate bid to keep humanity ahead of the disease that that threatens to eradicate it. When Rhine is kidnapped, she is sold as a bride to Linden, a rich young man with a dying wife. But, even though he is kind to her, Rhine is desperate to escape her gilded cage - and Lindens cruel father.
If you are interested in this book, I advise you not to read a synopsis more detailed than the one I have given because it gives away something that doesn't happen until close to the end and I think it's better to go it to this book without knowing much. I really enjoyed this dystopian novel. I thought the story line was very interesting and thrilling and I found it quite an easy read as far as dystopias go. It wasn't your average revolution story that you tend to get from a YA dystopian these days and I really enjoyed that. However I found it quite slow-paced and not much happened until the end few chapters. As it was the first book in the trilogy I didn't mind that massively though because it was setting up the world, characters and giving a little background. Exciting things still happened, but it wasn't something fast-paced but more interesting instead which I did enjoy. I definitely recommend this book if you are looking for an easy and slightly different dystopian novel.
Sashia18
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Sashia18 »

I agree with everything you've stated here! The pace is a little slow through the middle of the novel, but I appreciated the character development it provided. It wasn't a book I would list as a top favorite of mine, but it was enjoyable. I haven't read the rest of the series yet, but if I get some time I wouldn't mind reading the rest.
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

I absolutely love this novel! I really enjoy novels about gender roles, and I really think a theme in this novel is the roles women have to take a dystopian world like the one in Wither. I agree that the pace definitely slows down in the middle, but the beginning and end are fantastic. I did not really care for the love triangle part; I really wanted the novel to focus on the protagonists journey and survival.

I've read the rest of the series, and I do like the trilogy as a whole, but the rest of the books never struck a cord with me the way that Wither did.
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

It's a classic dystopian saga about how men make decisions about women's bodies for them. Sad to say this story isnt so far-fetched. Ir reminds me of Eve by Anna Carey. I loved the book. There are many YA novels around this theme, but this is one of the best.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I haven't found many people who have read this series. I have the first and third one, but I have not been able to track down a hard cover of the second (I'm picky about my books). I enjoyed what I read of Wither, and with my current interest in posthumanity, this book (series) is PERFECT for research. It has an almost similar premise to Megan McCafferty's Bumped, although the similarity ends with how humanity got to such a point.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

I couldn't get into this series on the first try. Maybe I'll give it another chance with all the good buzz on this thread.
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”