Review of Tied to You

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Juris Ex Machina by John W. Maly
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Review of Tied to You

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tied to You" by Cassandra Crull.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kat Sells reflects on her life while sitting in her bedroom. Suddenly, she looks out the door and sees movement. There is a man from her past standing on the landing. The man looks confused. Carl, her husband, enters the room and walks through the man. He does not see the man. The next day, the man was still there, and Kat recognized who he was. Twenty years ago, Dave was her “cowboy crush” and first genuine love. In Tied To You, Cassandra Crull introduces Kat and her tumultuous life to the moment she sees Dave’s ghost in her home. What does Dave’s ghost want with Kat?

Kat was a self-described wild, loyal, brutally honest, broken person. She had moved to Serenity Springs after the death of her brother. She started a downward spiral by drinking and smoking marijuana every day. Dave asked her out on a date and their romance grew. Kat lost her virginity to Dave, but the next day, she broke up with him. She dates a boy from a different school. Evan introduces her to cocaine, and Kat sabotages every relationship she has. Dave suffers the ultimate blow from Kat. What did she do?

I fell in love with Dave’s character, and Kat evoked so much anger at how she treated him. The details of Kat’s emotions brought her inner turmoil into the story. The raw emotion coupled with her actions shows how her addiction became a coping mechanism. It was effortless to follow the timeline from the past to the present day. The personality of every person who interacted with Kat was well-developed too. This made Tied To You difficult to put down.

The sole problem I encountered with the book was the editing. While it was not overbearing to detract from my enjoyment of the novel, another round of editing would be beneficial. One error made me laugh somewhat from the picture I could see in my head: “His nose and mouse nestled into the crook of her neck.”

I am giving Tied To You three out of four stars. I deducted one star for the editing issue I mentioned. The engaging dialogue, realistic portrayal of high school hijinks, and excellent depiction of Kat’s emotions outweigh the negative.

I would recommend this book to young adults who enjoy a coming-of-age story with a touch of paranormal effect. I also believe this novel would be beneficial in demonstrating how drug and alcohol use isn’t an ineffective coping skill. There are some possible triggers that could affect potential readers. There are several situations involving sexual assault, drug use, alcohol abuse, and suicidal ideation included. The details of the physical acts are vague, but they intensely describe the emotional effects.

Tied to You
View: on Bookshelves
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
M debbie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by M debbie »

Thank you for being honest with the editing remark, however, I would still enjoy reading this thrilling story. Great review.
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

I’m really what Dave wants from Kay as a ghost. I guess I’ll read for myself and get the whole gist.😊
I enjoyed the review. Thank you.
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Juris Ex Machina by John W. Maly
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Edit_or wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 13:16 I’m really what Dave wants from Kay as a ghost. I guess I’ll read for myself and get the whole gist.😊
I enjoyed the review. Thank you.
Keep tissues nearby because there is a lot of momemnts where I cried on this one.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Ebele Ekelobi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

Young adults who enjoy a coming-of-age story with a touch of paranormal effect will most definitely enjoy this one. Great review.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

If it involves ghosts and a troubled teenager, I'm up for it. Especially since, as you say, the details of the sensitive topics are not that graphic. This book might even be a relatable and hopefully an inspiring story
for young people who are going through similar issues.
And I did laugh at the mouse quote, too. :D
I hope the author fixes the edition. Fantastic review!
Tonia Freeman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 756
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonia-freeman.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Tonia Freeman »

You know it’s a good book when it makes you feel something. Great review!
Cheryl Erickson
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

Your book review piqued my interest. I would like to know why Dave's ghost appears in Kat's life twenty years later. As Kat grew older, I hope that she was able to heal and find healthier coping mechanisms to deal with the trials of her life. Thank you for the insightful review. Congrats on the 100!!!
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

A story involving a ghost and abuses with Kat at the centre. It is not for me but sounds good. Thank you for the insightful review!
Kelebogile Moahloli
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Kelebogile Moahloli »

I loved reading this story its so entertaining that i now want to know more about each character especially Kat. It just needs a little bit of editing there and there.
Leasa Ana Maria
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Devil Pulls the Strings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leasa-ana-maria.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Leasa Ana Maria »

The story sounds intriguing. I didn't expect a ghost story. Thank you for the review.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

I do wonder if there's a bit of horror to this mystery. A ghost in one's home raises so many questions. You have already asked one - what does the ghost want? I'd love to read this book and search for the answers. Spectacular review.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

The ghost aspect of this book makes it sound horror-like and Kat sounds like a broken character, a character that has gone through a lot and a character one can get emotionally attached to, sabotaging her relationships and taking drugs, sounds like a lot, but this is a great review
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

This sounds scary without being too overwhelming. I wonder if the ghost just wants to find out if Kat is all right? I’ve noticed that authors write better novels if there is a bit of reality involved. Is that the case here?
Leonie Vermaak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 598
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

What an excellent review!!! I'm so intrigued now that I can't wait to read the book. The ghost part is what captured my attention, cause they never appear 'just because', there's alway a reason.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”