Review of Quest of the Staff and the Sword

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Lion of Camelot by Robert Murray
fav_author_id: 2484
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 33%

Review of Quest of the Staff and the Sword

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Quest of the Staff and the Sword" by T. K. Kohl.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After an earthquake exposes a building that seems hidden underground, a reputable archaeologist, Dr. Henry Jedidah, and his estranged daughter, Elizabeth, are employed to investigate the ancient site. As they embark on the mission, the man bankrolling the project, Luke Nachash, is overly interested in what they would find, so much so that it seems he already knows what it would be and is ready to kill for it.

When the Jedidahs and their team finally find artifacts in the mysterious building, Dr. Jedidah ignores warnings and goes after a magical sphere described in them. As a result of this move, and with Luke lurking around, all hell breaks loose. The Jedidahs must find the "appointed one" to stop the world's imminent doom before it's too late.

Quest of the Staff and the Sword by T. K. Kohl is an epic fantasy novel, and this one is the first installment in the series. The author uses the third-person point of view to tell this story, which helps readers to be aware of events happening simultaneously. The story begins with what seems like two separate storylines that eventually converge to bring the thrill readers would love. What I enjoyed most about the book was the aura of suspense this style produced because I kept anticipating the happenings that would ensue when the two separate groups of characters eventually meet.

Furthermore, I like the story's plot, and the mix of supernatural elements in the story would delight young adults. The characters are also unique and life-like, and through the events in the book, the author subtly presents some morals to learn from the characters' actions. The dialogues are also satisfactory, as they appear natural and help the reader to empathize with the characters. The characterization is commendable, and I like that the author provides backstories for the main characters. There are also bits of humor in the narrations that make the story more exciting to read.

Nevertheless, I didn't enjoy the author's writing style because it appeared choppy most of the time. For example, a passage from the book reads: "She walked to the cliff edge. She stared at the waterfall. She watched the sun fall below the horizon in the west. She looked at John. She lay back and fell asleep." Monotonous sentences like those took the life out of the writing and detracted from the flow of the story. Unfortunately, it is what I dislike most about the novel.

Another aspect of the book I didn't enjoy was how the author wasted time describing events that didn't add any value to the story. The story started with a fascinating vibe that I wish was maintained till the end. More so, the ending of the story was disappointing for me. Even though I expected a cliffhanger ending since this title is only the first in a series, the end was below my expectations. And I can't say much about that lest I spoil the book for you.

In conclusion, I am rating this book two out of four stars. The choppy writing style and uninspiring end are jointly responsible for the rating; however, the publication doesn't deserve anything lower, as it also has strong points in its favor. It is also professionally edited and contains only a few errors. I recommend the book to young adults who want to follow an epic fantasy story with a strong protagonist, especially if they don't mind reading about people dying gruesomely and finding profane words in books.

Quest of the Staff and the Sword
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mrs D O
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrs-d-o.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Mrs D O »

The choppy writing style and uninspiring end are jointly responsible for the rating; however, the publication doesn't deserve anything lower, as it also has strong points in its favor.
You've justified your rating very clearly. It's a shame the book's appeal is reduced by the problems you have explained, as the story line seemed to have good potential. Thanks for your well considered review Saint Bruno, I admire how you have expressed your opinion.
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Lion of Camelot by Robert Murray
fav_author_id: 2484
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Saint Bruno »

Mrs D O wrote: 05 Aug 2022, 20:45
The choppy writing style and uninspiring end are jointly responsible for the rating; however, the publication doesn't deserve anything lower, as it also has strong points in its favor.
You've justified your rating very clearly. It's a shame the book's appeal is reduced by the problems you have explained, as the story line seemed to have good potential. Thanks for your well considered review Saint Bruno, I admire how you have expressed your opinion.
I really do appreciate your comment. Thank you for stopping by.
readinginahammock
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd edition
Bookshelf Size: 21
2022 Reading Goal: 83
2022 Goal Completion: 12%

Post by readinginahammock »

It still sounds like a decent story despite all the negatives you mentioned.
OTrain M
Currently Reading: The Dog of Saint Petersburg
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-m.html
Latest Review: A Full Quiver by D A Callahan
2022 Reading Goal: 70
2022 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by OTrain M »

Whoa! I would doze off from such choppy sentences. Epic fantasy distinguishes itself in that it is about the complicated sentences.
diana lowery
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Shadows of Pecan Hollow
Bookshelf Size: 249
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Awakening by Michael Trudeau
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 62%

Post by diana lowery »

Oh My - those monotonous sentences would have gotten to me as well. I appreciate your honesty.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 225
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: A Witch Is Born by Phillip Martin

Post by Prisallen »

I hope the author takes your criticisms constructively and fixes the problem areas. Those monotonous sentences would definitely have bothered me as well. Thanks for an honest and well-written review!
Ruthwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthwriter.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Ruthwriter »

Books about research sound great to me. I believe the writer has something great to pass on to the reader. good review.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

There are alot of insights in this book that every reader should go for. I love your creative writing, it is top-notch. Fantastic review.
Chinemezu Okafor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: The Insect House by Shirley Day

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

The fact that this book got a low rating from you has discouraged me from checking it out. Thank you for your review by the way.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”