Official Review: The Freeze by Adam Scopp

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Official Review: The Freeze by Adam Scopp

Post by Skillian »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Freeze" by Adam Scopp.]
Book Cover for 2613
Share This Review

Adam Scopp is the 14-year-old self-published author of “The Tempus Weather Series.” “The Freeze” is the first in this series of Young Adult fiction. Adam is from London, and is still in school. He recently tweeted “I have so many exams this week...my head is going to fall off :'(” I definitely remember those days! However, I wasn't nearly as brave. He is ambitious and writes as an outlet to express his ideas. He lives with his family, two brothers, one sister, and his father. Sadly, his mother passed away in 2012 (cancer). He is an inspiration who found inspiration in his mother, and so the book is dedicated accordingly.

As “The Freeze” begins we are thrust right into action, "Dr Morris - it's time to make history." The story starts off running and we are captivated by plot. The Tempus Project consists of a group of scientists who have invented a mechanism to control the weather on a global scale. Things are looking up, right until they all go wrong. We are also introduced to a group of teenagers who accidentally find themselves caught up in the middle of it all. It doesn't end there. There are twists and side effects which are unforeseen.

I love the idea of the story, and he does a great job of keeping it fast paced. He also does a good job portraying the usual thought processes of teenagers. He might have an advantage there. There is romance interwoven with the action, and the perspective switches regularly but in such a way I didn't find it confusing or detrimental to flow. There is a lot of dialogue, a back and forth bantering between the teenagers, which I see as pretty relative to how teenagers would behave, but if it isn't your preference it can be a little exhaustive.

I will admit there were a few cliché scenes, but they were guilty pleasures. A shower scene here, a snuggling for warmth scene there, but it still went along with the plot of the story. The book is entertaining and what I would call an 'easy reading' book which is great for just passing the time. It is for a younger audience, so someone within that age range would probably enjoy it even more.

Overall, I give it a rating of 2 out of 4. I wish there was more description/break-down in the action sequences. It was fun, but didn't really leave me with anything to ponder on. I'd recommend it to anyone looking to kill time with something that is light and enjoyable. For a Young Adult I felt it fit the genre perfectly, any concerns with grammar or spelling were few enough that it didn't hinder flow. It is a short read ending on page 105, and skates right into the next book in the series “The Heat” which is also now available.

Buy "The Freeze" on Amazon
Buy "The Freeze" on Barnes and Noble
I love LOVE. <3
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for the well-written review. I passed up the opportunity to read/review this book a few weeks ago in favor of another title that grabbed my attention. It's nice to read a review of it, to see what I missed. It does look like a fun, light read.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Thank you for another great review. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Skillian

Post by Skillian »

Thanks for the compliments!
I love LOVE. <3
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Thanks for the great review! This actually sounds like something I would adore. And I love to see young people writing books! It makes me so happy!
Skillian

Post by Skillian »

ALynnPowers wrote:Thanks for the great review! This actually sounds like something I would adore. And I love to see young people writing books! It makes me so happy!

Me too! The author has such a great story and is extremely likable (from what I read up about him). I would say I hope he keeps it up... but by the looks of it... he already plans to! haha. Very awesome.
I love LOVE. <3
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Nice review! Thanks for your honesty and candidness with what you liked and didn't like. Good details, which is what a good review should include (without spoilers, of course!).
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Skillian wrote:
ALynnPowers wrote:Thanks for the great review! This actually sounds like something I would adore. And I love to see young people writing books! It makes me so happy!

Me too! The author has such a great story and is extremely likable (from what I read up about him). I would say I hope he keeps it up... but by the looks of it... he already plans to! haha. Very awesome.
the stuff that I wrote when I was fourteen.... embarrassing. This is so much better, I can the,l just from the summary. He will go places, i predict.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

A 14-year old boy who writes books between exams must be brilliant. Today is three years later, so he must be a best-selling author by now!
Skillian

Post by Skillian »

Miriam Molina wrote:A 14-year old boy who writes books between exams must be brilliant. Today is three years later, so he must be a best-selling author by now!

Oh I do hope so! I looked on Amazon and the latest work I found by him was 2015. I hope it is because he is off working on an amazing book. <3
I love LOVE. <3
T_Elizabeth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by T_Elizabeth »

It would be interesting to see how a reader of the same age as the author would rate this book. I believe it could be beneficial for other teens to see how this young boy's thoughts became a published book read by many people. So, even though it sounds like the book may have a few issues, the positive influence it could provide makes it worthy enough for me to look into reading it. Thanks for providing a review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”