Review of The Fisherman and his Foundlings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nino Chinonso Onwurah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nino-chinonso-onwurah.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Review of The Fisherman and his Foundlings

Post by Nino Chinonso Onwurah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Fisherman and his Foundlings" by Phillip Leighton-Daly.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Oh my God! This is possibly the shortest yet most emotive story you will ever read. Phillip Leighton-Daly created an absolute masterpiece with this book, The Fisherman and his Foundlings. I rate the book four out of four.

The story is about an old fisherman who lived alone on a coastline. His wife had died of leprosy while nursing at the leper colony. However, for the previous ten years since he lost his wife, he had kept talking to her sometimes as if she were still there. Whenever he thought about his wife, he contemplated the cruelty of life. However, his thoughts were mostly pleasant—he derived tremendous pleasure and fulfillment from his charity to lepers and orphans. To take fish to the leper colony and the orphanage, he journeyed for almost a day along a dangerous road often frequented by murderous bushrangers. Would he fall victim to these bushrangers one day? 

Moreover, when a merchild showed some care for the old fisherman, she was brutalized by the merfolk queen, who abhors any act of kindness. She believed that kindness was a weakness. On seeing the injured merchild, the old fisherman took her into his home and cared for her. On account of this, the merfolk queen was filled with disdain for the old fisherman and sought to slay him. Could the old fisherman escape the snares of this blood monger? And as the merchild cannot survive the heat of the orphanage, what would become of her if the old fisherman died? 

I loved that the author encouraged us to realize that life can be cruel sometimes. We are bound to experience losses in one way or another, and we may have no control over them. However, he expressed that our lives can also be pleasant if we choose. Therefore, we are to persevere in actions that incite true happiness. Through this book, he demonstrated that love is the greatest of these actions. A charitable man is a happy man. The author cautioned against the pursuit of wealth, power, and beauty as the yardsticks by which meaningful life is measured. 

The author’s descriptive prowess was phenomenal; the plot and the settings will play in your mind like a movie. Despite this, almost every event was illustrated in the book. However, I gave this book the highest rating due to the ending. I would give more if it were possible. I'm certain I would think about the ending for days—it was the most remarkable thing I've read in a while. 

This book was perfect; there was nothing to dislike about it. The sentences were accurate. It was exceptionally well-edited.

This book is suitable for children; they will learn about the things that matter in life at an early age. Moreover, it is also recommended for adults who seek a meaningful and fulfilled life.

The Fisherman and his Foundlings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mildred Echesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-echesa.html
Latest Review: Catch A Raven by Kirro Burrows

Post by Mildred Echesa »

Wow, the kindness of the fisherman is just overwhelming. Am really in awe over the loss of his wife but at the same time glad that he is very kind.
Poetic Justice
Ozioma Miriam
Currently Reading: The Love Charm
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ozioma-miriam.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Ozioma Miriam »

Interesting! This sounds like a book I would enjoy reading. Thanks for a compelling review.
Amarachi Nwankwo03
Currently Reading: Summer Showers
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amarachinwankwo.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Amarachi Nwankwo03 »

What a deeply emotional story. It is great that the fisherman was still able to show such levels of kindness regardless of all he had been through. I believe good always defeats evil. Thank you for your review.
Christabel Egbeama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-egbeama.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B09KBSDRDG

Post by Christabel Egbeama »

I love the book already. From the review, I can tell that the book is packed with morals. I'm adding this to my reading list.
Joan Ifeoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Joan Ifeoma »

I can't wait to get my hands on this book. I was so compelled when you said this is the shortest yet the most passionate story I might ever read. This is a brilliant review.
Oluwapelumi Rachael
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwapelumi-rachael.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluwapelumi Rachael »

Kindness is the greatest virtue, i love that despite their situations, the merchild and fisherman were kind to one another.
Elijah0007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elijah0007.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Elijah0007 »

I'm all for personal transformation, so any book that can emotively impact me in some way is fine by me. From your enthusiasm, I could tell this is indeed a good book.
Ebi Robert
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebi-robert.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Ebi Robert »

Well, Fisherman brings to mind the book, "The Old man and the Sea". But this one is different. Mermaid? Well that's what imagination can bring. From the reviewer's words, this book will be interesting. I look forward to see it.
ikechukwuamarachi+55
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwuamarachi-55.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by ikechukwuamarachi+55 »

After reading your review, I was emotional. I like the fact that the fisherman didn't give up on life and lent helping hands to others. It was as If he continued from the place his wife stopped. Nice review.
Anastaciachy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Anastaciachy »

I'm always intrigued by stories that involve supernatural beings. Seems an unfair challenge to human beings, but the fight is all to hope for. Interesting book; powerful review.
praisechiagoziem

Post by praisechiagoziem »

Wow! I'm flabbergasted that this old man lost his wife and still maintained an interest in charity. It would be interesting to read this book.
Ike oluchukwu happiness

Post by Ike oluchukwu happiness »

Your review is so compelling. There is no way anyone who reads it won't be induced to read this book. The plot seems so rich in kindness, thrill, and suspense.
Ugwu jennifer

Post by Ugwu jennifer »

I was touched when you said that the old man still talked to his deceased wife as if she were still there. Loss can change us forever.
Gideon Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideon-olomofe.html
Latest Review: An autopsy with a smile by Snejana Danwell

Post by Gideon Olomofe »

The book sounds so touching because of the account of the old fisherman. Probably I'll have a great time reading it. Thanks for your recommendations.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”