Katniss Everdeen or Tris Prior

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
manatee glasses
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 659">don't call me ishmael</a>
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manatee-glasses.html

Re: Katniss Everdeen or Tris Prior

Post by manatee glasses »

This is a really tough decision to make: Katniss Everdeen or Tris Prior? Both are well written female protagonists and strong in their own way. However, I think I can identify more with Tris Prior. Some of us have that brother (or two) that we love but can find ourselves being dragged into a troubling situation because of them. I also like how Tris can be brave and stand up for another to be selfless and how she loves her family with a burning passion. Even though I can't fully related to Tris, I really like how she's willing to trade her life to save the lives of strangers.
emilythebooklover00
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilythebooklover00.html

Post by emilythebooklover00 »

Katniss, no doubt for me. Tris is definitely one of my top characters, but she was never challenged in the way that Katniss was. Tris always had Four, and yes she lost her family and was obviously brave and independent, but she always had SOMEONE. And there's a big difference between nobody and 1 person. Ultimately Katniss lost everyone. Gale left when things got rough to live his own life, Peeta was tortured and made to hate her, and even though he recovered somewhat, I'd say she definitely lost him, for a little while at least, she lost Finnick, the friend she grew to love and then finally to top it off, she lost Primm, the sister she did everything for. And even though she struggled with the thought of life after it all, in the end she found a way to cope and live day by day. Does anything else represent strength? I don't think so.
VFitz
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vfitz.html

Post by VFitz »

I would have to say Tris with a few caveats. I loved her in Divergent, but found her less relateable as the series went on. Katniss always seems like a strong character to me whereas Tris started out at the bottom of the pack and had to work hard to prove herself in character and strength. I really enjoyed her character development in Divergent.
livreads
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreads.html

Post by livreads »

Personally, I liked Katniss better than Tris because I related to her more that she was willing to sacrifice so much for the ones she loved, and The Hunger Games was one of the first series I read that I really enjoyed. I also didn't enjoy some of Tris' decisions as the series went on and to me she started to get a little selfish and cocky.
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

Katniss is the character that I most relate to. Even if I couldn't relate to her, I find her to be more likeable. Both are good characters though! Love The Hunger Games!
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Sophi57
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophi57.html

Post by Sophi57 »

Tris for sure in the end she sacrificed herself for her beliefs. She was also amazingly written and amazingly developed. As a strong character that sometimes needed help but could also help herself.
TamSan
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamsan.html

Post by TamSan »

I'd have to say Katniss. She gave her life ( or thought she was going to) to save her sister. Where Tris just seemed to be all about herself. Don't misunderstand me, I know Tris eventually gave her life to save everyone, But the initial choices. I love both series. But Katniss as more real to me.
Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the Universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. -Max Ehermann
bellesmom
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellesmom.html

Post by bellesmom »

I think I preferred Katniss, but enjoyed both characters. I think the only reason I enjoyed her more is because I prefer the Hunger Games more than the Divergent Series. I think after the first book in the Divergent series, the remainder went down hill. I did like the character development for Tris better.
Loren-KoCam

Post by Loren-KoCam »

This is a hard choice since I love them both! The Hunger Games and Divergent are some of my favorite series and the main female characters in each one are inspiring for me in different ways. I would have to say I relate more to Tris because she's still finding her path in life, discovering who she really is and who she wants to be. Katniss on the other hand is more of a hero to me, she's very brave and selfless, she knows exactly who she is and what her goals are.
karenistah
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
Bookshelf Size: 26
Publishing Contest Votes: 1

Post by karenistah »

For me, it's KATNISS EVERDEEN. At first, she kinda doesn't know he inner self, but when she's in the games, her inner self came out. She's a brave girl and she has analytical skills that make her into the games together with Peeta. :)
KacieLW
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kacielw.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by KacieLW »

I prefer Katniss over Tris. I think found myself a little frustrated when reading the divergent trilogy because Tris had to always play the hero and she was too stubborn. I still liked her character but I much prefer Katniss.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

I have to say Katniss :) Although I wasn't really engaged with the writing style of the Hunger Games series, I definitely liked the characters better. I really loved the first book of Divergent, but Tris and Four's characters kind of got worse as the series progressed and I ended up not enjoying Insurgent or Allegiant. On the other hand, I feel like Katniss really grew up and developed, so between Tris and Katniss, I would choose the latter.
KayMc94
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by KayMc94 »

Tris Prior 100%

I understand and appreciate everything Katniss did to save the people she loved and to make life a little bit easier, but it just wasn't enough.

Veronica Roth did an amazing job at introducing and developing each of her characters. Instead of starting out strong and independent, Tris was an ordinary girl living an ordinary life (as ordinary as it could be in her situation). Then throughout the book, she experienced struggles and hardships that normal everyday people experience. She thrived and made each effort to succeed her own and gave all readers that sense of hope and accomplishment as if they succeeded as well.

She is truly a hero.
MerryLove
Currently Reading: A Court of Wings and Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merrylove.html
Latest Review: "Coppers Journey" by Julius Green
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MerryLove »

There were different parts of both that I liked.

Katniss is a quick witted, strong character that does what she has to survive. She's a very relatable character that I could connect to.

Tris, on the other hand, is such an admirable character. Her sacrifice in the last book in particular is something I am not selfless enough of a person to do myself, so I really admire her for that trait of selflessness to a degree that so many lack.

So, I would say I relate most to Katniss, but I admire Tris the most.
Latest Review: "Coppers Journey" by Julius Green
RtheReaderheart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rthereaderheart.html

Post by RtheReaderheart »

They are both amazing honestly cant pick which one i loved more

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”