Katniss Everdeen or Tris Prior

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookishCoffeeBlog
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Re: Katniss Everdeen or Tris Prior

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog »

I am definitely on team Katniss. She is a character who has gone through so much and is still able to think of others and save her loved ones. Of course, I also loved her connection with Peeta. They are definitely one of my favorite relationships in the literary world.

I appreciate Tris for her strength in the decisions she makes and her understanding of who she is. She is an incredibly strong character who fights for what she believes in. There are so many similarities between these two characters. Overall I love them both and both of these book series.
Natalie_Taylor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-taylor.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Natalie_Taylor »

Tris copped out. Katniss was better written, in terms of living through traumas and recognizing actual flaws.
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

Tris connected to me more because she was a girl who was lost and felt like she didn’t belong, but despite all that was strong and learnt how to we comfortable being herself. Although I do love Katniss sometimes her confusion with the love triangle between Peeta and Gale used to frustrate me at times because I sometimes think she used whoever was there for comfort.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

Katniss Everdeen. Both Tris and Katniss are strong female protagonists, but katniss is my favorite.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

I prefer Katniss over Tris. Katniss was something of a unique and new character that went against the current and really stood out. I felt that Tris was sort of based off of her in a way and I'm seeing a lot of new YA book heroines that mimic Katniss's behaviour.
ashtonf
Currently Reading: The Young Elites
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by ashtonf »

I have to say Katniss. Katniss just seemed more relatable than Tris. Tris was a really weird character in my opinion, and I couldn't really find any connection with her.
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

Katniss Everdeen all the way! I greatly disliked Tris as a character. Her motivations were aimless and confusing, she only did things to propel the plot of the book forward.
~Roxie~
Brandt
Currently Reading: Under the Dome
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandt.html
Latest Review: Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston

Post by Brandt »

This is so hard but I have to go with Katniss. The Divergent books, in my opinion, ended up not being too great overall especially for Tris' character, but Katniss stayed pretty consistent in terms of being just such an awesome and fleshed out character. She had such strong development and I loved to follow her journey.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

Bettercallyourbookie wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 21:58 Tris copped out. Katniss was better written, in terms of living through traumas and recognizing actual flaws.
This!!! I agree 1000%.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I love Katniss as a character and prefer her in that sense over Tris, but I definitely can relate more to Tris. Katniss plans more and is smart, and does not let her emotions overcome her. Tris is more reckless, but also seems more human. I can relate to the helplessness she feels often.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Madison7b
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Madison7b »

Definitely Tris Prior. She was portrayed time and time again in a manor the showed that she is selfless, strong, trustworthy, and an all around powerful woman. She was a great model for a strong female lead character.
Madhatter4399
Currently Reading: Life in a Box
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Madhatter4399 »

I’d have to pick Tris, but only in the first book. She reached her peak of awesome and then I started to really not like her character. So other than in Divergent I’d have to pick Katniss.
ShannonNinja
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 54

Post by ShannonNinja »

aclark02 wrote: 07 Nov 2014, 02:49 I would have to go with Katniss, mostly because she isn't reckless without cause. This bugged me about Tris, particularly in Insurgent. Katniss is brave and compassionate without being oblivious to consequence in my opinion.
I agree with you. While Tris is a strong female character she is reckless just for the sake for being reckless. Katniss is very calculated with her recklessness.
Kikijanika
Currently Reading: War Storm
Bookshelf Size: 760
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kikijanika.html
Latest Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by Kikijanika »

I love them both! These two series were among the very first ya series I read so they have sentimental value. I think I mist say Katniss because she was the first ya heroine I loved but Tris comes close behind!
lildorsey
Currently Reading: Absolutely Organize Your Family
Bookshelf Size: 1584

Post by lildorsey »

This is definitely a tough one. I really do like both of their characters. And I think my response would be the opposite if you were asking about the movie versions of their characters. But based on the books, I think I would lean towards Katniss because I appreciated her level of maturity. While I think Tris also had to be mature in many ways, and I think she is easy to relate to emotionally (as others have stated), her relationships with others seemed to display a more immature nature. Katniss is a very powerful character who had to rely on herself a lot and manage a lot of difficult relationships.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”