Review of Perfection and Other Illusive Things

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Review of Perfection and Other Illusive Things

Post by Tarie07 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Perfection and Other Illusive Things" by J Mercer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Being a teenager is one of the most difficult times most of us go through in our lives. Trying to be perfect and living according to other people's expectations instead of our own. The same could be said for Eden, a young teenager in her senior year who is going through the motions in Perfection and Other Illusive Things by J. Mercer. One day she woke up looking, or maybe feeling like she has always wanted. All of a sudden she has the confidence to talk to Hawk, her crush. Eden starts to hang out with Hawk and his friends. Her behavior changes. She no longer feels the need to hang around her old circle of friends because they are "uptight" or even listen to what her mother has to say. This causes a rift between her and her family. It also drives a wedge between her and and her best friend. Will her grades also suffer from this new personality she has embodied? Will her other relationships ever recover, or will she choose Hawk over everyone else for good?

Perfection and Other Illusive Things was a perfect fit for the storyline. The author did a great job at choosing a title. Mercer's character development was what kept me hooked. The characters were developed in such a way that made them real and relatable. Eden was full of insecurities about the way she looked, which is how most teenagers feel. She gave the impression she was proud of herself when deep down all she wanted was to look like someone else. I loved how confident her new form was, even though some could say she was arrogant. I liked Eden's relationship with her mother. They had an open relationship and she was free to talk to her mother about anything. That is how relationships should be between parents and children. Parents should be more involved in their children's lives. I liked Hawk's character. He seemed like a misfit who is full of mischief. However, in reality, he was actually a good person. Eden's best friend always saw him as a nobody with no future, but he was a brilliant poem-writer who did not do so bad in school either. I loved and enjoyed his poems.

I loved how this book contained beneficial lessons to teenagers and high school students. They often put too much pressure on themselves, focusing on their imperfections forgetting that nobody is perfect. Sometimes we feel like people think we are not perfect when nobody else is focusing on our imperfections but us. I also loved how Mercer showed that not being a fan of partying and going out all the time does not necessarily mean you are lame or you do not have fun. You do not have to be pressurized into being a party-person all in the name of fitting in. I also enjoyed the few pages included of the other books written by J. Mercer. It left me wanting to see more work done by the author.

The book was exceptionally edited. There were no grammatical or typographical errors. The pace was even throughout the read. I enjoyed the numerous lessons the characters brought out. It also taught me a few things about my insecurities. The vocabulary was not too heavy but still portrayed professionalism. There was nothing to dislike about this book. Perfection and Other Illusive Things deserves nothing less than 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to lovers of the young adult genre. I also recommend it to teenagers who are still trying to find themselves and those who feel insecure about themselves. Eden's character could teach them a thing or two. There is profanity throughout the book and erotic content which make it suitable for a mature audience. Readers of all religious beliefs are welcome to try. Lovers of romance should also try the book.

Perfection and Other Illusive Things
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

Israel10 wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 18:58 This was quite a thoughtful venture by the author for the benefit of potential readers. Great review.
Thank you for stopping by.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”