Panic

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ela_regan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Panic

Post by Ela_regan »

Thrilling, unpredictable, and full of secrets, Panic was a fantastic YA read. I really enjoyed reading this fantastic book. Absolutely wonderful!

Panic was a game that came about from a group of bored teenagers. And, from there, it became a dangerous tradition that resulted in injuries and deaths. Every summer, the recent high school graduates complete in a series of challenges. Over the 4 years of high school, every student would contribute money to create the winning prize amount. The seniors would go through dangerous tasks, each eliminating more and more players, until the winner was chosen to win the money. All the while, two anonymous judges set the challenges and chose the winners. The whole situation that Lauren Oliver created was flawless. I could imagine that sort of thing happening in a small town full of bored teenagers. It was flawlessly built into a thrilling game that had me on the edge of my seat.

The story is told through the main characters, Heather and Dodge, in alternating perspectives, so I'll focus on the narrators first.
Heather was a tough chick. She didn't have the best situation at home and she wanted to win the money so that she could take care of her sister and get her away from her neglectful mother. She was strong, determined, and extremely dedicated to caring for her loved ones. I really liked her. She was definitely a worthy heroine.

Dodge was a little sketchy at first. He wanted to win Panic as a means for revenge and he was quite ruthless about it at first. But, then his priorities shifted and it no longer became about winning, but about making sure he and his friends survived the games. I liked him. He was sweet and loyal to those he cared about. And he proved himself as a worthy character with what he did at the enD.
mrsallen7114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsallen7114.html

Post by mrsallen7114 »

I'll have to add this to my 'to read' list -- I admit, I still enjoy YA books.
tcantera

Post by tcantera »

This book was intense I couldn't put it down. When I thought I knew what would happen next I was proven wrong. I thought it was a good book but felt the ending was ehh. I felt it could have had more. But overall I gave it 3 stars
hpsecrets99
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Jurassic Park
Currently Reading: The Spectacular Now
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hpsecrets99.html
Latest Review: "Suppliant" by Laura Tree
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by hpsecrets99 »

I literally just finished this book a few minutes ago. I really liked it, and I liked the concept of the game, but I wasn't blown away by the ending. With all the build-up, I thought something big was going to happen, but no dice. 4 out of 5 stars.
Latest Review: "Suppliant" by Laura Tree
Mickaila
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: The Iliad
Currently Reading: Most Evil by Michael Stone
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mickaila.html
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Mickaila »

mrsallen7114 wrote:I'll have to add this to my 'to read' list -- I admit, I still enjoy YA books.
Same here! I'm adding it too!
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
Noeld
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noeld.html

Post by Noeld »

I didn't think that I wanted to read this book, but I obviously didn't look at the synopsis well enough. This looks like just my type of book and I can't wait to read it!
Jfoust1988
Currently Reading: The Vampire Secret
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfoust1988.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Jfoust1988 »

I liked this book. It was at least 3 out of 4 stars. I did feel the ending was anticilmatic.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”