Asylum by Madeleine Roux

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Asylum by Madeleine Roux

Post by barb429 »

I found myself comparing this book to Miss Peregrine's too. While I did not hate Asylum, I just did not love it the way I did the other.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

There are definitely some parallels between Asylum and Miss Peregrine's, especially the creepy photographs. However, I still think they tell different stories and the writing styles, if memory serves, are different as well. I picked up Asylum BECAUSE of the similar eerie photos as Miss Peregrine's and I definitely don't regret it! While it is true that I rolled my eyes at certain times and Miss Peregrine's is better, in my opinion, I still quite enjoyed it.
My weekend is all booked!
Marinemom2014
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Marinemom2014 »

I found Asylum to be somewhat boring in the beginning but once the thrills started, I really enjoyed it. It was confusing at times and I did find myself having to go back to get a reference. I have so far enjoyed the sequel to this book. I also really liked the creepy photos.
queeennnkatie
Currently Reading: Bared to You
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queeennnkatie.html

Post by queeennnkatie »

I agree with your review, I totally wanted the creep factor to be notched up a lot! I just started reading this series about a week ago and I'm on the 3rd book already. My school library just got the newest one so I thought I should read the series. I would've given it a 4/5 as well. Sometimes the way the author worded things or the pictures kinda made me wanna put down the book and stop reading, but I was hooked, and now a days, it's hard for me to get hooked in a book. Anyway, I totally enjoyed reading this book and it did give me goosebumps at times however I really wanted to have that feeling of 'now I can't go to bed' ya know?
zero_macabre
Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zero-macabre.html
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Post by zero_macabre »

Been wanting to check this book out for a loooonnngg time. Thank you for providing this informative review! I can't wait to get my hands on the book now!
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller
priyankasinghania

Post by priyankasinghania »

Hi my name is priyanka singhania. I am an independent girl in Delhi. I like to offer you good services.
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 »

Dan is a 16 year old history brainiac that has learned to keep to himself. New Hampshire College has a prep program over the summer that will help him learn a little more but also hopefully open some doors to make new friends. Sounds great, right? Catch is the dorms used to be an old sanatorium, also known as an asylum, named Brookline. There were horrible experiments performed on the inhabitants and all the patients were the criminally insane. While there he makes two new friends but also realizes he has more in common with the building than he ever knew possible. He is somehow linked to the miserable past of this building, but how?

Asylum is not my usual read. It was a bit creepy with a barely-there love story. I'm hoping this evolves a little more in the second book Sanctum. This book was an easy read. It is all from first person point of view. Some ideas were hard to follow but it was interesting. It didn't seem to have a very complicated plot, pretty simple. I am not attached to this book. I don't feel the need to rush out and get the second book. I'll probably just wait for it to come available at the library. The ending was interesting and not what I expected. Anyone who has read this book, who do you think the mysterious note writer is??
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I have heard of this one but never given it a shot. I think after reading this review I may actually read it. I like that the original poster stated it is reminiscent of R.L. Stine, I used to love reading those books and could use a good, creepy, horror type read.
MagicToDo930
Currently Reading: The Witchfinder's Sister
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magictodo930.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MagicToDo930 »

I'm about to begin reading this book. My local library site suggested it since I read Miss Peregrine. I just put the second book of the series on hold now. Looking forward to reading it.

-- 08 Dec 2016, 01:16 --

I just finished this book and absolutely loved it!! My copy of the second book just came in from the library and I already can't wait to start that one as well. I can see the similarities with Miss Peregrine and as much as I loved those books, I got through this one easier. It held my attention from the beginning to the end. And the plot twist...never saw that coming.
MagicToDo930
Currently Reading: The Witchfinder's Sister
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magictodo930.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MagicToDo930 »

I loved Asylum, even more than the Miss Peregrine series, which surprised me. So I couldn't wait to read the sequel, Sanctum. Well, I just finished it and I didn't like it as much. Most of it seemed to drag on and I felt a lot was still left unsolved. There were chapters that didn't need to be included and the book would've been better without. I have the third one coming from the library and hope it's better.
Kailani_Fox
Currently Reading: The Navigator II
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kailani-fox.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Post by Kailani_Fox »

I was also left wanting more in regards to the horror and weirdness of the plot line. There were moments that left me holding my breath, but nothing followed after, which was a slight disappointment. Roux did a wonderful job otherwise, as Asylum kept me hooked until the very last page.
BookishCoffeeBlog
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog »

I have read a lot of horror and thriller novels and none of them have had an effect on me like Asylum did. I was genuinely scared while reading it. I definitely had a spike in my heart rate! Has anyone read another book that made them feel this way? I have not read the other books in the series and I can't decide if I will. Has anyone else?
SarahBB

Post by SarahBB »

This was a great book, I felt like it added on to the previous book and its storyline, very exciting, suspenseful, and fun to read. I happily recommend it, please enjoy!!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”