Review of The Kingdoms of Felspar

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of The Kingdoms of Felspar

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Kingdoms of Felspar" by MJ Spires.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Throughout the kingdoms of Felspar, the people are divided in their opinions about dragons; some worship the mighty beasts, while others choose to slay them for the valuable prizes they are. Still, all agree that those who dabble in dragon blood experiments are cursed and deserve the painful death caused by consuming the formidable blood. Yet, the lust for dragon power among the rulers of Felspar has brought about a new bloodline. Individuals born with the blood of dragons are believed to be as cursed as the dragon half-bloods, but is wielding the power of a dragon truly a curse? Could peace between dragons and humans be brought about from those born of the dragon bloodline, or will the humans destroy each other before the mighty beasts can finish the job themselves? Find out in The Kingdoms of Felspar: The Curse of the Dragon Bloodline by M. J. Spires.

It’s hard to think of anything I disliked about this fantastic young adult novel. Spires took this reader on an exhilarating adventure, a quest to unite the kingdoms that remained fresh, fast-paced, and dynamic from start to finish. I loved the well-developed characters and appreciated the depth of their heritage and ongoing stories. Spires incorporated the extended family of the heroine, a young bloodborne named Storrm, into her progression towards her destiny, making this trope feel new and exciting. As I read, I grew fondly attached to Storrm and her parents and appreciated that she was not another orphan out to save the world all on her own. Readers will enjoy the well-developed relationships and the depth of emotions that profoundly impact each favorite character as they triumph and suffer in equal portions throughout the novel.

I also loved the different factions throughout the kingdoms. Strong motives supported the varying beliefs, and the author used two converging plotlines to help the reader understand why the different opinions separated the people of the realms. It was exciting to discover the source of the war between the humans and dragons, and I loved how informative this story was without becoming dry and dull. The author successfully laid out the key players, completed the first arc of the series, and ended the tale with an intriguing conclusion that made me eager to dive into the next installment.

While I found a few minor errors, the book seemed to be professionally edited. I enjoyed every part of this well-written novel, so I give The Kingdoms of Felspar four out of four stars. I look forward to reading future novels in the series and hope that the wait for the sequel is not too long!

I’d highly recommend this novel to readers who love dragon lore, magic, and warring kingdoms. Fans of Dungeons and Dragons would also enjoy this book as the author acknowledges that several characters came from a D&D campaign. Minor swearing infrequently exists throughout the book, and there is no erotic content.

The Kingdoms of Felspar
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Reminds me of the movie Game of Thrones. This should be exciting. Thank you for your review.
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

The review is amazing, creates passion and desire to unravel the ending to humans , dragons and human- dragons solve their conflict? What happened that we have human-dragons proven by blood? To solve these and other mysteries, it's a read.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

I actually think it is cool to have powers, as long as no one is dying or causing havoc with it. Nice story and review.
Akangbe Opeyemi
Favorite Book: Qualify
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akangbe-opeyemi.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Akangbe Opeyemi »

I love reading books about dragons, it reminds me of their possible existence a long time ago. This story sounds interesting, different people having their beliefs about the dragons and the thirst for power for some. Great review
Xavier Francis
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Xavier Francis »

It's quite a good book to read.
Irrespective one having powers it's quite good but thy question would be how are thy using there powers?
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

I don't like books on war and kingdoms. Thanks for the review
Sharon Christanto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-christanto.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD
Reading Device: B09N3YBXCN

Post by Sharon Christanto »

The cover is very eye-catching! And I think the world-building is great. I'll purchase this book soon! Thanks for the amazing review

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”