Review of Elizabeth's Garden

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Review of Elizabeth's Garden

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Elizabeth's Garden" by Phillip Leighton-Daly.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are certain people and events that make an indelible impression on our souls. The narrator for Elizabeth’s Garden recalls such a person in his friend Elizabeth Davies, a brave and self-sacrificing young woman who brought a better life to others despite her own difficulties.

This brief work of historical fiction by Phillip Leighton-Daly details events occurring in New South Wales in the early 1800s. At the beginning of the story, Elizabeth and her parents are making their way to church on Bar Island, a patch of land formed where the two arms of the Hawkesbury River converge. Elizabeth’s father is killed by pirates and the narrator’s father, a reverend at the mission, extends the offer for Elizabeth and her mother to live with his family.

Elizabeth and the narrator form a strong friendship. They work together to rescue women and children kidnapped and abused by the brutal cedar cutters.

This well-written story will be appreciated by readers interested in Australian history. As a U.S. citizen, I am not particularly well-versed in Australian history. The story made me want to learn more about Australia’s lawless period. It seems similar to events that transpired in the American West.

There was nothing that I disliked about the story. I have an advance review copy, so I assume that any discrepancies will be edited out before publication. I only found one minor punctuation issue. Nonetheless, because this is an advance review copy, it is not possible for me to know whether the final version of the book is professionally edited.

This work is listed as a children’s book, but I would hesitate to suggest it to younger readers. While not especially graphic, there are descriptions of violent acts perpetrated against both humans and animals. These descriptions could be upsetting to both young and more sensitive readers. Adult discretion is advised in giving this book to children.

I believe that it is important for people to be versed in the real history of their home country and the world at large rather than being taught a sanitized version of history. I feel that this book is suitable for teen and adult readers, introducing them to a difficult and perhaps somewhat shameful period in Australian history. Knowledge of brutal events from the past fosters empathy and a desire to make reparations and engage in more positive behaviors moving forward.

Elizabeth’s Garden is an important, engaging, and well-written story. I give it four out of four stars.

Elizabeth's Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”