Review of Vagabond

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Isabel Gringeri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabel-gringeri.html
Latest Review: Vagabond by Mary A.J.

Review of Vagabond

Post by Isabel Gringeri »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Vagabond" by Mary A.J..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine living life as something other than a human. Cecelia Harow’s day-to-day life is far from normal. As the Princess of Hell, Lucifer’s daughter, her life looks pretty different than ours. She is on the constant run from her father’s demons because she wants to live her half-mortal life instead of the one she had in Hell. It is only when Cecelia finds Cornelia High, a high school in Virginia, that she feels normal (ironic isn’t it). In Mary A.J.’s Vagabond, Cecelia and her new friends Sebastian, Scarlet, Nate, and her newest enemy Alexander, must discover the secrets hidden within their high school.

I absolutely loved this book and can’t wait to read the next one. I was on my toes with every turn of the page, and only wished I had been reading the paper copy of the book so that I could throw it across the room because I was so invested. I didn’t want to break my phone. I would rate this book a 4 out of 4 because of its amazing details and storyline. With the adventure that Cecelia and her friends went through, it felt like I was living in their shoes, exploring their high school with them. It was a truly immersive experience.

If I had to pick something that I disliked about this book, it would be the lack of detail surrounding the side characters. I know, it’s nothing big, but it would have made the characters stand out a bit more instead of just hearing their names without a description. Mary A. J. did an amazing job personifying the main characters, and I really had to stretch to find something that I think could be improved.

As a big fan of Cassandra Clare’s series, The Mortal Instruments and all of its connected works, this book was just how I liked it. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in fantasy, specifically those who are intrigued with the idea of supernatural life living seamlessly with mortal life. The action-packed plotline made me want to keep reading the book instead of going to bed.

Vagabond is nothing like I would have imagined. It was a truly entertaining book that never stopped, all the way to its end. With the romantic plotlines intertwining with friendship, A. J. shows how relationships are important, no matter how unrelated people seem to be. Never doubt the true meaning of friendship.

Vagabond
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Vagabond by Mary A.J.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”