An Unfortunate Fairy Tale series by Chanda Hahn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LoremasterTappa
Favorite Author: Christie Golden
Favorite Book: Depends on the week
Currently Reading: War Crimes by Christie Golden
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 4515

An Unfortunate Fairy Tale series by Chanda Hahn

Post by LoremasterTappa »

If you like classic fairy tales with a little twist, this is a pretty decent series for Young Adults, and it's a terrific price. The first book, Unenchanted, is a free download on the Barnes and Noble website. I first got the ebook because it was free, but after finishing the first one, I decided to purchase the second one (it was only $4). I haven't had time to get the third one yet but I will be adding it to my collection soon.

Small synopsis:
The book is about Mina Grime, who finds out she is a decendant of the Grimm brothers and she is cursed and has to finish some of the Grimms fairy tales in order to lift it.

The thing I like about this series is that Mina is not always the hero of the fairy tale and the author does a great job of incorporating the stories into real life.
kmwoodruff6

Post by kmwoodruff6 »

I love this series! I haven't read the 3rd book yet either. I read the other 2 before the 3rd was released and I kind of forgot to check back for the next one. I should make a special notebook to keep track of upcoming releases for series. I have found so many good series by getting the free 1st book. Brilliant idea for any author working on a series.
toshilou
Favorite Author: Melissa de la Cruz
Favorite Book: The Fault in Our Stars
Currently Reading: The Night Circus
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toshilou.html
Latest Review: "Outcast" by Marc Saville
fav_author_id: 5235

Post by toshilou »

I love that book!!! I got it as a free ebook for my kindle. I have yet to get to the rest of the series, but it's definitely a favorite of mine
Latest Review: "Outcast" by Marc Saville
radsuzy

Post by radsuzy »

I love An Unfortunate Fairy Tale series by Chanda Hahn. I have read the first 3. I love the refreshing twist on the supernatural. If you are Vampire and Werewolfed out, but love the supernatural, this is a excellent choice.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I actually read this book twice. Once after I got it for free, and then again when I wanted to read the second one but I wanted the first to be fresh in my mind as I read it. I was kind of disappointed in the second one. I didn't think it was as good for some reason. How many books do you think there will be? How is it even possible that she will go through every single tale???
Courtney Whittamore
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-whittamore.html
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick

Post by Courtney Whittamore »

I am SUCH A SUCKER for fairytales that are reimagined. Prime example is my obsession with the show Once Upon A Time. Thank you for bringing this series to my attention!!! I will most certainly have to give it a look ASAP. Also the fact that it is budget friendly makes me one happy girl. No price is better than free lol. I am actually going to look it up right now. Thanks so much for the review! Even in the short synopsis I feel like I know what I am getting myself into, and I am excited about it. I am glad the writer doesn't make the main character the hero all of the time... because honestly I am getting a little bored with all of that. Again, thanks for the review!!
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

binge_reader wrote:I am SUCH A SUCKER for fairytales that are reimagined. Prime example is my obsession with the show Once Upon A Time. Thank you for bringing this series to my attention!!! I will most certainly have to give it a look ASAP. Also the fact that it is budget friendly makes me one happy girl. No price is better than free lol. I am actually going to look it up right now. Thanks so much for the review! Even in the short synopsis I feel like I know what I am getting myself into, and I am excited about it. I am glad the writer doesn't make the main character the hero all of the time... because honestly I am getting a little bored with all of that. Again, thanks for the review!!
OMG! Me too! I friend of mine loves fairy tales and wrote her own version of Sleeping beauty set in a modern world but prince charming was a scientist who didn't believe in love. It was adorable. Ever since then, I have been obsessed.
I would recommend "The Poppet and the Lune" by Madeline Claire Franklin! It's so good for fairy tale lovers!
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

This sounds so good! And the first one is free?! I'm going to download it right now!
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

amybo82 wrote:This sounds so good! And the first one is free?! I'm going to download it right now!
Do it. I guess I should point out that it could still use another pass of editing, but the second book in the series was much better in terms of the written quality. But I thought the story of the first book was better overall.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

It sounds good. Since it was free, I bought the book as well and will give it a try.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Snickerdoodle9
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snickerdoodle9.html
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by Snickerdoodle9 »

I have also read this book, and very much enjoyed it. I have not yet bought the others, but I can't wait until I do. It was very interesting, and I loved the twist on the fairy tales. I often like these sort of books that have an unique perspective on the Grimm's tales.
Snowball_96
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowball-96.html

Post by Snowball_96 »

I have really enjoyed these books and recommend them to pretty much anyone. I like that fact this she is the hero instead of the boys. I haven't quite gotten into the last one to finish it, but once I sit down and read it I hope it'll be as good as the others.
Deee
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18984">The Two Towers</a>
Currently Reading: Second Foundation
Bookshelf Size: 1417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deee.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Deee »

It's a good YA series. I've enjoyed the first 3 and will be starting book 4 Reign some time soon.
"But to find out the truth about how dreams die, one should never take the word of the dreamer."

Toni Morrison, The Bluest Eye.
Gypsyluna1

Post by Gypsyluna1 »

My dad is the one who gave me the first book. I loved it. The Grimm stories seem to always be male based the fact that she is writing books that are more female friendly is great. I like how she makes her characters really relatable.
Lorirainbowbright
Favorite Book: An Ember in the Ashes
Currently Reading: Burning Midnight
Bookshelf Size: 249
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorirainbowbright.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Lorirainbowbright »

I have the first one but haven't started it yet. Reading what you guys have said about the book, I can't wait to read it.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”