Review of Black Menagerie

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Review of Black Menagerie

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Black Menagerie" by David Daniels.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I'm not sure why Black Menagerie by David Daniels was categorized as "Young Adult." The book is a classic case of contemporary fantasy, just like the Harry Potter series. Besides, nothing makes it impossible or prohibitive for a teenager or even a child to read this work. The story starts in an orphanage with the hero Thaddeus and an orphan girl nicknamed Mouse.

If readers have the impression that these two young people are irrelevant at the beginning of the book, everything will change as the pages go on. These two characters are so unique that the fate of the world will depend on them. And what is the world like anyway? Although it is a contemporary world, the book describes an environment full of magic, dragons, mages, and people transforming into different beings. As it is only the first book, it is not yet clear how the plot will unfold. The reader has the impression that mages are the antagonists and that the play of forces can change at any time. It's not even sure if the protagonists will be the good guys forever.

There are many positive things in this book: the breadth of imagination, plot, suspense; it's tough to pinpoint what stands out in this fantasy masterpiece. However, I appreciated how the author wrote a work that transports the reader to a magical world without creating a cliché story. Characters are not entirely good or bad. There are many conflicting feelings and even a dark past in the lives of characters who pass for good guys like the patriarch of the Black family. These contradictions add an atmosphere of suspense that makes the book addictive. I am incredibly excited and looking forward to reading the sequel.

Not even if I tried hard, I could find any flaw in this work. There are no typos, plot flaws, or inconsistencies. David Daniels is a seasoned writer who created a book that will undoubtedly go mainstream. I found all the qualities a fantasy classic needs to have in this book, and for that reason, there is nothing negative to mention.

In all relevant respects, Black Menagerie by David Daniels is a great fantasy book that owes nothing to the best books of its kind. It is with great satisfaction that I give it four out of four stars. The author has created an addictive book that will delight the reader from the very first pages. I recommend this book to all fantasy book lovers without exception. I will undoubtedly be on the lookout because I can't miss the chance to review the continuation of this masterpiece.

Black Menagerie
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Intel
Favorite Author: Sarah Dessen
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intel.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
fav_author_id: 3879

Post by Intel »

Hello! Sounds like a great book, with a magical spin for readers to become immersed in. Your review was well written as it gave a great breakdown towards what the book was about and the elusive way the story was written. Maybe I'll give it a read!
Kingsley Emodi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsley-emodi.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kingsley Emodi »

Interesting storyline. Lovers of contemporary fantasy will enjoy this. Great review.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

This seems like a good one! And can we talk about how stunning is the cover? :romance-hearteyes:
Omark
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Omark »

This is the best review with so much love n magical.i like magical reviews like this it makes me feel so much interested.this is the best review I like thank you
Barbara Perini
Currently Reading: Il nome della rosa
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-perini.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Barbara Perini »

This seems to be an interesting book, indeed. It's fascinating that it contains so many positive aspects, such as the breadth of imagination and the fantasy mixed with suspense. I'm glad to know that the book well-structured, and  with well-developed characters. Surely, I'm going to read this one
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

This book will be quite interesting to read. The story line is very captivating. Good review.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

This one seems interesting. The plot also seems quite like non other. Your review is compelling as well. Well done, LinaMueller!
Ra Ka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ra-ka.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Ra Ka »

The book looks interesting and interesting to read. It contains magic, suspense and romance with flawlessly captivating characters. Thanks for the review
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

Quite an intriguing plot we have here. Would definitely love to have this book on my shelf. Great review here.
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

The fantasy book market is saturated. If this work caught your attention, then the author must be very talented indeed. I'll give it a try.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”