The Elite, by Kiera Cass

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
re_aguilar
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-re-aguilar.html

Re: The Elite, by Kiera Cass

Post by re_aguilar »

The Elite was my least favorite book in The Selection series because it gave me the feeling of ending in the same place that the first book ended, even though the reader gets a good kick out of the events that take place and the different emotions that the characters and the reader go through. The main emotion I experienced was frustration from waiting and expectations because of the main characters and circumstances in the plot that get in the way of progress. HOWEVER, I believe that these emotions and waiting takes the reader for a ride that is unforgettable and brings suspense and anticipation to the series, making the third book in the trilogy that much more meaningful and satisfactory.
cherryalakei
Currently Reading: anita blake burnt offerings
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherryalakei.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by cherryalakei »

I really enjoyed The Selection, and sped through it in about 6 hours. I immediately went out to purchase The Elite and sped through it as well. I can see where people saying the writing didn't necessarily match up with the plot was an issue, I kind of felt that way as well. I did still enjoy the book, and as I write this am awaiting my arrival of The One.
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 »

I completely agree. I hated this book. I have a hard time even finding a reason it was necessary to the plot. She just continued to go back and forth between Aspen and Maxon. I honestly dont even remember too much from it. I remember a lot about the One. That was the book I enjoyed the most. She finally got her hands dirty (politically).
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
L Bucher
Currently Reading: King's Cage
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-bucher.html

Post by L Bucher »

I have to agree with you; The Elite by Kiera Cass is my least favorite in the Selection Series. And America slightly frustrated me with her flakiness, but the plot is great. I absolutely LOVED this series, I devoured The Elite so quickly that I almost didn't process everything I read! xD
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

I actually didn't find the book to be that disappointing. Some of the others in the series were better, but this one wasn't bad. I loved the entire selection series too! I read the books that continued the series and they are just as good. :D
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
ande-ny
Currently Reading: The Heir
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ande-ny.html
Reading Device: B01C5QLN7A

Post by ande-ny »

Honestly i really enjoyed them all. I feel like I am that person who kind of just melds all the books together in a series that I'm reading because if I'm really into it I just keep on going. Besides that though I've been stuck on The Heir for awhile some I'm thinking that's not my cup of tea. :?
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

I agree it is the most forgettable book of the first three books. Im currently reading The Heir, and have yet to read The Crown, so I cant speak for the entire series. The whole love triangle seemed old and forced at many times during the book. I think that Kiera Cass wanted to make it so where the readers didnt know if Aspen and Maxon would be with America, but it was pretty obvious :roll: . Personally, I am not a fan of love triangles in YA, unless they are done well. In this case it wasn't that well written. I still love the book for other reasons so I gave it a 3/4 on my shelf.
cherryalakei
Currently Reading: anita blake burnt offerings
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherryalakei.html

Post by cherryalakei »

I think I read Elite the fastest, for the same reason- I couldn't wait to start The One. Although I did really enjoy The Elite, and felt it moved the story well. I have not finished the series though- I only read up to The One. I wasn't sure if I wanted to pick up the Heir or The Crown.
Sarahcaotes
Currently Reading: The Sex Tourist
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Sarahcaotes »

I read this whole series, and I will give it credit for having a creative premise; however, it left much to be desired in the voices of the characters and in the character development. I could see the end coming from about a thousand miles away, and there just wasn't any sufficient conflict, it was too easy. None of this is to say I didn't enjoy the series, but to me reading it was akin to watching old reruns of a show you've already seen, it was pleasurable but not stimulating. In terms of being a semi-dystopian version of the Bachelor, I did find myself rooting for America and Maxon, but I felt he wasn't the strongest character and she could come across as a bit shill. Outside of the two main characters, there is little focus on character description. I haven't read The Heir yet, but I'll likely work my way around to it eventually.
taylorferraro
Favorite Book: Artemis
Currently Reading: Helter Skelter
Bookshelf Size: 109

Post by taylorferraro »

I was just as obsessed with the second book in this series as I was the first one. I read this entire trilogy within one day and will recommend it to anyone that will listen to me!
VSuraj
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vsuraj.html
Latest Review: Justice by Scott Hughes

Post by VSuraj »

The first trilogy was good, and I'm sure most persons on this thread have read the newer ones. But I agree that The Elite didn't match up to the first and third. There were times when I felt like the story was dragging. Overall, it turned out good and The One really got the momentum going!
Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic - J.K. Rowling
Vumana16
Currently Reading: Mixed Blessings
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vumana16.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Vumana16 »

I was really disappointed by the ending, I was really expecting her to leave the competition or realize that she can really make a change by becoming queen. It was really frustrating when she ended up not making a choice again. I haven't read the third book yet because I was disappointed by this one but I will give it another try soon.
“Even if you’ve always been that

Barely-in-the-background kind of guy

You still matter.”
Dear Evan Hansen
Val Emmich
Chiagbanwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiagbanwe.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Chiagbanwe »

I really loved The Elite, given that so much had happened in the first book and more were bound to happen in the last book. The Elite kind of served as a link between the first and third book. All in all, I loooved The Selection series.
Wonderful! Amazing! Breathtaking!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”