Review of Ray Fletcher

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review of Ray Fletcher

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ray Fletcher" by Elrica Steyn.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ray Fletcher by Elrica Steyn is the first book in a series that you will want to add to your library.

Ray will do just about anything to get out of speaking in front of his English class. As a fourteen-year-old boy, this can only mean mischief is afoot. Ray’s father is a scientist and he has been watching him work for quite some time. While doing so he has picked up a few ideas and created a ‘science project’ of his own. His microbots will follow any instruction he gives them; all he has to do is think about it, and they will obey. Upon hearing it is his turn to speak in front of the class, he sends his microbots to set off the school fire alarm. Unfortunately, his antics have caught the eye of the authorities, as well as some unwanted attention from a Russian criminal organization…

Initially, Ray comes across as an ordinary teenager, with ordinary teenager drama. He has a best friend, he likes a girl, and he is forced to deal with school bullies regularly. Upon closer inspection, Ray is, in fact, a genius. His invention is sophisticated, his mind is quick to analyze dangerous situations, and he can get himself out of almost anything if he sets his mind to it.

The character development in this book was noteworthy and the writing style was simple but had a very good flow. There is enough action to keep you turning the pages without being overly dramatic.

This book was written with a younger audience in mind, and I would highly recommend it to readers from age 12 and up. There is no profanity or scenes of a sexual nature. I would also recommend it to anyone looking for an up-and-coming new action hero series to follow. However, if you are looking for gore or adult themes, then this book is not for you. You should also steer clear if you do not intend to read the series because the first book ends on a cliffhanger. I believe this series is going to be an excellent addition to my library.

There was an unfortunate amount of spelling and grammar errors throughout the book that leads me to believe it was not professionally edited. Since this can substantially impede the flow of reading, I am forced to give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. Should this book undergo a decent round of editing, I would be happy to revise my score. There is simply nothing to dislike about the story or the characters.

Ray Fletcher
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

Ray is an interesting character,for a fourteen year old boy I think he knows too much and it’s impressive,nice review.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

Truly, this book would suit young readers. Great to read this review.
Elisa Joy Ocasla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisa-joy-ocasla.html
Latest Review: Speech! by Simon Prentis

Post by Elisa Joy Ocasla »

The book indeed has a fantastic storyline. The author has arrived to establish good characters that each reader may resonate with. Great review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”