Review of Christmas As Before

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Review of Christmas As Before

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Christmas As Before" by James C Reinhold.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How great would experiencing Christmas in the 1960s be? As a lover of the holiday, I would do this in a heartbeat. In my opinion, technology has caused disconnections with family and friends during the holidays. James C. Reinhold seems to share this same observation in his book titled Christmas as Before. Mr. Reiller is a substitute teacher who wants to discuss Christmas with his students before they break for the holidays. Unfortunately, the students make fun of his childhood memories of Christmas and tell him how times are better now than before. John, Troy, Alex, and Faye bully him the most and even started calling him names. After they leave class and start hanging out in the hallway, one of the other student’s clothing starts changing right before their eyes! Once outside, Troy stops a boy to ask what year it is. Imagine Troy’s reaction when the kid tells him that it is 1967! How did they get sent back in time? How different will Christmas be without cell phones or TikTok? Is Mr. Reiller really who he says he is? Pick up a copy of this book to find out.

What I liked most about this title was how vivid the descriptions are of the activities the teens did. I can imagine seeing the lighting of the Christmas tree in the town square and the food from the nearby restaurants. I felt great joy when reading how much fun John, Troy, Alex, and Faye had while sledding and having a snowball fight. Even though I haven’t participated in snow activities yet, I appreciated investing my emotional side into the kids’ happiness and excitement.

I also loved learning about how different things were during the 60s. Women did not receive equal treatment; in fact, women did not have jobs then and were the only ones responsible for household duties. This stereotype became obvious when Tory offered to help his mom in the kitchen, which displeased his father. One of the Christmas gifts Faye received is another example of stereotypical ideals that existed in the 60s.

Alas, there are a couple of things that I feel need improvement. The author did not introduce the families of the teens early on in the book. Because of this, I could not connect with them when they were mentioned later because I knew hardly anything about them. There were also some grammatical errors in the title, but there were not enough to deduct a star. However, I am sure that this title could benefit from another round of editing.

Even though I had dislikes about this book, they are not enough to discredit how much I enjoyed reading it. This genre is not one that I typically read, and I am pleased to say that this novel captured my attention completely. Christmas as Before deserves the highest rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Teenagers who aren’t fully appreciative of Christmas should give this book a try. Adult readers who love Christmas will likely enjoy it too; this is especially true for those alive during the 1960s. There was one instance of profanity, but it mimics the language that teenagers use today. A few short romantic scenes are also present within this fictional tale. The book has a centralized theme of Christmas, but it does not use heavy religious ideals. One of the kids briefly attends church, but no Bible verses or anything similar is in the descriptions.

I also want to mention that the book ends on a cliffhanger and heavily implies a sequel is coming. I hope that it is published soon because this story is perfect for a holiday season read. As soon as the author releases the next book, I will be picking up a copy.

Christmas As Before
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

I have the same opinion that technology has caused the great disconnection. I would love this Christmas book.
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

I strongly believe that technology separates families and unions,am a victim,I think this would be a great book to read, nice review.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I am really curious about this time-traveling story (will they go back to their time?). Thank you for the review!
Elisa Joy Ocasla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisa-joy-ocasla.html
Latest Review: Speech! by Simon Prentis

Post by Elisa Joy Ocasla »

Reading this book made me wanna relish the Christmas season again. The story line is compelling and this is a perfect read, in my opinion. Thanks for this review!
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

I always love Christmas series and movies and I have no doubt I’m going to love this book.
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

Nazzy_ wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 09:52 I have the same opinion that technology has caused the great disconnection. I would love this Christmas book.

I totally agree. Do you see the irony of it though!
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I love Christmas, can't wait for it to come, beautiful review.
Ntombifuthi Londi
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

Although technology has made our lives easier, it has also taken away time from us to spend with our loved ones. Christmas isn't quite the same as it used to be. The book sounds fascinating, and I'd like to read it. Excellent analysis.
M Jansen
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Currently Reading: The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-jansen.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by M Jansen »

Wow as a Christmas lover I am definitely going to read this when it is that time of the year again. The technological aspects seem weird when thinking about a Christmas book, but that makes it so exciting, thank you for your review.
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

I agree technology has impacted the closeness between families.
Great review🍀
:tiphat:
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

I agree that technology causes distractions between families. The holidays should be a time when people can put away their devices and come together as one. Great review!
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

The review makes the book seem very exciting and I'd love to give it a try. Reading about specific christmas traditions seems like wrapping a warm, comfortable blanket around myself and definitely convinces me to read this.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”