Review of Hold on please, Emily

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review of Hold on please, Emily

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hold on please, Emily" by Doris Siu.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hold on please, Emily by Doris Siu pivoted me into a journey of self-discovery! I laughed, I cried, I smiled, I frowned.

Emily is young and talented, but due to losing both her parents in a car crash at the tender age of fourteen, she has become reclusive. She throws herself into her studies and aims to excel in her music by gaining access to the most exclusive music school. Her standards for herself are high. She refuses to be distracted, even when the handsome young Max abruptly enters her life. After the essential meet-cute, Emily and Max become quick friends over a shared love for music and coffee, but Emily’s plans for her future are interrupted when she is diagnosed with an aggressive brain tumor.

When I initially chose the book for review, I was expecting a coming-of-age young adult novel, but I was pleasantly surprised at the immense growth the characters portrayed. Facing challenges like loss, isolation, love, and mortality at such a young age can be a daunting task. Essentially the support of her loved ones and her love for music is what gave her the strength to push forward at times when most people would have given up.

The supporting characters in this book play a massive role in how Emily deals with all the tragic events that befall her, and I have to remove my hat at how understated, yet boldly they are written into her story.

My emotions took a supreme rollercoaster ride throughout. I found myself craving a cup of coffee and listening to the inspired and moving supporting soundtrack even when I wasn’t reading the book. The author’s motivation behind the book, music, and website brought tears to my eyes.

I rarely choose to copy text from a novel that I have reviewed, but a passage that I found poignant could not go unmentioned: “My baldness may have encapsulated cancer’s realities of life and death, but it also promoted strength, empowerment, and beauty for anyone battling cancer. It was part of me.” It simply reminded me of the strong people in my own life that have battled cancer. Some won. Some lost. It is not easy to watch someone try to fight this disease, and after reading this novel, I feel that I have a better understanding of what they may have experienced while doing so.

Because the book does not contain any profanity or scenes of a sexual nature, I feel that I can safely recommend this book to all ages. It is a severely emotional story, so I would not recommend it to someone looking for a light read. If you are looking for something to pull at your heartstrings or give you a better understanding of what someone facing a possible terminal illness might experience, then this book along with its majestic soundtrack will be an excellent choice for you.

I only came across a handful of errors, leading me to believe that this book was professionally edited before publication. There was nothing I disliked about this novel. I am tremendously delighted to score this book 4 out of 4 stars and hope to read more work from this author soon.

Hold on please, Emily
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ohemengbernard
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ohemengbernard »

I like the character of Emily already! Young, vibrant and very focused. But as often is the case, life dealt her a rough hand. They are many Emilys out there today. I think the author did a superb job too
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

This looks a beautiful book with a story that's meant to make you think. I'm glad I saw this.
Thank you for this review.
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am a lover of action stories. This one about Emily and Max does not seem to be that. While I am not opposed to such things, this novel sounds more about the development of the characters. Thanks for the review.
Priya_Singh
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-singh.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Priya_Singh »

Well honestly I am glad I came across this review. I already like the character of Emily even though I haven't read the book. I would love to read this book. Thank you so much for the lovely review.🌼🌻
Courtney Hughes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-hughes.html
Latest Review: Summer in the City by Kevin Phelps

Post by Courtney Hughes »

Wow! What a delightfully heavy sounding book. I love a good emotional story every now and then. I will put this on my future list to read. I like being inside the main character’s thoughts and feelings especially when it has to do with someone so difficult. It’s interesting to see how one deals with what life gives you.
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

This looks like a beautiful and empowering story. I also am already in awe of Emily!
Precious DA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-da.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Precious DA »

This seems like an emotional and amazing book. Emily appears to be a character of strength and I would love to see where this book goes. Thanks for the amazing review.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

This book seems motivating and offers comfort. Amazing review
Uzzy_Reviews
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am moved by stories of people with overriding circumstances. Especially someone who is as young and has already gone through as much as Emily.
eman1013
Currently Reading: Twin Flames
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by eman1013 »

Wonderful! What a book with a delightfully heavy voice. I like a good romance story now and then
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

Emily as a main character has be described well by the reviewer. Eager to read more about her life
Nurul Adila
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nurul Adila »

If only Emily has her parents, I would totally envision James Arthur to be her father, and he wrote the song “Dear Emily” for her. Her passion for music would be inherited from her father and hopefully, with the love she gained from her parent, she would not be too invested in her studies and music and pay some attention to her surrounding. Maybe then, she would realized that she is not alone in this world and that there are peple that love her.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”