Dorothy Must Die

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Phillymom80
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2970">The Cuckoo's Calling</a>
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phillymom80.html

Re: Dorothy Must Die

Post by Phillymom80 »

At first I wasn't sure how I was gonna feel about the book, but I kept seeing posts of it on Instagram and while in target I was walking threw the books and it caught my eye.. I wasn't even looking for it so I know I had to read it, well I'm currently reading it and I love it, I like the twist on oz and the darker side of Dorothy. Mind u I have never read the wizard of oz past the first book but I have a few on my kindle for my daughter. Anyways I'm more then halfway threw and I'm looking for the 2nd in the series. I'm hooked.
rosaesposito
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosaesposito.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by rosaesposito »

I loved this book! I thought it was originally done from the classic tale and that the writing style was fresh. I would recommend this to anyone who likes the modernized twist on classic tales. I cannot wait to read the next book.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I recently read the second book in this series. The first one was very original and interesting. I enjoyed the fresh take on what would happen to oz if outside magic became corrupted. The second book was just as strong and kept me glued to the book until I was finished. I can't wait for the third!
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
KitKat_Reader
Favorite Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat-reader.html
Latest Review: "Hat of Keepings" by D.C. Vincent
fav_author_id: 3662

Post by KitKat_Reader »

I saw the first book and it just sounded so interesting. I mean a dark Wizard of Oz; who wouldn't want to read that? I could barely put the book down and immediately picked up the second book when I got the chance. The writing is fantastic and I love the author's take on the original characters and how the characters she added meshed together so well with them.
Latest Review: "Hat of Keepings" by D.C. Vincent
bettiannasbookcrush
Currently Reading: The Moon and More
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettiannasbookcrush.html

Post by bettiannasbookcrush »

This book was amazing, I'm really looking forward to reading the next book in this series despite all of the bad reviews.

Dorothy Must Die was a very humorous book for me and kept me entertained the entire way through.
*NOTE* If you are looking to read this book because you think it will be like "The Wizard of Oz" you will most likely be disappointed because this is more of a twist on that book, where bad is good and good is bad.
StefanieB312
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stefanieb312.html

Post by StefanieB312 »

I love this series. I have read the first couple of books and novellas. I just bought the book for my son to enjoy also. This book is the most interesting twist on a classic I have read in a long time. I never considered what would happen to Dorothy after Oz, and this book shows what can happen when someone gets too inflated with their own self worth and power. Even though it is complete fantasy, it is a realistic take on how someone can get so twisted. I cannot wait to see what happens next in this series.
Taylor Hagen
Currently Reading: Reached
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-hagen.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Taylor Hagen »

I want to read this book so badly! I just have not been able to get my hands on a copy of it! :(
zaynab_m
Favorite Author: J. K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Currently Reading: Rilla of Ingleside
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynab-m.html
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael

Post by zaynab_m »

I loved the first book a lot, but the second slightly less. Though Nox is still awesome! :mrgreen:
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael
TeenageDreamer

Post by TeenageDreamer »

Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige is an interesting new take on The Wizard Of Oz that has not been seen before. It brings back to life the wonders of Oz while simultaneously creating something completely new. The main character is very interesting and makes many unexpected choices, keeping you on the edge of your seat the entire time. Nothing is as it seems, and you are definitely not in Kansas anymore.
PaulaSofia
Currently Reading: You
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by PaulaSofia »

My daughter loves these, I haven't gotten to them yet. I do know the third was released today I think (trip to B&N this weekend no doubt) :roll:
alexg24

Post by alexg24 »

I loved this book!! I gave it 5 out of 5 stars. The action and suspense kept me wanting to read more and I couldn't put it down!
bouwman_530
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by bouwman_530 »

I enjoyed reading this book (Dorothy Must Die), the plot was good, the characters were enough like themselves with enough of a twist to make it worth while, and the imagery was amazing. However, the main character I thought came off kind of whiny, which I was surprised, in the original, Dorothy is just working to get home and is friendly, while this character, who I thought would be more wholesome, is cynical. Still worth the read, after the warning, recommended and will read the next books.

-- 08 Apr 2016, 11:59 --

I enjoyed reading this book (Dorothy Must Die), the plot was good, the characters were enough like themselves with enough of a twist to make it worth while, and the imagery was amazing. However, the main character I thought came off kind of whiny, which I was surprised, in the original, Dorothy is just working to get home and is friendly, while this character, who I thought would be more wholesome, is cynical. Still worth the read, after the warning, recommended and will read the next books.
mariaestrada
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariaestrada.html

Post by mariaestrada »

I'm obsessed with this series
BrightSideKC
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brightsidekc.html

Post by BrightSideKC »

This book was amazing. It was so nice to see someone that was previously loved turn into a martyr, murdered due to her belief that magic was only for the elite, and everyone else could be forgotten for good.

I loved the thoughts of Amy Gumm, especially her sarcasm and determination to succeed in bringing Dorothy down.

Without giving anything away, I can't wait to reread it all again. :D
Mrsallaspects

Post by Mrsallaspects »

I am completely beyond Obsessed with this Series! I absolutely couldn't put it down. Now, I am just completely disappointed because there is no discussion of another book in the series, and to be honest, I feel it is completely unfinished. It is almost like listening to someone's amazing story, and then telling you at the most juicy part, they have forgotten the rest of it. hope Danielle Paige Does Series' for all of the childhood favorites! It allows me to be an adult and still love my childhood books and bedtime stories.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”