Review of A Phoenix Rises

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Review of A Phoenix Rises

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Phoenix Rises" by Angela Yeh.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Phoenix Rises by Angela Yeh is a fast-pacing adventure fantasy novel that follows a fourteen-year-old protagonist named Maya. On her way to school, Maya makes an unfortunate detour into Harrow`s lands. This coincides with the Queen`s soldiers’ arrival on their small village of Golten. She narrowly escapes them and reveals this to her closest friend Alban, who is obsessed with adventure. When the Queen`s men unexpectedly come to the school to question who trespassed on Harrow`s land, Alban takes the blame hoping for an adventure. Soon Maya learns that her whole life has been a lie, and Alban has gone missing from the village. She learns that she is the true heir to the Voldarian throne and the truth about her parent`s death. She embarks on a journey to Paiwan to safely learn about her magic and to seek safety from the Queen`s soldiers. Esa, her grandmother, warns her about the darkness within her and the danger her magic might pose. She ensures that Maya is accompanied by Harrow whose past is as much a mystery to Maya as her Gram`s. Will Maya reach Paiwan safely? Will they give her sanctuary from the soldiers hunting Maya and Harrow? Will she learn about her magic and how to control it? Will the darkness within overwhelm Maya? All these questions are answered in this amazing book.

The book has many themes highlighted like family, love, secrecy, magic, deceit, grief, loss, trust, crime, treachery, responsibility, friendship, and governance. The author used these themes masterfully to craft a captivating plot that kept me reading non-stop. The themes that stood out the most to me were responsibility and governance. The protagonist spent the entire book evolving her definition of what a good leader should be. Maya also begins her journey throughout Voldaria as a responsibility to find Alban. The theme of magic was very significant to the protagonist and her characterization. Growing up with the notion that all magic is evil and later finding out you have magic made for a great progression on Maya`s character.

A critical part of the book to me was the characterization. Maya is a unique protagonist who lives a sheltered life in a small village. We get a unique chance to experience Voldaria through her eyes as well as learn about magic from a beginner`s eyes. Her unique characterization also gave way to the best worldbuilding that I have read in such a long time. Every sentence held a unique piece of the world and there was no information dump. The world of Voldaria unfolded perfectly from one chapter to the next and no map was necessary. Though other characters were not explored as broadly as Maya, I found entertainment in Harrow`s past. His relationship with Esa and Seth built an amazing dynamic for me.

The book had a lot of positive aspects that I appreciated like the worldbuilding, the characterization, and the fast-paced plot. The only thing that I disliked about this book was the errors I encountered. Despite them being sporadic, they did affect the rhythm of my reading and forced me to pause more than once. Due to this, I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars.

The book would be perfect for readers of adventure, action, thriller, and fantasy fiction. The book would not appeal to readers of non-fiction books. A big part of this book for me is that it is a standalone book. I felt a little disheartened to say goodbye to all the amazing characters, but I am looking forward to more books from this author.

A Phoenix Rises
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

This is a very interesting book. Reading your review gave me a bit of an adrenaline rush wondering what kind of adventure I would be going on reading this book.
Odesh254
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Odesh254 »

Sometimes struggles are exactly what we need in our life. If we were to go through our life without any obstacles, we would be crippled. We would not be as strong as what we could have been. Give every opportunity a chance, leave no room for regrets
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

The book sounds like an interesting read, and I love the plot. The author has chosen a catchy title. Great review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

It's great that the author managed to create a whole world. That little writer knows. Thanks for the good review.
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

What a detailed review it is. I would love to read this book soon.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

Seems like it would be an interesting read. Thanks for the review!
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

The fire ans beast of fire are adventures to read. They have something special to hold on a reader on the edge of a chair. The revolution of review is fine and deliberate. Thank you.
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

Seeing your explicit and astounding review on this masterpiece made me wanna try reading it. Thank you for this great review!
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

I love adventure novels, sounds like a book that will take you to one thrilling bumpy ride, as many secrets is unravel to Maya and who she truly is. Thanks for your thought on this book.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”