REVIEW! If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BloggerFangirl
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bloggerfangirl.html

REVIEW! If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Post by BloggerFangirl »

If I Stay is a haunting read that will stay with you days after you finish. This book hit me hard because I identified with Mia, her family reminded me of my family and I felt their loss deep in my soul. I sobbed hours after finished and it took cuddling with little bro to calm down. This book is difficult to read but so worth it.

The characters were all so likable and fantastic which makes my heart hurt. Mia is a teenager with her life ahead of her and her out-of-body experience is terrifying. Teddy, her mom and dad were big parts of her family and having to read the happy flashbacks makes it so much worse because you realize that there won't be anymore happy moments.
Adam was so lovable and adorable. He and his dramatic gestures to see her were all around painful. He was so heart-broken that you could feel his pain. Her family and friends were so good to have in the book because you saw that they wouldn't blame her if she left. The words her grandfather said to her hit me hard and I could not shake them.

I lost any semblance of composure when she found out Teddy died because I have a little brother that same age. If I had to live without him or my parents would not be a life. I don't know if i would stay like Mia did because without my family there would be no me. I dread seeing how she has to go through life now but she chose to live. I don't want to see her regret it.
Tianarenee3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tianarenee3.html

Post by Tianarenee3 »

Absolutely loved this book. Can't wait for the movie to come out in the summer too.
Believe_15
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading: The Longest Ride -- Nicholas Sparks
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Believe_15 »

I completely agree. This is a very heartfelt book and I cried while reading the book and afterwards. I agree that I am not sure I could have made the same decision Mia did to stay alive. Have you read the sequel to this book, Where She Went? Also a very good read!
heshma_m
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heshma-m.html

Post by heshma_m »

I absolutely loved this book. I couldn't get it out of my mind for days. Though I haven't read the sequel of this book.
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

I loved the book. It was a emotional read for sure. The movie was great too.
Kathryn Price
Currently Reading: The Fifth Season
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-price.html
Latest Review: The Doughnut Boy by Michael R. Dennis

Post by Kathryn Price »

This book was incredible, and almost the exact opposite of a book I just commented about: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. Both books make the same point, though - that living is worth it. I haven't read many books in this particular vein but these two are my favorites of those.
“If you believe only in facts and forget stories, your brain will live, but your heart will die” ― Cassandra Clare, Lord of Shadows
ilovebooks2
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by ilovebooks2 »

Great review, BloggerFangirl! I've seen the movie but haven't had a chance to read the book yet. I'll have to get it now!
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

Omg i cried soo much reading this book. For a while I wanted her to go because the pain she'll feel will be unbearable. Definitely one of my favorite books.
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

This is an unpopular opinion but I honestly hated this book from start to finish and it was very difficult to read. I had a hard time believing any of the events or connecting emotionally to each character. Their personalities came off as forced and fabricated and I felt a total disconnect from their dilemma. When I saw there was a second book, I was genuinely disappointed because a premise like the first one is really a one-and-done kind of deal. The second book is basically unrelated to the first.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

Serena_Charlotte wrote: 10 Oct 2018, 01:17 This is an unpopular opinion but I honestly hated this book from start to finish and it was very difficult to read. I had a hard time believing any of the events or connecting emotionally to each character. Their personalities came off as forced and fabricated and I felt a total disconnect from their dilemma. When I saw there was a second book, I was genuinely disappointed because a premise like the first one is really a one-and-done kind of deal. The second book is basically unrelated to the first.
While I have a different opinion of the first book (I enjoyed it, but to each their own), I do agree that even the idea of a second book is a little disappointing. I did read it because I was curious as to how Mia's life progressed, but it wasn't really about her. There are some stories that leave me craving more, but I felt that the first book was nicely contained.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Egbulefu precious

Post by Egbulefu precious »

The book seem to be vast and broad...not really easy to understand though the events attached to it Seem real... especially that of Mia's life
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

I didn't try the book, but I was all in tears watching the movie. I guess the book will be more of a great read!
bdu15062
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bdu15062.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by bdu15062 »

If I Stay is such a touching novel it really is so sad. Its such a good read though and the movie is really sad too.
camillegermo
Currently Reading: This Will Only Hurt a Little
Bookshelf Size: 71

Post by camillegermo »

I actually liked the movie more than the book in this case. I read it after I watched the movie, which I cried uncontrollably to. I just didn't get the same effect from the book.
Peyton Hicks
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peyton-hicks.html
Latest Review: Peppermint Mocha Murder by Pam Moll

Post by Peyton Hicks »

I've watched the movie and read the book and both were RIDICULOUSLY GOOD. I can't say enough about this book. When I'm at work in the library and a teen comes up to me not really knowing what to read next this is almost always the first thing I suggest. Sometimes the popular books are good gateway books for teens who have never really been interested in reading!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”