Review of This Our Faith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of This Our Faith

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "This Our Faith" by John Leslie Hart.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sydney is the protagonist of the story. He grew up on a farm with his younger brother, LaMar, and other family members. The story recounts when he and his younger brother are, but LaMar is in serious injury; unresponsive and immobile. Dad is not a pious man; however, this day he makes an exception. He makes a prayer and asks God to heal his son. This doesn’t seem to work as LaMar’s condition isn’t getting any better.

Sydney’s mum’s faith and devotion to God are relentless. On the contrary, Dad’s vendetta towards religion is now evident. This is not good for the family; nonetheless, Sydney must do all it takes to keep the household together. This Our Faith by John Leslie Hart is packed with themes of Family, love, and religion.

This is not your ‘once upon a time’ stories that grip you from the beginning. In lieu, we have a tale that requires concentration for one to conceptualize the story’s plot. Sluggish from time to time, the family dynamics kept me going. Sydney was willing to cope with his parents’ different opinions of religion while striving towards keeping his family united. His determination was what I enjoyed most about the book. Additionally, the descriptions of the characters’ physiques were quite vivid. Nat, for instance, had “blond hair cropped short on top, combed long and back on the sides.”

I found numerous tough words included in the book. I had to seek their meanings for easier comprehension. Also, the introduction was not quite gripping. I had to follow the first few pages to understand the installment’s storyline. The PDF format opened halfway through its pages. The work was complete, but this squeezed the wording making the sentences’ font too small. These were the things I disliked about this publication.

One thing that stood out was the exceptional editing, as there were no grammatical errors. Parked with numerous characters, each of them contributed to the success of the book. This work transported me to the old school living; a farm with cattle, hay, and chicken. With a few slang, the informal language spiced it up. Emotions get the better part of the family while discussing LaMar’s health in the hospital. However, Mom kept encouraging them to remain positive and say a word of prayer for him. For the aforementioned dislikes, I rate this work 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who enjoy reading family-themed installments.

This Our Faith
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

This sounds like an inspirational read. In spite of the dislikes you have mentioned, I will have to read this one. Thank you for your great review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like that the book focuses on both family values ​​and faith.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

I have a hard time reading books that do not grab my attention right from the beginning. It sounds like this would not be the book for me.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

The title caught my attention. However, from the description you provided, it does not sound like a very good book. Thank you for the informative review.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

I love motivational books, and despite your review, I am reading this one. Thanks regardless!
Faithuba
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Faithuba »

Seems like a book I would love to read because it’s relate to a part of my life
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I usually like a fast-paced book, but this one seems interesting. Thank you for your recommendation and brilliant description!
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

Everyone has a different set of faiths and beliefs. I believe we must respect each other's faiths to maintain a harmony in society. Thank you for this wonderful review and pleasant surprise.
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

I remember myself reading a lengthy book filled with unfamiliar terms, in which for me, an obligation to do so. Given the circumstance, I don’t think I can give this book a try.
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

I'm currently struggling with my own faith so I think the book could be of some assistance. Thank you for the review.
Friday Nwagbara
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Friday Nwagbara »

Sometimes our faith is tested and at such times all we need is to cling tenaciously to what we believe. I recommend the book for those whose faith are on trial now. Thank you for the wonderful review.
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

This book would go a long way in the life of people who finds it hard to believe in themselves. Great review.
Amynwankwo_
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amynwankwo.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

It’s always important to give some books a chance😂. This book sounds very inspiring and I’d like to know what happened to LaMar and how it changed the family. Great review by the way, well done!
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

This book seems a little slow for me, but I will give it a try. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”